Seeking advice

I'm so glad you and your aunt are in contact again :) I'm sure she's really pleased to have heard from you!
The crackling noises you spoke of might be tinnitus? They might not mean you're going to lose your hearing in your other ear

I'm so glad you and your aunt are in contact again :) I'm sure she's really pleased to have heard from you!
The crackling noises you spoke of might be tinnitus? They might not mean you're going to lose your hearing in your other ear

Thanks, Krissy! I didn't know the crackling could be tinnitus. I do have tinnitus in both ears. Mostly I hear a tone and its like someone hit a switch because I can't hear much besides the tone until it stops. It usually only lasts a few seconds at a time but some days will happen over and over again. I also get the roaring/whooshing when I move my head.around. In the grand scheme it doesn't bother me much. My mom has tinnitus (no hearing loss) and hers drives her crazy. For her, the ringing goes on for days at a time, but she can still hear while it happens.

Thanks, Krissy! I didn't know the crackling could be tinnitus. I do have tinnitus in both ears. Mostly I hear a tone and its like someone hit a switch because I can't hear much besides the tone until it stops. It usually only lasts a few seconds at a time but some days will happen over and over again. I also get the roaring/whooshing when I move my head.around. In the grand scheme it doesn't bother me much. My mom has tinnitus (no hearing loss) and hers drives her crazy. For her, the ringing goes on for days at a time, but she can still hear while it happens.
You're welcome :)
And well, tinnitus can be loads of different noises, I have it 24/7 and I generally have more than one noise at the same time
Have you spoke to ENT about the crackling noise? They might be able to help you futher

Hello, I am looking for some advice. I have a deaf aunt (my father's sister) and she lives across the country so I did not have many opportunities to see her while I was growing up. Then, her relationship with my parents became estranged when my grandfather died years and years ago, so it has been a long time.

When she would visit us, I always thought she was such an amazing person, so fun to be around. She sketched phenomenal drawings at lightening speed! She was not born deaf, but became so when she was very young. She did go to an all-deaf school, but never embraced sign language and relied on reading lips and writing notes instead. I am not sure why.

I am 32 now and am starting to lose hearing in my left ear due to otosclerosis. I feel like my right ear will shortly follow because I can hear crackling noises, etc just like on the left side. I am scared of the possibility of becoming deaf late in life, after relying entirely on verbal language. I want to try to find my aunt to ask her for advice, but I feel like that would be selfish since I haven't been in touch since her falling out with my parents. What do you think? Would she be offended if I contacted her? I don't even know if i could locate her, I heard that she has moved to a new state.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If your aunt accept you, I am sure she will not offend by you. I think she will so happy to hear from you!

Guess what?! My aunt received my letter and sent me a nice reply. I'm so happy!! Thank you all for encouraging me to reach out to her. Thank you! Special thanks to Naisho!

:thumb: for a great ending/beginning! :)

This is a great story! :) Kelly, I'm happy for you and your aunt!

Way to go Naisho! When are you opening up your detective agency? ;)

I've just joined today and am looking around the site. Oh, I do hope you did contact your amazing Aunt. I'm sure you will both have benefitted from it.

Lottie.

Krissy, I don't remember if I mentioned the crackling specifically to the ENT. I was kind of in shock I think because I wasn't phased by the news and didn't ask too many questions during the "diagnosis appointment." I'm not sure the crackling matters one way or another, though. I was basically told that there was nothing I could do anyway. My right ear feels similar but better than my left ear in general, but my hearing on the right side is not bad. It happens on both sides 85% of the time. So, we'll see...

I've just joined today and am looking around the site. Oh, I do hope you did contact your amazing Aunt. I'm sure you will both have benefitted from it.

Lottie.

Thanks, Lottie! I am new to this site also, it has really helped me already.

MissBass, thanks! My aunt did seem happy to hear from me, which was a big relief! She sent me an update on where she has been living and other details. She and her husband have been through some tough times, but they are doing great now. :)

This is a great story! :) Kelly, I'm happy for you and your aunt!

