Why call babies "it"?

KarissaMann05

Premium Member
Reaction score
I notice many people call human baby "it", presumably, it is meant for "neutral" gender if they don't know which baby is a boy or girl.

But, I was taught so different that I was told to not call a baby "it". Just use "he", "his", or "him" if I don't know which gender is. Now, I am not sure what I am suppose to call any baby "it" or "he" for the neutral gender... Thoughts, anybody?

Last edited:
No mean call baby them instead it. Their room, they kick, present for them.

No mean call baby them instead it. Their room, they kick, present for them.

I refer to the singular pronoun for "it". If you re-read, you'll see I am talking about one single person. But, you're right about babies should be called "them". Sorry, I tried to think of how I would say.

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I call babies "them" sometimes, as it's the only gender-neutral non-"it" word that sounds right. I know it's plural and all, but I typically use it to avoid calling the baby an "it". Sometimes I use "him", or "her", but I don't like doing that unless I know the gender of the baby. I'm peculiar like that.

"It" and "Them" were monster movies, were they not? :P

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I call babies "them" sometimes, as it's the only gender-neutral non-"it" word that sounds right. I know it's plural and all, but I typically use it to avoid calling the baby an "it". Sometimes I use "him", or "her", but I don't like doing that unless I know the gender of the baby. I'm peculiar like that.

Yes, same with me. I was taught to just call a baby "he" if I don't know his gender. I don't recall people call a baby "it", but I suppose that you're probably right about personal preference. I thought it kinda of weird to say "it". I dunno.

I heard somewhere that new gender-neutral pronouns have been invented for people who don't identify as either gender. Could use those... if I knew what they were and so did the person I was speaking to!

Wirelessly posted

'Zie' or 'hir' are a few examples of genderless pronouns that I have seen being used. I definitely would not use a male pronoun if I wasn't sure of a babies gender. I think saying 'the baby' is best.

Like Bottesini I always say "the baby". Is the baby growing well? Have you started putting together the baby's room? Do you have names picked out for the baby yet? <and when I get to feel the Mom's pregnant stomach> Hello there little baby :).

I am with Bott's. The baby's. I am comfortable using the words: the baby/babies, the toddler/s, the child or the children so that is easier to clarify those who they are.

good thread.

Back