Driving

Reaction score
Well, I am happy enough to have my permit and already got VESID covering driving school.

Now, I am curious what should I expect on the very first day? I already know they said I have to bring my permit which I will bring with me.

Is it the 5 hours course or real practice with driving? My parents don't really have much to say other than it's very expensive. They're happy enough that I can actually drive.

I'm a bit nervous and my first day will be on Thursday. What's your advice? How can I calm myself down a bit? I do try to breathe, but that takes a long time to settle down.

It's been a while. My first day of driving school was just real driving and parking. I remember it being a bad experience somewhat, because the instructor would talk low enough for me not to hear, and I would make the wrong turns or whatever. Ha.

Good luck!

It's been a while. My first day of driving school was just real driving and parking. I remember it being a bad experience somewhat, because the instructor would talk low enough for me not to hear, and I would make the wrong turns or whatever. Ha.

Good luck!

Interesting, I guess you could have asked them to speak up loudly since you couldn't hear them. xD

I discussed with my driving instructor on communication issue and he used hand signals. all good!

What I have been though is pretty much outdated. They have changed a lot.

Me, very simple, study driver manual provided by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Gone in DMV test site, took test passed. Get permit drive around with my buddy. When Im ready, go down to DMV hand them permit, drive test around block. Passed, Bye!

This won't happen anymore, and yes my time was very easy. No class requirement, no requirement other than pass vision test and written exam to get permit as long as I was over 16 yrs old. That is in 1981.

I moved to NYS, all I did was pass eye test, then got drivers license from NYS, that was it.

I did not have a driving instructor, just my parents. When I took the test, I asked about the route from my friends so I knew what to expect. Even if I couldn't hear them, I knew their was a high probability that I was going to be turning left at this intersection and so forth. Doesn't really resolve communication issues with the instructor, but the approach worked out for me.

haha! Anyone who sits in the front seat of my car and intends to go somewhere that I don't know well, I show them do a run down of hand signals so I can get them there without making wrong turns. Some of my friends do it without thinking and and it has worked out well for me. The only problem is that it is hard to see hand signals in the dark.

I discussed with my driving instructor on communication issue and he used hand signals. all good!

Well, I am happy enough to have my permit and already got VESID covering driving school.

Now, I am curious what should I expect on the very first day? I already know they said I have to bring my permit which I will bring with me.

Is it the 5 hours course or real practice with driving? My parents don't really have much to say other than it's very expensive. They're happy enough that I can actually drive.

I'm a bit nervous and my first day will be on Thursday. What's your advice? How can I calm myself down a bit? I do try to breathe, but that takes a long time to settle down.

The best way to deal with your nerves is to take charge of the situation and make sure your instructor understands that you cannot hear but can see hand signals. That way, you won't have to stress about not hearing him while driving because that can really affect how you drive.

My instructor was such a cool guy. The first thing he said to me after learning about my deafness was "90% of driving is visual. You'll do great."

And I did! He really boosted my confidence and made me feel so relaxed that I passed with flying colours.

and just a few months ago, I learned that deaf people used to be charged less for car insurance because they have superior driving records compared to hearing people.

Well, my first time driving was difficult. I mean, sure, I didn't really believe it was going to be easy.

Although, I noticed that every time he says something, he's saying "You're not listening" and I'm trying hard. I'm not upset about it, but it hurts when he say that. I somehow do it naturally.

Of course, I understand I'm nervous, but that was my first time driving - which I'm sure many of you do get that experience - and I'm not sure what to do if my ears aren't picking up any faster.

My hearing aids are accommodation by audiologist, should I request something that will help me in driving so I be sure enough to hear it well enough or should I talk to my instructor and tell him what he can do better to help me? And hand signals aren't much to help.

talk to the instructor, if dude is still acting like a d-bag afterwards, go to his boss and request a different instructor or a refund, you will get a new instructor.

My mom sent my step brother and I to a driving school, my first instructor was a total "witch", she even left me a gas station when I went in to use the bathroom...she did this purposely..I got her suspended for a week *shouldve been fired*. She was all on my case about not listening to her and such, when I got a new instructor...everything was a breeze.

talk to the instructor, if dude is still acting like a d-bag afterwards, go to his boss and request a different instructor or a refund, you will get a new instructor.

My mom sent my step brother and I to a driving school, my first instructor was a total "witch", she even left me a gas station when I went in to use the bathroom...she did this purposely..I got her suspended for a week *shouldve been fired*. She was all on my case about not listening to her and such, when I got a new instructor...everything was a breeze.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't have a problem with the instructor. He was like that constantly, "You're not listening, you're not listening" and it hurts so badly. I can feel that aggressive vibe around him. Of course, my dad is going to talk to the guy next friday and hopefully, it'll be better this time. If not, my dad will ask my VESID to change driving school that won't act like this. Seriously, I'm putting all my best effort.

Secondly, what about your first day? Do you actually drive on the road for real or do they take you on a practice field to drive on? Mine didn't even explained how to use such things and I got a little confused from time to time.

Back in the 60's, deafies took driver's training in school. 4 of us girls with an instructor who was hearing, but fluent in ASL....We drove in the mountains....I remmy slamming on the brakes when a bird flew into the road and the instructor reallly chewed me out, saying "you can't hit a bird!"

Back in the 60's, deafies took driver's training in school. 4 of us girls with an instructor who was hearing, but fluent in ASL....We drove in the mountains....I remmy slamming on the brakes when a bird flew into the road and the instructor reallly chewed me out, saying "you can't hit a bird!"

lol! Sounds like a lesson that your instructor and you will never forget!

Okay! My second lessons actually turned out much better! He did not once say, "You're not listening" sort of the thing. Sure, I sensed a negative vibe from him a little, but it was easier to ignore this time.

However, is there anything I should know about driving? He's still insisting I have more lessons already from the first lessons.

Back