bilateral hearing loss 1 FM?

dhn121

Reaction score
Is there any reason why the school would only provide 1 FM boot for my son when he has bilateral hearing loss and was ARD for an FM system? Just wonder if there's a reason why they're doing this and if I should fight to get him the other?

Thanks

that's crazy!
I only have two FM boots attached to my hearing aids when I'm at school

If I were you, go with your mother intincts and fight for it. :)

You should definitely fight to get him a second one. I used fm at uni and two fm receivers are so much better than just one!

You definitely need to fight for 2nd boot, I have always been brought up using 2. 2 ears are better than one.

I don't even know where to go to fight for this. Have an appointment with the private AuD and see if she recommends having 2 and get her to write in her recommendation. The school AuD tells me all the students in this school wears just 1 FM rather they have unilateral or bilateral hearing loss. uggg...so annoyed!!

Why do you even want a FM system. I had to fight to refuse to use the system lol.

But thats just me, I didnt want a FM system cause it drains batteries, and requires more "effort" in keeping it from being lost or broken and taking with me to evry class and giving it to the teacher and then to the nurse after im done with school day.
Plus I'd hate to get "direct sound" to the teacher. (yes I was forced to "try" (really, just to show i gave it a try) and hated the direct voice)

Again thats just me because I dont have many issues in school being deaf with CI.
--------------
If you want your son to have 2nd then Id recommend fighting because everyone has rights/access to these Fms due to disability act. Theyre probably only letting him have one instead of 2 because it saves the board of edu some money in the budget. Hearing impair budget is large considering covering all the students, (captions, speakers, notetakers, teacher(s) of the HoH, batteries)

Why do you even want a FM system. I had to fight to refuse to use the system lol.
My son is 3. He has borderline severe/profound hearing loss in both ears. I was told/have read that with FM system speech is clearer.

So after I questioned the school's AuD about having just 1 boot. She put the 2nd one on. Yesterday, I get a call from her saying that if/when another child needs the boot she would have to remove it from my son for the other child because of budget issue. really? Can they do that? Can they deny him of the 2nd boot. Can they give it to him and then take it away because of "budget issue" and give it to another child?

I don't know about the legality of it all, but..
As a teenager with bilateral hearing aids/bilat FM boot, I know that 90% of the time I'm only using one FM. BUT, this is because my hearing loss ISN'T profound and I'm an angsty teenager, so I'll usually pick which ear is facing the most of the class (or my best friend, whatever) and turn that ear on MIC, so I feel more "hearing" and get more of the general background noise.
Being that your son is three and probably doesn't have that kind of logic going for him yet.. he should probably have both ears on FM. I know I tend to understand things better when I can hear it with both ears.
As far as everything else, I think my FM/boots/hearing aids were covered by secondary insurance. My school doesn't pay for anything of mine hearing-related-- and all of it will go to college with me. I got all of my stuff through my audiologist, of course.

As far as everything else, I think my FM/boots/hearing aids were covered by secondary insurance. My school doesn't pay for anything of mine hearing-related-- and all of it will go to college with me. I got all of my stuff through my audiologist, of course.

I wish insurance would cover the cost. My insurance only covers $1k for each every 3 years. The hearing aids alone cost me $4k+ after insurance. that doesn't include the doctor's visit or ear mold change (he's gone through 5 in the last 7 months). I just want for him to hear and understand thing better. His ENT keeps telling me how "important" it is for him to have access to speech right now. I just want for him to get what he needs.

He's in pre-k right now. From now until he goes to college I'm sure the technology would change and we'll face that when we do. After putting up $4k. Putting up another $4k for FM? ugg...it'll be nice if the school would just give him what he needs instead of making me fight for every little bit.

Back