stem cell replacement...

Because it is a harder more dangerous life; you're more likely to have a violent experience, more likely not to get a good job, more likely to not get as many dates, more likely not to have as many friends, the list goes on. A cure won't solve all your problems, but I'd rather have the choice. So, I think it's a good thing we have a choice in our lives.

That's not due to lack of hearing thou. It's due to the fact that we're a minority. Other minorities face ALL those things too........should we work on a cure for them?

Drum roll and a cymbal crash, please... That was funny!

However, I did go ahead and contacted Dr. Baumgartner just out of curiousity, since I'm about 15 mi from that facility, I think. I've offered myself to be a test subject in a future or current study on prelingually deaf adults, if there is one. We'll see what happens...

deafdrummer, even if it works, its very unlikely that preligionally deaf adults or even kids will benefit. Even babies might not benefit.

Besides, be careful what you wish for...it might not be what you wanted.I actually underwent surgery that would have made me hearing. I really wanted to be hearing. It failed. At the time I was devastated but in actuality it was the best thing in the world for me.
Being deaf isn't about being dysfunctional with no hearing.....it's more like gay vs straight.

Besides, be careful what you wish for...it might not be what you wanted.I actually underwent surgery that would have made me hearing. I really wanted to be hearing. It failed. At the time I was devastated but in actuality it was the best thing in the world for me.
Being deaf isn't about being dysfunctional with no hearing.....it's more like gay vs straight.

I will never understand how you can compare hearing loss with sexual orientation.....that's just so bizarre.

Besides, be careful what you wish for...it might not be what you wanted.I actually underwent surgery that would have made me hearing. I really wanted to be hearing. It failed.

What do you mean it failed? What happened?

I will never understand how you can compare hearing loss with sexual orientation.....that's just so bizarre.

How? Not so long ago sexual orenitation WAS medically pathologized. In the early seventies GLB people were pathologized as "straight impaired"
It's all in how you look at things.

What do you mean it failed? What happened?

I was born with no earcanals. I underwent canalplasty which was supposed to restore my hearing. It worked initially, but then the canals closed up. Best thing that ever happened to me, as I realized I had simply not come to terms with being HOH. (especially since I was brought up under a hearing health/hearing impaired world view)

Well, that's a different story than what I have. Everything seems to be in place, except I'm profoundly deaf, and my hearing seems to be asleep in discrimination ability. My hearing ability is rudimentary in a lot of ways, but I can do so much with it. I think it goes by a case-by-case basis.

How? Not so long ago sexual orenitation WAS medically pathologized. In the early seventies GLB people were pathologized as "straight impaired"
It's all in how you look at things.

I'm curious why all topics seem to lead back to being GLB. Is that the only way you rationalize everything? Deafness isn't like sex. It's just the hand you're dealt.

Laura

I'm curious why all topics seem to lead back to being GLB. Is that the only way you rationalize everything? Deafness isn't like sex. It's just the hand you're dealt.

Laura

Being GLB is not about sex. It's about a culture and a worldview of romanticly loving a same sex partner.....it's also a hand you're dealt. I didn't chose to be gay. I found myself at 15 in love with an amazing woman.
I use the GLB example, as an example.....but I could have used say for example Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye.....but the GLB experience pretty much mirrors the Deaf experience.....I remember talking about that with my second Mom, a few years ago. Nancy is GAY, and is also fluent in ASL, and reconized a lot of the corralations too.

That's not due to lack of hearing thou. It's due to the fact that we're a minority. Other minorities face ALL those things too........should we work on a cure for them?

We are a minority due to a physical limitation, it's what makes us a minority. These two things are inextricably intertwined.

Being GLB is not about sex. It's about a culture and a worldview of romanticly loving a same sex partner.....it's also a hand you're dealt. I didn't chose to be gay. I found myself at 15 in love with an amazing woman.
I use the GLB example, as an example.....but I could have used say for example Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye.....but the GLB experience pretty much mirrors the Deaf experience.....I remember talking about that with my second Mom, a few years ago. Nancy is GAY, and is also fluent in ASL, and reconized a lot of the corralations too.

I don't think it has so much to do with cultural conditioning as physical ability. You can pretend to hear or pretend to be a certain way, but, on a physical level, your body does not have that ability.

I do identify with people of a minority because I'm in a minority so I can see the comparison.

deafdyke said:
please tell me what kind of surgery....why it failed...what went wrong with it

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

I don't think it has so much to do with cultural conditioning as physical ability. You can pretend to hear or pretend to be a certain way, but, on a physical level, your body does not have that ability.

I do identify with people of a minority because I'm in a minority so I can see the comparison.

Have you not heard of the Disabilty Rights way of thinking? This is a theory that it's not the actual condition that causes inequality.....rather it's man made and cultural barriers that causes inequality.
A person in a wheelchair is stuck in an enviorment with steps and no curb cuts, and high shelves, and other inqualites. But if you modify those things (with curb cuts, grab bars etc) then they are independent and not disabled.....Yes, my body doesn't have the abilty to hear, BUT I can and do adapt to it very well......I can't hear, but I don't see myself as being hearing impaired, just like the way I can't be attracted to men, but I don't see myself as being straight impaired.

We are a minority due to a physical limitation, it's what makes us a minority. These two things are inextricably intertwined.

It's only a limitation if you let it be. Oscar Pistorisos has a "physical limitation", due to having no legs. But he still kicked ass at the Olympics.
And being dhh does not confer global limitations.......those of us who are dhh have advantages in that we have much sharper sight then hearing people. Besides, we can turn off our hearing, and hearing people can't......I know a lot of hearing people who have told me that they wish they could turn off their hearing!

It's only a limitation if you let it be. Oscar Pistorisos has a "physical limitation", due to having no legs. But he still kicked ass at the Olympics.
And being dhh does not confer global limitations.......those of us who are dhh have advantages in that we have much sharper sight then hearing people. Besides, we can turn off our hearing, and hearing people can't......I know a lot of hearing people who have told me that they wish they could turn off their hearing!

I need to wear glasses, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. We don't have sharper/better vision, we pay more attention to what we see, just a little different. I've read that we have better peripheral vision though, but again, that's paying more attention to what we see, not that hearing people can't see well peripherally, they're just don't use it/rely on it as much.

Back