Pissed at Cochlear Americas over parts pricing

purplecatty

Reaction score
I have Nucelus N5 processor and had it for 1 1/2 year after upgrading from Nucelus N24.

Last night, My wife had an accident and damaged 2 of my rechargeable batteries which was "locked" into charging base (twist lock socket). The twistlock base of batteries were ripped off. Charging base (which have 4 sockets) are fine. I was pretty upset over it because I needed it for my Dock Clerk job which are dangerous that I spend most of time waltzing around forklifts, tugs, and speeders (It's a 15 ft long Ride-on electric "hand truck" and it goes very fast (12mph). Also to communicate with Managers and employees as well. Although I do not understand anything over intercom or walkie talkie neither phone. I rely on reading lips and hear same time to understand better (I would say 70% of the times). Basically I was pissed off and had to use 675 type battery case that uses two 675 CI power hearing aid batteries for my N6 processor. Battery only last me 5 minutes until I check 6 pack battery, It turned out it's a High Power type for my wife's hearing aid. Not CI type.

This morning after work, I had a Live Chat with Cochlear Amercas and she told me it cost $210 for pair of rechargeable battery. Warranty for batteries been expired cuz it's past 1 year. I went through the roof and angry. I told her it's a really big rip off. I told her I am not a Millionaire!!! She said it is a special technology in battery. I told her I know alot about electronics and it's a Lithium Polymer battery!! It is not expensive!! I compared it to $100 Lithium Ion power drill battery to $100 for tiny CI battery!!! I told her I would rather spend $20 for each rechargeable battery than spend $100 for one! I told her I needed replacement battery for my job because I waltzing around with forklifts, tugs and speeders and have to hear around me for Safety and communication with manager and employees!!!. She suggest me make payment with Cochelar credit, I told her NO! I do not want any more credit bills, I have bills and have creditor after me for medical bills. She suggested me try donation which is a used CI equipment. I told her NO! I do not want used batteries. I just want new cuz I want it last more than 8 hours each work nights! I pointed out that price of battery is risking my job!! I simply cannot afford it!!!

Then I asked her if I can talk with her Supervisor. I waited for few minutes then finally she responded that she will send me 1 free rechargeable battery. I said fine just one! Should I send broken one back (1 for 1, Not 1 for 2). she said yes. It will be mailed through Fed Ex and will arrive Monday.

After that, I click to send chat to Email and close chat. After that there is questionnaire asking how is the service. I selected Neutral and last two asking me why I rate it. I typed short paragraph prodding about price which hurts retired people who live on limited budgets and many CI users who need it on job or normal life. It's not fair to pay so much just to hear!!!

as for Improvement-- Lower the price that EVERYONE Can afford and I would buy 4 or more with price that I can afford.

I know you MAY NOT agree with me on point view on pricing of CI parts. It made me very very angry for them ripping off CI users charging $105 for rechargeable battery, $100 for coil lanyard with audio jack (for listening walkman ect) ect. Remember parts wears out quickly and if you are on SSI or tight with budget. You may think I'm crazy for not understanding it's a medical equipments. I tell you it's a BIG BS!!!

Why?? Because I studied Electronics. This made me think differently. I get so angry that Audiologist charging $5,000 for just a canal hearing aid. As you aware that microchips, microphone, speaker, volume control and switches or buttons worth just fractions of price at factory. Factory sells them $100 each and Audiologist sells them 500% to 1000% price range. As for CI processor, they're basically microchips with erasable memory, pair of microphones, switches, coil section basically pair of wound wire thinner than human hair. Rechargeable battery is 3.7v Lithium Polymer type which you can find anywhere in website under $10. All Cochlear Companies, Cochlear Americas, Med-El, and Advanced Bionics sells them 500% of price range. Why would we have to spend so much just to hear and parts wears out quickly and they expect us to use insurance or out of our pocket paying at exorbitant price! In matter of fact some of CI users are wearing it everyday for safety purpose! Companies are risking lives of CI users and even risking user's job as well. I wish we can have grassroot effort to fight against CI companies to put a stop on pricing practice that hurts every CI users. Make price affordable that we can buy replacement parts at a price of 3 or 4 McDonalds Big Mac Meal. Also stop them from ordering Audiologist throwing away equipments for remapping old CI processors to force CI Users to upgrade at their expense if Insurance don't cover. They're controlling our live and our jobs. Don't let them control, It's our body and our rights to hear things through CI or Hearing aid and we have right to afford without burden of hefty prices.

