Best Deaf School?

Everyone have different preferring. You prefer to have a little social while other people prefer balance between education and social. Everyone have different definition of being success in their life. For deafdyke; he believe balance between education and social while you believe focus on education. For me, I agree with deafdyke because you need to have good mental, social, and physical to have good health. (that is called the Health Triangle.)

Exactly..............you start out in a Deaf School or program, so they have the base of education and socialization, and then take a Montessori approach.
Dhh kids should be able to have the advantages of socialization in the deaf and hearing worlds. It is very difficult for minorities to fully fit into the mainstream. Even oral sucesses will say they don't feel like they fit in with heairng people.....and a sense of belonging and community is extremely important.

That is because they get scared easily. They get ideas that things could end in a bad way. But honestly, there is no right or wrong way in this world, only Left or Right turns. I was one of the DHH kids and I will tell you this, I LEARNED NOTHING from that program, but I became a teacher to those other kids only because I was big, older, and smarter. Also advocates can fail and nothing is wrong with that, it only show you of ways you shouldn't do. This is really simple, just don't get scared and be brave to push forward in life. Life doesn't end until it does.

No, it has nothing to do with being scared easily. It's b/c many dhh kids didn't get the chance to even DEVELOP social skills or even develop socially emotionally, (b/c they were so busy trying to survive orally) Have you ever been randomly IMd by deaf guys looking for a girlfriend? I have, yes even with my screenname. Have you ever been randomly messaged on Facebook by some random person looking for dhh friends? Look at all the messages here by dhh folks saying they wish they could meet someone............it doesn't just appear out of nowhere....it starts in school.
And social skills are extremely important. ..Yes, book smarts are important yes .....but what good will that do, when you can't really interact very well with other people? I know many people with disabilties who missed out on social-emotional development, but who are "well educated" but who still don't have a job. A big part of that is poor social-emotional development.

Exactly..............you start out in a Deaf School or program, so they have the base of education and socialization, and then take a Montessori approach.
Dhh kids should be able to have the advantages of socialization in the deaf and hearing worlds. It is very difficult for minorities to fully fit into the mainstream. Even oral sucesses will say they don't feel like they fit in with heairng people.....and a sense of belonging and community is extremely important.

In the fact, I start out in a Deaf School (NJSD). And I am still attending to NJSD. Right now, I am junior student.

In the fact, I start out in a Deaf School (NJSD). And I am still attending to NJSD. Right now, I am junior student.

Oh wow.......have you gone to Deaf School, all your life? You're very lucky! Are you in the dorms or a day student? What a neat experiance!

Oh wow.......have you gone to Deaf School, all your life? You're very lucky! Are you in the dorms or a day student? What a neat experiance!

Yep, I went to deaf school for my whole life. Actually, I am day student but I was involving many after school activites such as soccer, robotic, and track.
Did you go to deaf school or mainstream school in your life?

Yep, I went to deaf school for my whole life. Actually, I am day student but I was involving many after school activites such as soccer, robotic, and track.
Did you go to deaf school or mainstream school in your life?

Mainstream school.....and not even one with a deaf/HOH program. When I was little I thought I was only deaf kid in the world. :( If I could do it over again, I'd go to deaf school or dhh regional program. My mom and dad both say they should have sent me to deaf school.

Mainstream school.....and not even one with a deaf/HOH program. When I was little I thought I was only deaf kid in the world. :( If I could do it over again, I'd go to deaf school or dhh regional program. My mom and dad both say they should have sent me to deaf school.

Good thing is that you involving with deaf community such as alldeaf. Where did you go for college?

Good thing is that you involving with deaf community such as alldeaf. Where did you go for college?

That's true......I went to a hearing college.....wish I'd gone to Gally but at the time they didn't have my major or minor........and I didn't really look into NTID b/c I didn't know about it....Wish I had......But am looking into grad school at RIT or Gally.

New to this forum

I am new here. This may have been addressed before, if so, forgive.

I haven't seen any posts/recommendations about the Tennessee School for the Deaf (TSD) in Knoxville, TN.

Any feedback?

I haven't seen any posts/recommendations about the Tennessee School for the Deaf (TSD) in Knoxville, TN.

Any feedback?

I dont know much about this one. Have you visit there?

Any feedback?

