Vertical line on monitor--solution?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
My neighbor's PC monitor had a single vertical line the full length of the left side of the screen (in the area where most icons are arranged). Over time, it appears to have gotten a little thicker. It's different colors at different times. She says it doesn't bother her, so should we just ignore it, or will it get worse? The monitor is less than three years old.

Panel is failing. It'll work its way over time, no way to pinpoint how long until it is really an issue.

There's the coax and rub the pixels method back to life but it's a crapshoot. Either it gets slightly better, nothing happens, or it gets worse (usually happens for me).

LCD's are pretty cheap these days new and especially second hand. Both the economy and that lawsuit against the panel makers dropped the prices significantly.

Edit: If it's still under warranty might want to check it. Usual 1 or 3 yr depending on mfg.

My neighbor's PC monitor had a single vertical line the full length of the left side of the screen (in the area where most icons are arranged). Over time, it appears to have gotten a little thicker. It's different colors at different times. She says it doesn't bother her, so should we just ignore it, or will it get worse? The monitor is less than three years old.

none. it's permanent damage.

ask if she frequently keeps monitor on for a long period of time.

none. it's permanent damage.

ask if she frequently keeps monitor on for a long period of time.
I know the answer to that question. She doesn't use her PC much at all, and she turns it only when she's using it. Maybe one hour per day? She uses her iPad for checking email.

I know the answer to that question. She doesn't use her PC much at all, and she turns it only when she's using it. Maybe one hour per day? She uses her iPad for checking email.

hhhhmmmmm.....

1. if the monitor is between speakers... that might be it - an electrical interference
2. give it a tap here n' there and then hope for best? :lol:
3. press the default button (or similar - some kind of reset) on monitor
4. adjust Display Properties especially Refresh Rate. If nada, then try changing resolution.

if nada.... then it's physically broken and since it's not bothering her, then leave it alone :lol:

there's a small chance that the monitor could be damaged from power outage even if it was off but it's still connected to power outlet. in case of storm, it's best to remove all plugs. the power outage damaged my HDTV bulb twice even though it was connected to expensive power surge protector. A $200 problem. :mad2:

plug it in to another computer or laptop / something with vga out if you want 100% confirmation it's the monitor. No need for arbitrary dabbling.

Thanks guys. Next time I go next door I'll try some of those suggestions.

Curious, is the monitor a Dell? I'm finding (at work) several Dell monitors are starting to show the vertical line down the screen as well.

If the line is moving, take the cat off the monitor.

I know I had a problem like that, but it was a moving line and we founds out that it's my cell phone being too close. Once I move my cell phone, it goes away.

I know I had a problem like that, but it was a moving line and we founds out that it's my cell phone being too close. Once I move my cell phone, it goes away.
Interesting. She doesn't keep a cell phone in the room.

Only problem to CRT only. Should not happen to any LCD types.

crt.jpg

This is CRT.

hhhhmmmmm.....

1. if the monitor is between speakers... that might be it - an electrical interference
2. give it a tap here n' there and then hope for best? :lol:
3. press the default button (or similar - some kind of reset) on monitor
4. adjust Display Properties especially Refresh Rate. If nada, then try changing resolution.

if nada.... then it's physically broken and since it's not bothering her, then leave it alone :lol:

there's a small chance that the monitor could be damaged from power outage even if it was off but it's still connected to power outlet. in case of storm, it's best to remove all plugs. the power outage damaged my HDTV bulb twice even though it was connected to expensive power surge protector. A $200 problem. :mad2:

Only happen to CRT. Nothing happen with LCD. There is some LCD with built-in speaker and nothing happen.

Ah, the problem monitor is LCD without speakers. Cross off that one.

Reba, does it look almost like that?

slasher_x_69.jpg
No, not that bad. :lol:

So far, it's only one line (or maybe a few skinny lines together), about 1/8-inch thick, on the left side. Similar to that red line on the far left of your image.

No, not that bad. :lol:

So far, it's only one line (or maybe a few skinny lines together), about 1/8-inch thick, on the left side. Similar to that red line on the far left of your image.

Yeah I know it's not that bad, just to get an idea for some people in here. I know it can happen to LCD monitors. I've seen the ones that cover the whole LCD and you can't see anything at all. Some even show half black and half with video, that looked odd.

They say it's possibility a bad video driver or the bad monitor itself. Best way is to take that monitor and plug it to your computer to see if it still displays that then it's the monitor. If it doesn't bother her then no worries.

Yeah I know it's not that bad, just to get an idea for some people in here. I know it can happen to LCD monitors. I've seen the ones that cover the whole LCD and you can't see anything at all. Some even show half black and half with video, that looked odd.
I would say it's time to replace those monitors! :lol:

Back