Recent Movie About Dating A Deaf Woman

gah87

Reaction score
Just last night I watched a movie about a deaf young woman running in to a hearing young man and falling in love. Although I can't remember the title of the movie for the life of me it was about the struggles they went through due to her over controlling mother.. Ultimately a sad movie :(.. Maybe someone here knows the name. Being a big hearted hearing male the movie upset me greatly... I'd be the guy who has no problem falling in love with someone who is deaf. Every relationship has unique obstacles and situations and being deaf is something that could really strengthen the communication in a lot of relationships (which most need!). Seeing the ignorance some people have towards the hearing impaired. From not knowing how to handle themselves around you to treating you like a child... blah! I'm at the point in my life that I love learning new things.. Sign language is on my list of things to do. Unfortunately I don't know anyone around me who seems to know it... I'm not too sure what the point of this post is other than to get out thoughts while I sit here at work :) Glad to join the community here though. Hopefully I get to chat with some people!

Well, Gah once you figure out the name of the movie, go to the movie thread and share with the rest of us! :)

By the way, I can tell you are starting a new journey. Good luck! Don't worry, if you get lost, look to the stars!

Just last night I watched a movie about a deaf young woman running in to a hearing young man and falling in love. Although I can't remember the title of the movie for the life of me it was about the struggles they went through due to her over controlling mother.. Ultimately a sad movie :(.. Maybe someone here knows the name. Being a big hearted hearing male the movie upset me greatly... I'd be the guy who has no problem falling in love with someone who is deaf. Every relationship has unique obstacles and situations and being deaf is something that could really strengthen the communication in a lot of relationships (which most need!). Seeing the ignorance some people have towards the hearing impaired. From not knowing how to handle themselves around you to treating you like a child... blah! I'm at the point in my life that I love learning new things.. Sign language is on my list of things to do. Unfortunately I don't know anyone around me who seems to know it... I'm not too sure what the point of this post is other than to get out thoughts while I sit here at work :) Glad to join the community here though. Hopefully I get to chat with some people!

Hmmm, doesn't seem familiar. Was it foreign? What time period was it set in? Any other details that might give a clue?

Also, we don't call you "signing impaired," so don't call us "hearing impaired." Though some people don't mind it, it's not generally an acceptable term to use on this board. :)

Lastly, are there any community colleges near you? They always offer ASL classes at reasonable prices and convenient times.

Found it! Its called "listen to your heart" ... Its on Netflix! If anyone watches it let me know what you think!

Found it! Its called "listen to your heart" ... Its on Netflix! If anyone watches it let me know what you think!

Ohh, I saw that a while back and wanted to watch it, but it didn't have CC on streaming and I couldn't find an SRT file anywhere.

Now I see that netflix has subtitles for it. I'm going to watch it soon. :ty: for reminding me!

Welcome :wave: I will check it out.

To other ADers: when I saw the title to this thread I thought it was the return of Matajan. :)

Welcome :wave: I will check it out.

To other ADers: when I saw the title to this thread I thought it was the return of Matajan. :)

I still haven't had any luck contacting him and getting him to post in the winter contest thread. :(

heh heh heh

If you do not use Netflix ca rent from a rental store? I just watched a trailer on it on line and it looks good.

I saw that one a while back. It wasn't a bad movie. I liked it.

I'll be sure to watch it provided that it has subtitles and or CC. I do not have netflix sadly but will see if I can find it at the local movie store if not I can always order it.

Welcome to AD :)

Just asking the question, but are there any movies about a hearing girl dating a deaf guy? Seems like the deaf girl/hearing guy is the common template. "Children of a Lesser God" and "Listen to Your Heart."

Any hearing girl/deaf guy movies out there?

Not that I have a preference for that. It just occurred to me to ask about it.

Just asking the question, but are there any movies about a hearing girl dating a deaf guy? Seems like the deaf girl/hearing guy is the common template. "Children of a Lesser God" and "Listen to Your Heart."

Any hearing girl/deaf guy movies out there?

Not that I have a preference for that. It just occurred to me to ask about it.

Same here. I'm sick of deaf women with hearing men. I'm fed up. Where's the deaf man with hearing woman? (sighs)...

Same here. I'm sick of deaf women with hearing men. I'm fed up. Where's the deaf man with hearing woman? (sighs)...

I know a couple Deaf guys with hot hearing girlfriends. They got confidence.

But yeah . . . no movies about it. Lame.

I have always wondered about that. I bet it has something to do with using women to make it more endearing, like "oh poor dear" and make the viewers connect more because they want her to be "taken care of".

I have always wondered about that. I bet it has something to do with using women to make it more endearing, like "oh poor dear" and make the viewers connect more because they want her to be "taken care of".

This is probably as close to the truth as we can get. Deafness is typically viewed by the hearing majority as a weakness, and deaf people are viewed as needing support, help, charity, etc. The deaf are not viewed as being strong and able to stand up for themselves, so they therefore need a hearing population to take care of them.

This view is exactly the way most (if not all) societies view women. In both case, the underlying principle is patriarchalism. So it makes sense that most movies that are produced for a mainstream hearing audience are going to align the two patriarchal views: female and deaf = helpless and needing support = empathetic movie = kaching! at the box office.

I saw that movie and unfortunately, I didn't care for it. It was like they threw in everything including the kitchen sink. Also, I don't think the actress was Deaf, but I could be wrong. It probably didn't help that I saw the movie while home sick either.

It comes on Lifetime Movies all the time, especially during the holiday season. At least, here in NYC.

If you are looking for a decent romantic drama that has some very sad parts then it is a good choice, but if you're watching it as a representation of deafness then it is a really poor choice. It does a very inaccurate job portraying deaf character and the signing is wicked bad.

Spoiler alert-

the girl gets a CI and magically can hear right after the surgery.

It comes on Lifetime Movies all the time, especially during the holiday season.

Well that says it right there! Lifetime = sucky movies. I know some women *love* their drippy sagas - but I'm not one of them.

Bleah. :thumbd:

Uh, yes there is quite a few. "There Will Be Blood" An actor Russell Harvard played in it.

Back