I haven't heard but,again the good thing about most deaf schools is that if they have the properly trained teachers and on par curriculum they have the POTENTIAL to be good. Like if its not labled as outright bad (and there are some bad deaf schools) it's still got the potential to produce well educated/well rounded kids. Also many Deaf Schools still do have a sizable population of academic/college bound kids.....Visit it and check it out.

Wirelessly posted

I'm glad you pointed out the University high school. That's the direction we are going however our HOH son is only 4. He is acquiring oral education with sigh support. I teach him ASL at home. Unfortunately we live in a small town in Florida where the deaf resources are limited. We are considering to relocate to st. Augustine for fsdb there. They seem to offer program that our son can get oral education with sign support. I'd like for him to be around various of deaf and HOH kids his age. But we will have him mainstreamed once his language is up to the par. I was wondering what are your thoughts on FSDB ? We are also looking into Temecula, CA to move. And OC Cali too. We are looking for different elementary schools in OC and Temecula that have majority of deaf/HOH/CI mainstreamers- know any?

Scarletsails,that's AWESOME! I totally would relocate to a better school.....FSDB is HOH friendly......it sounds like he'd fit in almost everywhere except for a very "silent" school/program. What about Texas School for the Deaf? (becoming a REALLY good Deaf school...like "move to it" good) Washington and Oregon Schools? St Rita's? TLC? Maryland School?

Oregon School is good? YAY! Doesn't surprise me! My thinking is that unless a Deaf School/program is REALLY straight out bad, (ie USDB, etc)it still will have the potential to produce strongly academic kids....does that make any sense? And BTW to the lurkers.....Yes, deaf ed isn't awesome but public school isn't that great either.....
I know some low incidence "grey area"(they aren't mentally disabled and are strongly academic but would be lost in a mainstream school) kids whose parents have told me if they were dhh, they'd go to a deaf school in a FLASH....Public school inclusion for kids with all sorts of things, stopped being innovative around 1985

I currently attend Rochester School for the Deaf and I would say that it's the most worst school for deaf children in USA. I definitely think that Indiana School for the Deaf is the most best deaf school. Indiana has awesome people, and without having to look at the whole campus, classmates and the teachers, I already can see that Indiana has the best education. How do I know that? Well, my friends who attends Indiana mostly have grammar that is equal to a hearing kid. I'm able to social with them, because I understand them, just like they understand me. My happiness eventually rises when I go to Indiana for summer camps, MDO and Camp Willard. I'm only a seventh grader at RSD, but I'm smarter than all of the 8th graders (probably because RSD only has 20 students in total in their middle school program lol), :/ Anyways I only have one peer in my class, and in some classes contains only myself (I am alone in FACS, social studies, math, and many more). If I was a parent, I would not take my child(ren) to Rochester School for the Deaf. I'll only take them to Indiana or Fremont. When I'm a freshman, I'm getting out of that dumpster that people considers as RSD. I'll go to MSSD instead, because I want what's the best for me.

Abby, can you supplement with taking some mainstream courses? Are you frustrated b/c you feel like you're surrounded by low achiever kids? I know it's not their fault... most kids at deaf schools are those who really fell through the cracks....At least you have MSSD as an option in a bit....that should be really fun!

I currently attend Rochester School for the Deaf and I would say that it's the most worst school for deaf children in USA. I definitely think that Indiana School for the Deaf is the most best deaf school. Indiana has awesome people, and without having to look at the whole campus, classmates and the teachers, I already can see that Indiana has the best education. How do I know that? Well, my friends who attends Indiana mostly have grammar that is equal to a hearing kid. I'm able to social with them, because I understand them, just like they understand me. My happiness eventually rises when I go to Indiana for summer camps, MDO and Camp Willard. I'm only a seventh grader at RSD, but I'm smarter than all of the 8th graders (probably because RSD only has 20 students in total in their middle school program lol), :/ Anyways I only have one peer in my class, and in some classes contains only myself (I am alone in FACS, social studies, math, and many more). If I was a parent, I would not take my child(ren) to Rochester School for the Deaf. I'll only take them to Indiana or Fremont. When I'm a freshman, I'm getting out of that dumpster that people considers as RSD. I'll go to MSSD instead, because I want what's the best for me.
I feel you that one. Have you talk to your parents about MSSD? I wonder if you can go to ind instead of MSSD?

Back