Why do you want to be a interpreter?

spainmale

Reaction score
i want to ask you why you want to be a interpreter for deaf people.

I always find it strange when someone asks a question without telling us why they are asking. You are asking me why I am an interpreter, but you are not telling me why you are asking. Perhaps if you could clarify, I could write an answer that better suits your needs.

I always find it strange when someone asks a question without telling us why they are asking. You are asking me why I am an interpreter, but you are not telling me why you are asking. Perhaps if you could clarify, I could write an answer that better suits your needs.

Yes, i know that but one of my hearing friends want to learn about becoming interpreter.Someday my friend want a professor of interpreter.
For example deaf people need interpreter for college classes, court , doctor appointment etc etc. etc.. Deaf people are looking for any kinds of sign language includes ASL, PSE, and SEE.

I want to ask some question to anyone know about interp.

1.how do you get in interpreter job?
2.Is it easy or hard when you become interp?
3.How long ve you learned sign language?

1.Im not a professional interpreter per say, i freelance. all you staff terps are foaming at the mouth now eh? lol
2. its hard, some things just dont interpret.
3. my length of signing is not indicative of my skill, but 2.5 years.

as for the initial question, why? i dont like terping really, i like signing. i do it cause its extra income. i like when im done with a client and did a good job, thats a good feeling.

1.Im not a professional interpreter per say, i freelance. all you staff terps are foaming at the mouth now eh? lol
2. its hard, some things just dont interpret.
3. my length of signing is not indicative of my skill, but 2.5 years.

as for the initial question, why? i dont like terping really, i like signing. i do it cause its extra income. i like when im done with a client and did a good job, thats a good feeling.

I wouldn't say I'm foaming at the mouth, but I'm a little surprised by your answers. Are you saying that you are not a professional, you have only been signing for 2.5 yrs, you have no interpreting training, and you are getting paid to interpret anyway? :|

well, when you put it like that.....

as i said before, years signing is not indicative of skill level.

well, when you put it like that.....

as i said before, years signing is not indicative of skill level.

No, but signing skill is not indicative of interpreting skill.

Whom do you look to for ethical guidelines? Have you educated yourself at all about standards and practices for interpreters?

I was like :confused: after read this thread here... I don't see anything wrong if a creator is interesting to ask you why you want to be Interpreter... It's nature curious question... :dunno:

I often ask many interpreters why they like to become Interpreter... They are HAPPY to answer my questions because my question shows how much I'm interesting about them... I'm total surprise to find "annoy" answers here... *total speechless*:eek3:

Is those question, a creator ask is rude or what?

I was like :confused: after read this thread here... I don't see anything wrong if a creator is interesting to ask you why you want to be Interpreter... It's nature curious question... :dunno:

I often ask many interpreters why they like to become Interpreter... They are HAPPY to answer my questions because my question shows how much I'm interesting about them... I'm total surprise to find "annoy" answers here... *total speechless*:eek3:

Is those question, a creator ask is rude or what?
I didn't say I was annoyed, I didn't say they were rude! I just didn't understand why they were asking. It's hard to understand exactly what a person means when it is on the Internet. I was just asking for a little context, just more information about why they were asking. So please don't think I was annoyed just because I wanted more information, okay? :o

I didn't say I was annoyed, I didn't say they were rude!

I didn't say that you say that you was annoy or they are rude. ?

I only said that your answer sound annoy because you don't understand creator's question. It's question about rude, I'm asking, not you. I only wonder either creator's question is rude or not? It's my question.

I just didn't understand why they were asking. It's hard to understand exactly what a person means when it is on the Internet. I was just asking for a little context, just more information about why they were asking.

I think creator's question is not hard to understand. IMO. The interpreters often answer when I asked them questions why they are interesting to become interpreters... I collect their interesting answer... Their answer is their parents are deaf etc... Their children are deaf, etc. They met deaf and find interesting to learn sign language and like to become interpreter, etc... saw on TV document about deafies and make them motivation, etc. Those examples, I collect from them like this. If I'm an interpreter then I would be happy to answer creator's question why I want to be interpreter...

So please don't think I was annoyed just because I wanted more information, okay? :o

Please accept my apology if I thought wrong about you. I doesn't mean to upset you with my previous post, that's just I open what I think and feel after read those posts here.

very true, I had plenty hearing friends, they are an Interpreter. I am work with them for German sign language Interpreter to tuition. many times I am seeing to other deafs, She asked almost Interpreter
"Why do you like an Interpreter?, how do you know about it?... where get the Information for Interpreter?
Interpreter did answer them, most of deaf parents and deaf friends... sometimes interested signing.........

I guess I am just strange then. For me the question is very personal, not something I am used to answering. I tell people HOW I became an interpreter all the time, but people don't usually ask about WHY!

I guess I am just strange then. For me the question is very personal, not something I am used to answering. I tell people HOW I became an interpreter all the time, but people don't usually ask about WHY!

Okay, I understood. :)

Accord creator's 3 simple questions:

spainmale's post

That's why I said it's not hard to answer this 3 questions. I understand with no problem if you don't want to answer to this 3 questions.

Have you educated yourself at all about standards and practices for interpreters?

i don't understand why you guys feel threatened by my comments.....im sorry if you spent alot of money on your education and feel you deserve more.

i didn't just fall off the turnip truck and wake up one day decide i wanna terp and go out there, and i resent the fact you guys somehow think i did. Because i don't have a degree you all assume im not qualified....little quick to judge.

You must live in a state where paid interpreters do not have to be certified. Here in Utah it is against the law for anyone to be a paid interpreter unless they are certified, which may account for why we have a critical shortage of them. If anyone wants a job....

