FCC to build an open source video platform for ASL users

Riley1870

Reaction score
http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/20/fcc-to-build-an-open-source-video-platform-for-asl-users/

The FCC is developing a video access platform that will allow American Sign Language (ASL) users to communicate with businesses and government agencies more easily, Chairman Tom Wheeler announced on Thursday. With it, users will be able to make video calls as well as send text and audio to the person on the other end of the line. What's more, the platform will not only enable the creation of function-specific desktop and mobile apps that, say, allow users to connect with FCC reps through a relay service staffed by people fluent in ASL. It will also serve as an interoperability standard for existing IP-based video conferencing apps like Skype or Google Hangouts. And, since the code is open source, any developer will be able to integrate this functionality into their app.

"It is time for people who speak with their hands and hear with their eyes to enjoy modern advancements in communications technologies," Wheeler stated during the announcement. "It's time for you to be able to have your video products work together, so you can call whomever you wish, whenever you wish, from anywhere." The FCC plans to have a beta version ready by the end of this year and release the final version by next spring.

Sounds cool for ASL users. I just wish the doctors office, businesses and government would text.

Sounds cool for ASL users. I just wish the doctors office, businesses and government would text.
Or at least find a way to either do email to text or calling via voice to text. Though with my plan I do have voice to text voice mail- does help.

I always check business or office website for email address but often they never email back. They must never get anyone emailing.

NexTalk ACCESS was designed for exactly that purpose. We have a business version, which is what we promote to Dentists, insurance agents, doctors, day cares, etc. so that they have the ability to do text calls with the deaf community, as well as VRI when a deaf customer comes to the store/office. The ACCESS communication platform will be compatible with the system that VATRP and the FCC are building. If you haven't looked at ACCESS, check it out, it gives you 9 different communication options in a single program.

I always check business or office website for email address but often they never email back. They must never get anyone emailing.
Yeah I've run into that too, not to mention the fact on some sites I can't find an email address anywhere.

I recently tried to contact a medical provider (recently had a procedure done) and looked everywhere on their site for an email address... couldn't find one so I kind of did a roundabout way and sent a 'testimonial email'- stated at the top that it was not a testimonial but.... and explained why I needed help lol. They actually replied very kindly :). This provider was/is aware that I am deaf also (and provided an interpreter during my first visit- for the procedure no terps (I wouldn't have wanted one in there anyway) but took my boogie board.

NexTalk ACCESS was designed for exactly that purpose. We have a business version, which is what we promote to Dentists, insurance agents, doctors, day cares, etc. so that they have the ability to do text calls with the deaf community, as well as VRI when a deaf customer comes to the store/office. The ACCESS communication platform will be compatible with the system that VATRP and the FCC are building. If you haven't looked at ACCESS, check it out, it gives you 9 different communication options in a single program.

2 years and 75 posts all about nextalk. You are a dedicated man. :lol: I just want them to check their email. :D I will check out your website though. Maybe you can answer me a question though. Most of the stuff I read about deaf phone services says they are only for the deaf, hoh and people who have trouble with speech. I am non of these. I have apd. Could I get in trouble for using this?

2 years and 75 posts all about nextalk. You are a dedicated man. :lol: I just want them to check their email. :D I will check out your website though. Maybe you can answer me a question though. Most of the stuff I read about deaf phone services says they are only for the deaf, HoH and people who have trouble with speech. I am non of these. I have apd. Could I get in trouble for using this?

Johhny, Most of the Deaf/HoH-centric communication services, such as Video Relay Services, Text Relay Services, IP Relay Service and to a lesser extent, TTY are FCC supported programs. The interpreters and operators who assist with those calls are paid by the FCC, so the FCC has always tried to make sure that those services, which they are funding, are only being used by the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. This is both good and bad. Good that the FCC is funding a program that helps the Deaf and Hard of Hearing communicate...but also bad, because they get to control who uses it. For example, IP Relay is almost gone. Many of the companies that use to provide IP Relay stop doing so, not because they lack the ability or the technology, but because the amount the FCC was paying them to do so had dropped so much that they no longer felt it was profitable enough for them. So...the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community lost a communication option because of money. As long as the FCC controls the funding, they can control your ability to communicate.

NexTalk is not an FCC funded company. As you noticed, I have been on Alldeaf talking about our ACCESS system a lot. I always worry that the Deaf community is getting tired of my postings and views them as blatant self promotion. But I continue to do so because I want the Deaf community to understand that the ACCESS system is an agnostic communication platform design specifically for them...and those with whom they want to communicate. We do not rely on FCC funding. The $6.95 a month that subscribers pay is what ensures that they will have a reliable, effective and open communication tool. As a subscriber supported communication tool, the Deaf community is not at the whim of the FCC. Please don't misinterpret this as me or NexTalk being anti-FCC. They provide great service to the deaf and hard of hearing.

So...forgive the long answer.....yes, you can use ACCESS. Because we don't rely on the FCC for funding, we determine who can use our software and platform. We designed ACCESS as a dedicated communication platform for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, (it's features are applicable to everyone), but it is also for business, education, and anyone else who wants a tool for effectively communicating with their Deaf and Hard of Hearing customers.

And one last thing, the ACCESS program includes a personal and universal phone book. The personal phone books is yours to configure and control. Add family, friends, co-workers, church members, your insurance agent, your dentist, your day care center,etc. The Universal phone book is controlled by NexTalk and is intended to be for national and local businesses who also use a NexTalk software program like ACCESS or SimpliciTTY. This means that you can go to your phone book in ACCESS and you will find businesses that are using communication software with which to communicate with you. No more searching web sites hoping to find a number or link with which to communicate.

Again, sorry for the long reply. I hope I have answered your question.

I have one tiny issue with this software.

It government funded and controlled, I am not sure about having a government-controlled software on my computer or phone.

I have one tiny issue with this software.

It government funded and controlled, I am not sure about having a government-controlled software on my computer or phone.

LOL, it's up to you. If you don't trust it, then don't download it like what Microsoft always says.

Back