Indiana religious objections bill signed for stores owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it cuts both ways...
The question matters. I see it only a matter of time before the same.tactics are used against gays as it has been.for christians..as in.
Identify a gay bussiness, if the loot is there, target it by a set up. As in.order something so repulsive to the gay owner.he declines...then have the gov force him to.either submit, or pay the consequences.
Allot.of gays.have money now...i think.the above scenario will.certainly begin.to happen. Thus is why (one reason) i thinK having the gov force bussiness owners to do something contrary to their religion.amd morals is dangerous...
As it truly does.cut both ways...not at first....but its only a matter of time

I think it's least of their worries. There always will be trolls like that.

Hackers and ID theft is the forefront worries of all businesses owners. I can't imagine the net losses from that alone for a business.

the livlihood of the bussiness owner should be the first prioriy...not the least

if one can force someone against their religion, to do something
What stops those opposed.to gay rights doing.the same thing against you?

I want to know..

no one is forcing them to do something against their religion but it's illegal for business owners to discriminate customers based on their gender, disability, sexual orientation, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/31/politics/arkansas-religious-freedom-anti-lgbt-bill/index.html

very very clear that Indiana's new Religious Freedom Law is not the same as the federal religious freedom law as it is more expansive to make a tiny leeway for business owners to discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation. and now it's going back on table to most likely remove those extra provisions.

this the point I trying get in my head you got federal religious laws and Indiana's or which ever State religious laws what the difference,seems like recipe for disaster two laws for samething.
sorry don't mean highjack thread but fedral laws state laws puzzle to most people outside america

"INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indiana Gov. Mike Pence vigorously defended the state religious objections bill that he signed into law Thursday as businesses and organizations including the NCAA pressed concerns that it could open the door to legalizing discrimination against gay people" This was taken from the link in my first post. This is way this bill need to be reword . It should had been
DOA!

Ok, I keep asking for someone to point out where in the law it allows businesses the right to discriminate against gay people.

Without the law specifically and clearly giving this right, all you have is mass hysteria with empty rhetoric.

there was growing public support for education to encourage a standard set of cultural values and practices to be held in common by the majority of citizens. Education was viewed as the primary method in the acculturation process for minorities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_assimilation_of_Native_Americans

Is the Government attempting to assimilate the Christians with their cultural values and practices?

because .. you know .... they attempted to do this before ..

After the end of the Indian Wars, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the government outlawed the practice of traditional religious ceremonies. It established Native American boarding schools which children were required to attend. In these schools they were forced to speak English, study standard subjects, attend church, and leave tribal traditions behind.

Ok, I keep asking for someone to point out where in the law it allows businesses the right to discriminate against gay people.

Without the law specifically and clearly giving this right, all you have is mass hysteria with empty rhetoric.

I've already pointed it out for you.

I've already pointed it out for you.

Well, I read your responses, but I didn't see where you had quoted from Indiana's Religious Objection law where it explicitly and clearly gave the right to business owners to discriminate against homosexuals.

Am I missing something?

Well, I read your responses, but I didn't see where you had quoted from Indiana's Religious Objection law where it explicitly and clearly gave the right to business owners to discriminate against homosexuals.

Am I missing something?

yes. clearly missed the entire thing.

what do you think why it was being sent back to be reworked? what do you think why Arkansas Governor did not want to sign the law similar to Indiana's?

are you saying this Indiana's law is exactly same as federal law - that 19 other states did copy?

are you saying this Indiana's law is exactly same as federal law - that 19 other states did copy?

No, what I am saying is that I missed where you quoted Indiana's Religious Objection law. You made a claim that it allows businesses to discriminate against homosexuals. I cannot see anything in your responses where you quoted the actual law.

No, what I am saying is that I missed where you quoted Indiana's Religious Objection law. You made a claim that it allows businesses to discriminate against homosexuals. I cannot see anything in your responses where you quoted the actual law.

have you read its two extra provisions?

11078077_10152813152236167_8283189262783733411_n.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/o...ious-freedom-vs-individual-equality.html?_r=0
Indiana’s governor is now vowing to “clarify” a religious freedom law he recently signed in that state, because of what he calls a “perception problem” about whether the legislation would allow open discrimination against people whose sexual identities defy the heteronormative construct.

In truth, there is no perception problem. There was a detection problem: People detected precisely what the bill was designed to do, and they objected. And, possibly more important than individuals’ objections, were the objections of big business like Apple and Angie’s List.

Rather than simply protecting the free exercise of religion, the bill provides the possibility that religion could be used as a basis of discrimination against some customers.

