Talents where being Deaf or H/H is an asset!

Cricket's

Reaction score
Like when I first started playing pool (billiards), I wore earplugs so my opponent could not make me nervous or distract me!!! Let me know some of the things you do in life where you have the upper hand!!!

My brother tried to annoy me by muting the TV when I was little, only problem was I could speechread well enough I could still make out what the people were saying. He would mute and I would shrug. He forgot I could speechread most of the time and it ended up driving him nuts more than me.

If you annoy me I can close my eyes and you are gone.

both replies are a feat that a mere hearing person would not be likely to accomplish!!!:giggle:

I could get on the plane before majority of other fliers all because I couldn't hear the announcer or the PA. :D

I use my "talent" in games where it requires eye and hand coordination.

Main reason I have lost only 1 game in the past 4-5 months of Foosball. About 200 games too.

My toughest competitors??? Another deaf person/team, regardless of skill level. :)

Another good one: From what I am aware of, and been around... Deaf people are awesome marksmen.

Can't speak as much for Jiro. I haven't seen him shoot.

I can hear and I am certain that it would be helpful to be deaf in the game of pool. If you cannot hear the distractions around you you can stay in your head and into the game...Half the battle is focus! Things that help contribute to a "miss" are loud annoying music...like K-rap, or someone saying something along the line of expecting you to make the shot...OR someone saying something along the line of expecting you to MISS the shot!!!
I learned to focus and ignore them by simulating deafness and using earplugs!!

I bet some of you are fearce opponents in pool!!!

Another good one: From what I am aware of, and been around... Deaf people are awesome marksmen.

Can't speak as much for Jiro. I haven't seen him shoot.

Hey PFH missed ya...all the answers are so true and i have used a few, i shoot pool and get on planes before others....and I also target shoot but with
Bow (stanfard not a crossbow)..I noticed I am so much better since losing my hearing...I was always good at pool..laughing..Midnight♥♥♥:wave:

You should get on an APA pool leauge, you could win a trophy and some money!!!

There's no pool league around here. However there's a fairly good sized Bowling League in Russvegas.

I didn't know that about being allowed to board planes earlier! Is that only for the truly deaf, or for HoH also? I use hearing aids but the PA just sounds like a jumble to me; I can't actually understand it. Is that enough to request preferential treatment when boarding?

I didn't know that about being allowed to board planes earlier! Is that only for the truly deaf, or for HoH also? I use hearing aids but the PA just sounds like a jumble to me; I can't actually understand it. Is that enough to request preferential treatment when boarding?

Anyone who can pass off as deaf/HoH really. I've even seen completely hearing people copy me just to get on the plane first. :shock:

All you have to do is let the person who takes the tickets know that you're deaf. Sometimes deaf people just point at their ears and shrug. They'll let you go on with no problem. There have been cases of them setting the deaf person aside and hanging onto their ticket until their zone is called. That incident is a bit embarrassing, but VERY rare.

Well, that latter HAS happened to me. I thought my zone was called and went up to the line, and the ticket-checker RUDELY told me to wait for my zone. I just hung my head and said "OK, sorry for the mistake" and waited.

Next time I'll react differently. Or just get right up front from the beginning and say I can't hear the announcements.

for planes.. i prefer to board LAST and get off FIRST :) What I do: get seats in the very front.

Not a deaf thing.

1. I can sleep and no sound could wake me up easily.
2. Sometimes not being able to hear is a good thing, enspecially when its your boss chewing you out.
3. I can't tell you how reading lips have saved me from my jobs a few times.

Back