Linux or Window Server/Host

Which one you prefer, Linux or Window Server/Host?

• Total voters
Much easier? your must be kidding!

If it is really much easier, then why require 14 exams to become fully MCSE certified?

Whats more, Ubuntu and Kubuntu is now using more GUI, less command lines. Have you checked them, with version 9.04? of course 8.x and earlier is different when it comes to installing and delete software/applications.

Yes, I have Ubuntu and I actually like it a lot.

As for requiring 14 exams to become ceritfied, if you want to be certified, you have to PROVE your competency, through experience or education or both. MS sets standards on HOW well educated a person must be when it comes to dealing with Windows.

Remember, those certifications may not mean much if companies are NOT asking for them but a lot of companies do ask for them and pay more for MSCE engineers.

I have plan set up Linux based server soon. I also have Linux based computer, it works like charm, meets my needs.

Of course I still use Windows for website that requires M$ or need application that requires M$

Now end up you bought the NAS. Wrong move. :roll:

Windows Server 2008.

It's more secure, and the best thing? I didn't even have to pay a single penny for it.

Gotta love MSDNAA.

Where's Mac? I belive about there's Mac server.

Windows is pathetic in the server market. I like Linux, never used mac server but would like to. I have mac os x leopard but not xserve.

I own a web-hosting company.

Right now, the server we own are Linux-based ones, but we will be expanding to include Windows-based servers.

My preference though? Linux and cPanel/WHM, as well as WHMCS.

Excellent software solution after you've set up the server box either at a Datacenter like ThePlanet or some other COLO facility.

As for Windows being pathetic, not quite. There's a use for them, though I would prefer not to use Windows servers... but alas, I'll be expanding our product lines to include Windows... (Probably VPS solutions, rather than actual Windows Server 2003/2008 dedicated boxes.)

Then again... so many options, distros... but primarily? CentOS and Ubuntu Server Edition.

I looked up some hosting websites, and they have same looking format in the cPanel. I was really surprised about that because I thought that many host owners rather to have their own cPanel design. So far, I know that most of host owners are paying a WebMail service.

I think that it is a very bad idea. I think that the owners should create their own work so that they deserve to make their own money instead of paying a big company like webmail, cPanel, well-known forums, etc.

You just visit some host websites and their demo of the cPanel and maybe webmail.

I discovered that many host services are not telling the truth that they have installed a windpower and a green energy for their host business because they really don't want to spend more money on these stuff. Most servers do not have an Energy-Star. Without an Energy-Star for one basic server would cost approx. $1,500, and with Energy-Star with one server would cost $3,000. That is the problem.

I looked up some hosting websites, and they have same looking format in the cPanel. I was really surprised about that because I thought that many host owners rather to have their own cPanel design. So far, I know that most of host owners are paying a WebMail service.

Actually, you can make your own cPanel skins, and if you've got either Reseller or Root access to the cPanel/WHM installation, you could apply the visual template so that cPanel looks more customized to your service.

I think that it is a very bad idea. I think that the owners should create their own work so that they deserve to make their own money instead of paying a big company like webmail, cPanel, well-known forums, etc.

You just visit some host websites and their demo of the cPanel and maybe webmail.

I discovered that many host services are not telling the truth that they have installed a windpower and a green energy for their host business because they really don't want to spend more money on these stuff. Most servers do not have an Energy-Star. Without an Energy-Star for one basic server would cost approx. $1,500, and with Energy-Star with one server would cost $3,000. That is the problem.

Well... my systems use cPanel/WHM due to the fact that it is a standardized system and one that is commonly requested. I can use other setups, but they just do not provide the same functionality that cPanel/WHM does.

I do not use webmail. I offer it, but I don't use it.

How ironic you should mention that. All of our servers we use are in ThePlanet's Datacenters, and if I remember correctly, the servers we use are all Wind and Solar-Powered, and we use RECs to offset the ones that aren't powered by wind and/or solar.

We're completely green, in regards to our servers being in ThePlanet's Datacenters in Dallas and Houston.

As for Windows being pathetic, not quite. There's a use for them, though I would prefer not to use Windows servers... but alas, I'll be expanding our product lines to include Windows... (Probably VPS solutions, rather than actual Windows Server 2003/2008 dedicated boxes.)

Not much use for them unless you're using Microsoft Software like Exchange or ASP, etc. I said they're pathetic in the server market because Linux and BSD dominates it.

Most websites are simply LAMP, Linux, Apache, Mysql and PHP.

Not much use for them unless you're using Microsoft Software like Exchange or ASP, etc. I said they're pathetic in the server market because Linux and BSD dominates it.

Most websites are simply LAMP, Linux, Apache, Mysql and PHP.

Precisely. Or MSSQL.

Then there's Cold Fusion and a few other things that are essentially Windows only.

I'd use XAMPP over IIS any day.

I prefer Linux (Ubuntu). It's more safe than windows. I use Mac OS too. Never I see Linux and Mac OS to crash.

Really ??? :giggle:

Where did you know that ???

bing.com (formerly live.com) uses linux.

4dfn6.png

you can see it for yourself at http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=http://www.bing.com

at least microsoft.com uses server 2008 and msn.com uses server 2003.. :dunno:

Last edited:
bing.com (formerly live.com) uses linux.

4dfn6.png

you can see it for yourself at Netcraft What's That Site Running Results

at least microsoft.com uses server 2008 and msn.com uses server 2003.. :dunno:

not surprising. bing.com (or live.com) is not made by Microsoft. It's acquired by Microsoft. It's very expensive and difficult to change bing.com's original design.

Back