One Indiana pizzeria, asserting that it is “a Christian establishment,” has already said that it will not cater gay weddings: “If a gay couple came in and wanted us to provide pizzas for their wedding, we would have to say no.” By the way, is wedding pizza a thing in Indiana? Just asking…

Objections to the law, which is repulsive and deserving of all manner of reprobation, were swift and vociferous.

It is true that there is a federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act, as well as a version of it in some 20 states. But Indiana’s is different.

As Garrett Epps put it in The Atlantic:

“First, the Indiana law explicitly allows any for-profit business to assert a right to ‘the free exercise of religion.’ The federal R.F.R.A. doesn’t contain such language, and neither does any of the state R.F.R.A.s except South Carolina’s; in fact, Louisiana and Pennsylvania, explicitly exclude for-profit businesses from the protection of their R.F.R.A.s.”

He continues:

“Second, the Indiana statute explicitly makes a business’s ‘free exercise’ right a defense against a private lawsuit by another person, rather than simply against actions brought by government.”

This was a whole other animal and people recognized it.

Anything that even hints at state-sponsored discrimination — blatant and codified — is not only discordant with current cultural norms but also anathema to universal ideals of fairness and human dignity.

Walmart has slammed a similar law passed this week in Arkansas — where the behemoth retailer is headquartered — with the C.E.O. saying of the law that it “threatens to undermine the spirit of inclusion present throughout the state of Arkansas and does not reflect the values we proudly uphold.”

And according to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:

“Similar objections to HB1228 came from the Little Rock Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Little Rock Conventions and Visitors Bureau. The Arkansas Municipal League and the Association of Arkansas Counties have also opposed the legislation.”

To his credit, Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas — whose son asked him to veto the bill — called on the Legislature to recall or amend the bill, and said he was considering using an executive order that would make “Arkansas a place of tolerance.”

For the most part, though, the religious conservative wing of the Republican Party on this issue is rushing headlong into an unwinnable culture battle, or more precisely one that has already been fought and lost.

As Emily Swanson, writing for The Associated Press, put it last month:

“In the late 1980s, support for gay marriage was essentially unheard-of in America. Just a quarter-century later, it’s now favored by [a] clear majority of Americans. That dramatic shift in opinion is among the fastest changes ever measured by the General Social Survey, a comprehensive and widely respected survey that has measured trends [in] a huge array of American attitudes for more than four decades.”

While it is heartening to see these corporations rushing to voice their opposition to the measure, there is still something about it that feels slightly out of kilter: a moral issue being driven by consumerism considerations.

It was in many ways a battle between big business corporate image egalitarianism and small business fundamentalism and religious conservatism, with disgruntled consumers in the middle. Big business had more to lose by appearing intolerant than small businesses had to gain by hewing to an exclusionary holiness.

But aside from whether opposing these pieces of legislation buys good will as an exercise of good public relations, equal treatment is simply the appropriate moral position, now and forever.

These laws raise broad issues.

What to do when people want to retain their right to hate and to discriminate — even if they choose to couch it in fuzzy, nonconfrontational wording or wrap it in the flimsy cloak of piety — after most of the country has lost the appetite for it?

How does America move forward as a beacon of tolerance — some would argue this precept vehemently — while retaining such disproportionate rates of religiosity relative to other wealthy countries?

Where are the lines between religious rights, business rights and human rights?

I would argue that when you enter the sphere of commerce in America — regardless of your “deeply held religious beliefs” — you have entered a nondiscriminatory zone in which your personal beliefs are checked at the register, and each customer is treated equally.

This is not to say that a gay couple on the eve of commitment should want to patronize a bigoted baker for a wedding cake, but rather that the refusal to render services based on that bigotry is untenable.

And yet, as the Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center put it last week in citing key findings from a 2015 working paper from Harvard Law School:

“While the First Amendment was intended to protect individual freedom of religion, speech and assembly, as well as a free press, corporations have begun to displace individuals as its direct beneficiaries. This ‘shift from individual to business First Amendment cases is recent but accelerating.’ ”

And last, it raises questions about where one person’s opinion should end and another’s personal liberty should take up.

Too many people in this country continue to have an unhealthy obsession with what other people do in their bedrooms rather than focusing on what they do — or don’t do — in their own.

Mind your own faith and your own business and allow other people to define their own relationships with a god, if he or she believes and chooses such a spiritual communion.

As Langston Hughes wrote in the poem “Personal”:

In an envelope marked:

Personal

God addressed me a letter.

In an envelope marked:

Personal

I have given my answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back