My dad who is retired (he does not know anything about electronics) also is angry about Audiologist ripping off retired people. Retired people living on limited budget and they need to hear but cannot afford at all. My aunt wears hearing aid and she said 12 pack batteries cost $12, it only last her 3 to 4 hours between change. I told her about Microbattery and helped her order one, She was so grateful that I helped her save tons of money.

Am I making sense?? If you don't agree with me, sorry that you don't understand.

Catty

no insurance to help? I know how you felt about it.. My hub is very angery with the CI company as well as our insurance the they wont help my hub. he accidently lost his processor unit.. It costs about 8 thousands. oh He said, " i wish i never go for CI in the first place due to freaking expensive." He said, "HA is so convenient." :(

no insurance to help? I know how you felt about it.. My hub is very angery with the CI company as well as our insurance the they wont help my hub. he accidently lost his processor unit.. It costs about 8 thousands. oh He said, " i wish i never go for CI in the first place due to freaking expensive." He said, "HA is so convenient." :(

Yes, This is what happened to many CI users who have "out of warranty" CI processors. Sadly, My old N24 processor had bad microphone, I contacted Hearing Aid Insurance agent and they don't cover CI processor repair ect, only hearing aids that's it. I was told to use my Home Insurance to cover repair. I called Home Insurance Agent and they told me deductible is $1,500. I was feeling really f**ked. It is clearly that Cochlear companies are pushing doctors and Audiologists into pressuring parents or patient into getting CI where there's dead end after Warranty expires. All of us CI user don't have anything back up once warranty expired, we all will be in deep s**t. It's not fair that Hearing Aid user have all those convenience that their lost HA will be replaced by Health Insurance (depending on company contract with Heath Insurance) and Hearing aid Insurance to cover the cost of lost HA. CI processor, nope!! I cannot wear HA at all or else I would become dizzy and vomit because my hearing level is 120db without HA or CI

Cochlear Americas says either pay $500 for unit repair or $500 a month for warranty replacement. It make no difference if you just pay $500 to have it repaired but it's actually reprogrammed to another refurbished CI unit. I don't mind that if have to pay $500 for refurbished processor but I don't like the idea of paying $500 a month.

Basically they are actually hurting CI users than helping. It's their way of profiting over CI user disadvantage.

Catty

Purplecatty....I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this. That is great that you got them to give you a battery for free. ALL of the accessories are extremely expensive. I noticed today on Cochlear's website that they are out of stock on the longer batteries which are the ones I use. I can't believe they charge like $40 for those tiny tiny microphone covers.

I've had my N5 almost three years and my rechargeable batteries still last me all day. I've never used the battery covers, not sure why.

Purplecatty....I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this. That is great that you got them to give you a battery for free. ALL of the accessories are extremely expensive. I noticed today on Cochlear's website that they are out of stock on the longer batteries which are the ones I use. I can't believe they charge like $40 for those tiny tiny microphone covers.

I've had my N5 almost three years and my rechargeable batteries still last me all day. I've never used the battery covers, not sure why.

Yes, that's how you feel about $40 microphone cover. I can compare Dr charging $200 for couple of asprins. So Basically, the cost of parts is exorbitant. It's wrong for them to charge so much for little things. I have two rechargeable batteries that last me all day too. I believe that they ran out of stock possibility demands on new CI sets for first time users. Thing is that we all need replacement batteries once every 3 or 4 years because Lithium polymer batteries like any Lithium batteries have limited charge/discharge cycle like 500 times before it starts to degrade quickly.

Catty

Just wondering if you have insurance as insurance will pay for 675 ci batteries through cochlear

Its a problem everywhere. Not just cochlear in my opinion.

Why prescription meds cost 1,000 for a month supply when it only cost 20 cent in making it?

It costs craploads of dollars in trails before human test thats craploads more
Then when FDA finally approve.. patent is protected for few years so the company can recoup their expenses without competition and start to break even, then theres stockholders and employees to pay as well,

Unfortunately Cochlear has patented their product very well there is probably no chance a competition market can come up with replacement parts so Cochlear basically has monopoly on their products.

But I know cochlear spend tons of money in research and trails alone.

Like the farmer said, he knew how to plant, grow and harvest food so he didn't need God anymore. Then God said, Go find your own dirt.