Way to go Naisho! When are you opening up your detective agency? ;)

Thanks, Jazzberry! I would certainly hire Detective Naisho again! Highly recommended! :lol:

Krissy, I don't remember if I mentioned the crackling specifically to the ENT. I was kind of in shock I think because I wasn't phased by the news and didn't ask too many questions during the "diagnosis appointment." I'm not sure the crackling matters one way or another, though. I was basically told that there was nothing I could do anyway. My right ear feels similar but better than my left ear in general, but my hearing on the right side is not bad. It happens on both sides 85% of the time. So, we'll see...
Ahh, I understand, truthfully when you get news you're not expecting / don't want to hear you tend to forget everything that was in your head.
Have you ever tried tinnitus relaxers? If any of them work for you, then you might be able to tell if the crackling is tinnitus or not.
I'd mention it again when you go to ENT just for another opinion because, I'm no expert lol, so it might be worth mentioning to them again

Ahh, I understand, truthfully when you get news you're not expecting / don't want to hear you tend to forget everything that was in your head.
Have you ever tried tinnitus relaxers? If any of them work for you, then you might be able to tell if the crackling is tinnitus or not.
I'd mention it again when you go to ENT just for another opinion because, I'm no expert lol, so it might be worth mentioning to them again

What are tinnitus relaxers? :hmm:

What are tinnitus relaxers? :hmm:
Well you can buy audio CD's or listen to certain sounds and sometimes it can help reduce tinnitus. Medication is also offered through the GP, but truthfully I wouldn't advise you take them. I had them given to me once, and they're tablets to push blood through your ears so the increased blood flow could help relax your tinnitus, but I got such a severe migraine and my ears were burning, not nice.
You can download noises online like white noise to see if that helps reduce your tinnitus

Well you can buy audio CD's or listen to certain sounds and sometimes it can help reduce tinnitus. Medication is also offered through the GP, but truthfully I wouldn't advise you take them. I had them given to me once, and they're tablets to push blood through your ears so the increased blood flow could help relax your tinnitus, but I got such a severe migraine and my ears were burning, not nice.
You can download noises online like white noise to see if that helps reduce your tinnitus

Interesting. I certainly would not take the medication as my tinnitus isn't bad. I might try out the CDs, my mom said they did not make much of a difference for her.

The crackling sounds more physical rather than a tone or whooshing noise. It's like the difference between your ears popping in a plane and a ringing sound. I don't know if that makes any sense. Either way, it really isn't too bothersome. The trouble hearing and balancing are much more difficult.

Interesting. I certainly would not take the medication as my tinnitus isn't bad. I might try out the CDs, my mom said they did not make much of a difference for her.

The crackling sounds more physical rather than a tone or whooshing noise. It's like the difference between your ears popping in a plane and a ringing sound. I don't know if that makes any sense. Either way, it really isn't too bothersome. The trouble hearing and balancing are much more difficult.

Oddly enough, I think I understand what you mean lol
Every night when I'm going to sleep I get a weird sound every now and again, very loud in my ear which makes me jump..but it's not just like a sound, it feels asif my body moves or something and makes the sound appear like it's from a distances and then all of a sudden it's in my ear. It's really hard to explain lol
But it's asif I can feel it
Honestly, the explanation was better in my head :P
And I find some noises can help sometimes, but not much, and a lot of noises my tinnitus "mimics" so if I put it on a sound that irritates my ears it'll make my tinnitus worse or because I can't hear high pitched noises if I have a high pitched tone it makes my tinnitus worse too. Just experiment with different sounds and see if any work for you, it's worth a shot.

Oddly enough, I think I understand what you mean lol
Every night when I'm going to sleep I get a weird sound every now and again, very loud in my ear which makes me jump..but it's not just like a sound, it feels asif my body moves or something and makes the sound appear like it's from a distances and then all of a sudden it's in my ear. It's really hard to explain lol
But it's asif I can feel it
Honestly, the explanation was better in my head :P
And I find some noises can help sometimes, but not much, and a lot of noises my tinnitus "mimics" so if I put it on a sound that irritates my ears it'll make my tinnitus worse or because I can't hear high pitched noises if I have a high pitched tone it makes my tinnitus worse too. Just experiment with different sounds and see if any work for you, it's worth a shot.
Is it like a "ZAP" noise/feeling like a painless electrical short or current? I get that sometimes when I am lying in bed at night in the quiet. It jolts my whole body for a split second. Usually it feels like it comes from the ceiling... very weird. (I do not have MS and it doesn't happen except when I am lying in bed.)

My tinnitus doesn't seem to be related to other, "real" noises, I can't figure out any pattern.

Back