I tell people HOW I became an interpreter all the time, but people don't usually ask about WHY!

Really? Deaf people ask me all the time why I wanted to become an interpreter. It's usually people I don't know that well, like a client I'm meeting for the first time. I assume it's because of interpreters who take advantage of their position to try and evangelize or convert their clients, or whatever. I don't mind answering it, I just don't care to post my whole story here on AD. :)

i didn't just fall off the turnip truck and wake up one day decide i wanna terp and go out there, and i resent the fact you guys somehow think i did. Because i don't have a degree you all assume im not qualified....little quick to judge.

Whoa, you got defensive pretty quick there. All I did was ask about your model for ethical standards and practices. How can I be judging you when you won't even answer? If I knew enough to judge you -- assuming I care enough to judge you, which I don't -- I wouldn't need to ask questions. When did I say you weren't qualified? Where did "degree" come into it? I know plenty of excellent terps who don't have a degree (although in this state at least they're going to have to get one soon).

However, your immediate defensive and impolite response speaks for itself on a couple of levels.

i don't understand why you guys feel threatened by my comments.....im sorry if you spent alot of money on your education and feel you deserve more.

Those who questioned you don't seem "threatened" to me. You, however, seem very defensive about answering their questions.

It's not just the fact that you don't have a degree that raises questions; it's some of the statements that you make about interpreting situations that don't sound very professional or in line with current interpreting guidelines.

Why would I become an interpreter? Because I can. If you can speak both languages very fluently why not become one (if you don't already have a good job).

I started out interpreting just for my church. I attended every sign language class I could find in my area, joined every Deaf and interpreter organization, read every Deaf culture and interpreting book I could get, I realized that I needed to take up a structured professional interpreting course of study. So I enrolled in a two-year ITP. (I already had a four-year degree in another field, so I only had to concentrate on the ITP courses to get my AA.)

After I graduated from the ITP, I was offered a long-term substitute interpreting position at a public school. At first, I resisted. I didn't think I would be interested in educational interpreting. But I found that I enjoyed it! After I finished that assignment, I was offered a substitute interpreting job at a college. After I finished that assignment, the interpreting agency took me on for regular assignments in the community and at the college. Now I do a variety of assignments, including medical appointments, government services, job placement and training, social services, real estate, business and sales meetings. I still do sub work for all public school grades. My most regularly scheduled and enjoyable assignments are at the college.

I still interpret (non-pay status) at my church for Sunday School, Wednesday and Sunday services, weddings, special meetings, etc.

Too many variables to give you a one-size-fits-all answer. Each person's natural language attributes is different from another's. But if a person works very hard, is open to constructive criticism, is willing to make the effort to genuinely associate with the Deaf community, then even some lack of "natural" skills can be overcome.

It's also important for a potential interpreter to realize that there is much more involved in becoming a skilled terp than just fluent signing. A good terp needs also to have a well-rounded education, keep up with current events, exhibit professional integrity and good work ethic, and sometimes even have physical stamina. Terps must also have excellent verbal English skills and an extensive English vocabulary.

Since I didn't start out with a formal ITP, it took me a little longer. I was a "signer" for a couple of years before I started the ITP.

Honestly, I'm still learning. :) Any terps who say they know "everything" about sign language are either kidding themselves or lying.

I just attended a state-wide terp conference last weekend. I "networked" with many colleagues there. Some are multi-certified, "mature" CODAs, and yet they were the first to admit they learned many new things at this conference, and at every workshop they attend. Learning is a life-long process. :)

I started out interpreting just for my church. I attended every sign language class I could find in my area, joined every Deaf and interpreter organization, read every Deaf culture and interpreting book I could get, I realized that I needed to take up a structured professional interpreting course of study. So I enrolled in a two-year ITP. (I already had a four-year degree in another field, so I only had to concentrate on the ITP courses to get my AA.)

After I graduated from the ITP, I was offered a long-term substitute interpreting position at a public school. At first, I resisted. I didn't think I would be interested in educational interpreting. But I found that I enjoyed it! After I finished that assignment, I was offered a substitute interpreting job at a college. After I finished that assignment, the interpreting agency took me on for regular assignments in the community and at the college. Now I do a variety of assignments, including medical appointments, government services, job placement and training, social services, real estate, business and sales meetings. I still do sub work for all public school grades. My most regularly scheduled and enjoyable assignments are at the college.

I still interpret (non-pay status) at my church for Sunday School, Wednesday and Sunday services, weddings, special meetings, etc.

Too many variables to give you a one-size-fits-all answer. Each person's natural language attributes is different from another's. But if a person works very hard, is open to constructive criticism, is willing to make the effort to genuinely associate with the Deaf community, then even some lack of "natural" skills can be overcome.

It's also important for a potential interpreter to realize that there is much more involved in becoming a skilled terp than just fluent signing. A good terp needs also to have a well-rounded education, keep up with current events, exhibit professional integrity and good work ethic, and sometimes even have physical stamina. Terps must also have excellent verbal English skills and an extensive English vocabulary.

Since I didn't start out with a formal ITP, it took me a little longer. I was a "signer" for a couple of years before I started the ITP.

Honestly, I'm still learning. :) Any terps who say they know "everything" about sign language are either kidding themselves or lying.

I just attended a state-wide terp conference last weekend. I "networked" with many colleagues there. Some are multi-certified, "mature" CODAs, and yet they were the first to admit they learned many new things at this conference, and at every workshop they attend. Learning is a life-long process. :)
Reba
Thank you for answering. I appreicated your help..

Back