I know the parts and accessories are extremely overpriced! I wish I knew something to say...... even middle class people are struggling with high GENRAL medical costs.
CI people are lucky, as their CI is generally covered by insurance (unlike HAs)
But the accessories are so high in price that unless you've got a REALLY good high paying job (ie Silicon Valley, Fortune 500) it's going to be really hard to pay for everything.

I know the parts and accessories are extremely overpriced! I wish I knew something to say...... even middle class people are struggling with high GENRAL medical costs.
CI people are lucky, as their CI is generally covered by insurance (unlike HAs)
But the accessories are so high in price that unless you've got a REALLY good high paying job (ie Silicon Valley, Fortune 500) it's going to be really hard to pay for everything.

I think there is a thread somewhere about it insurance will pay for CI since its surgical and a hearing aid is classified at cosmetic or something like that. And its been mentioned CI parts are over priced but have to have them so there is no choice but to pay their prices. Pack of 4 mic covers is $40 bucks and those are just tiny pieces of plastic pretty much. Cochlear (last time I ordered) offered free shipping if you spend over a certain amount but forget how much it was now.

I think there is a thread somewhere about it insurance will pay for CI since its surgical and a hearing aid is classified at cosmetic or something like that. And its been mentioned CI parts are over priced but have to have them so there is no choice but to pay their prices. Pack of 4 mic covers is $40 bucks and those are just tiny pieces of plastic pretty much. Cochlear (last time I ordered) offered free shipping if you spend over a certain amount but forget how much it was now.
Purplecatty, One error that was posted is to extend the insurance, it is not $500 a month, its $500 a term (+/-) just get insurance extended for whatever alloted time frame they offer and quit whining. Ive done it with hearing aids, with appliances, with electronics... we all get reamed one way or another, but geeze, go with the flow. Eventually when all the hype settles, costs will be lower as in every product made on this planet. I did my research, and I accepted that it comes at a cost... if you dont like it, quit paying, quit using, case solved...you will be where you would be without it...Deaf.

Yes, This is what happened to many CI users who have "out of warranty" CI processors. Sadly, My old N24 processor had bad microphone, I contacted Hearing Aid Insurance agent and they don't cover CI processor repair ect, only hearing aids that's it. I was told to use my Home Insurance to cover repair. I called Home Insurance Agent and they told me deductible is $1,500. I was feeling really f**ked. It is clearly that Cochlear companies are pushing doctors and Audiologists into pressuring parents or patient into getting CI where there's dead end after Warranty expires. All of us CI user don't have anything back up once warranty expired, we all will be in deep s**t. It's not fair that Hearing Aid user have all those convenience that their lost HA will be replaced by Health Insurance (depending on company contract with Heath Insurance) and Hearing aid Insurance to cover the cost of lost HA. CI processor, nope!! I cannot wear HA at all or else I would become dizzy and vomit because my hearing level is 120db without HA or CI

Cochlear Americas says either pay $500 for unit repair or $500 a month for warranty replacement. It make no difference if you just pay $500 to have it repaired but it's actually reprogrammed to another refurbished CI unit. I don't mind that if have to pay $500 for refurbished processor but I don't like the idea of paying $500 a month.

Basically they are actually hurting CI users than helping. It's their way of profiting over CI user disadvantage.

Catty

I think you may of misunderstood someone, I can't believe they are going to charge anyone $500 per month for a warranty replacement. If that's the case pay the one time $500 repair fee and forget about the $500 per month warranty replacement and just pay to get it fixed the next time. You can also check with some of the major HA repair centers, some also repair CI and they are probably cheaper than the manufacturer.

I think you may of misunderstood someone, I can't believe they are going to charge anyone $500 per month for a warranty replacement. If that's the case pay the one time $500 repair fee and forget about the $500 per month warranty replacement and just pay to get it fixed the next time. You can also check with some of the major HA repair centers, some also repair CI and they are probably cheaper than the manufacturer.

Here's a link to the plans. They aren't cheap.

http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/con...-support/service-plans#cochlear-care-complete

Agreed with you Botti,
A large part of the reason I don't like HLAA and AG Bell is that they imply that THE ANSWER to our woes is the LATEST HA/CI with the latest gadget/gizmo etc.... They seem not to understand that while there are people who have no issues whatsoever paying for hearing healthcare, most of us are STRUGGLING big time to even pay for basic costs.... When's the last time you ever saw an article in Volta Voices or HLAA's magazine about the high costs of hearing healthcare?

Back