Cochlear or No Cochlear?

hmorris6

Reaction score
Hello :wave:
I am a hearing girl and i was wondering what the deaf and hoh thought about cochlear implants. I know that many are happy with who they are and dont want to try to change who they are but others want to be able to hear or hear more than they already do. And is getting a cochlear as a child the best thing of a parent to do or should you wait until the child is old enough to decide on their own? I wasnt sure how most of you feel about it and i am really interested. I would love to hear what you think.:hmm:

This thread would be more appropriate in the hearing aids and cochlear implant section.

I noticed by your posts that you are "very interested in deaf culture", so I suggest you take the time to read the many threads in this forum, including the countless threads that discuss the very same topics you are asking about.

I am a hearing girl and i was wondering what the deaf and hoh thought about cochlear implants. I know that many are happy with who they are and dont want to try to change who they are but others want to be able to hear or hear more than they already do. And is getting a cochlear as a child the best thing of a parent to do or should you wait until the child is old enough to decide on their own? I wasnt sure how most of you feel about it and i am really interested. I would love to hear what you think.:hmm:

Well, I don't think you should get cochlear implants. You already have your hearing.

I'm sure deaf kids will love CI. Just think of those parents who would love to turbocharge a Toyota Echo or Ford Focus. Those kids would love to hear the sound of turbo engine go vrooooommmmm!!!!

Why do so many hearing people come on here and try to restart this old fight?

There are countless locked threads where people's emotions overcame them and it got nasty.

There ought to be a clearly announced rule that anyone who does this just gets an immediate perma ban.

Im so sorry I just started learning about the deaf culture and I noticed that was a big issue, understandably. I really was just wanting your options on this. Im sorry if I upset anyone.

Why do so many hearing people come on here and try to restart this old fight?

There are countless locked threads where people's emotions overcame them and it got nasty.

There ought to be a clearly announced rule that anyone who does this just gets an immediate perma ban.

I agree, and some were duplicate accounts.

First, if you have questions, ask them. Do not let a few old grumps stop you from learning about something that interests you.

As a parent of a deaf child, I can honestly tell you there is no one "best thing" a parent can do, not just with cochlear implants but with almost every aspect of their lives. Each child is different as is each and every family situation. The decision we made for our child was the best one we determined for her, not for some community or culture or for any other child, but for her and her alone.

The studies and research as well as personal experiences have overwhelmingly demonstrated that for children, to maximize the benefits of the cochlear implant, children should be implanted as soon as possible after the onset of deafness. As parents it is our obligation to act in our child's best interest and to sometimes make tough decisions without the benefit of hindsight. Choosing not to implant your child is every bit a decision as choosing to implant and comes with its own ramifications and consquences.

Hope that helps.
Rick

Honestly, I am one of those people who keeps get emails from new members on this site, and see many threads that have the same exact questions as this one, and many other topics. I have contributed to those threads, go check them out. I'm not going to re-post my answers/responses again on yet, another thread, or email. Sorry.

Honestly, I am one of those people who keeps get emails from new members on this site, and see many threads that have the same exact questions as this one, and many other topics. I have contributed to those threads, go check them out. I'm not going to re-post my answers/responses again on yet, another thread, or email. Sorry.

So you know now. :aw:

Back