VCO in Cellphones?

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
Last week I got an Epic 4G cellphone and have Sorenson installed in it. It works okay, though it can get awkward holding the phone with one hand and signing with the other. I wonder if there is a VCO service I can download, where I can talk into the phone and either read the replies through words or Sign Language? Sorenson does not have that feature, rats. Does anyone know?

Last week I got an Epic 4G cellphone and have Sorenson installed in it. It works okay, though it can get awkward holding the phone with one hand and signing with the other. I wonder if there is a VCO service I can download, where I can talk into the phone and either read the replies through words or Sign Language? Sorenson does not have that feature, rats. Does anyone know?

I use the Sprint CapTel app on my Evo 4g. You have to download another app called Adobe AIR for it to work, and it does that for you when you download the captel app. It works nicely.

Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint800

With Cap Tel, you need to listen to the phone. I cannot do that. Hmmm.

Why would you need to listen? The whole point of CapTel is that you can speak but can't hear.

Also, they do make little stands for the phone so you can set it on a surface and sign, my daughter just puts it on her desk and both hands free.

Why would you need to listen? The whole point of CapTel is that you can speak but can't hear.

Also, they do make little stands for the phone so you can set it on a surface and sign, my daughter just puts it on her desk and both hands free.

This from the link:

Wireless CapTel by Sprint is a free app available for individuals with hearing loss to place calls using CapTel services on select AndroidTM powered devices running OS 2.2 or higher. Using state-of-the-art voice recognition technology, CapTel delivers captions of everything your caller says, while you listen (with your residual hearing) and speak directly to your caller.
:confused:

And yeah, I will build a stand somehow. :giggle:

ZVRS supports both VCO (audio on a second audio call leg) and VCO+ (audio channel as part of your VRS video call).

With VCO+, you can voice and watch the interpreter sign the conversation to you.

You can install Z4 on most Android phones from Google Market, or on your iPhone/iPad2 from Apple's iStore.

The Epic 4G was one of the earliest phones supported.

You don't NEED to listen or be able to hear anything. It's just an option if you want to. I've used CapTel without having my implants on, in other words I was completely stone deaf and couldn't hear anything. I just use it like regular VCO.

ZVRS supports both VCO (audio on a second audio call leg) and VCO+ (audio channel as part of your VRS video call).

With VCO+, you can voice and watch the interpreter sign the conversation to you.

You can install Z4 on most Android phones from Google Market, or on your iPhone/iPad2 from Apple's iStore.

The Epic 4G was one of the earliest phones supported.

Looks perfect! :ty:

You don't NEED to listen or be able to hear anything. It's just an option if you want to. I've used CapTel without having my implants on, in other words I was completely stone deaf and couldn't hear anything. I just use it like regular VCO.

Ahhh, okay then. I am comparing them and will decide soon. Thanks.

Here's a link to a really nice stand for your model. There are others that are cheaper though.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Crystal-Samsung-Stand-Flakes/dp/B000I8H84K[/ame]

I'd like to reiterate what every one has said about CapTel Sure it's nice if you can listen but there's no requirement. :) I think that VRS VCO has less latency, but I'm not as experienced with that.

CDMA does not allow both Data and Voice at the same time. When you use CapTel you're calling with your phone and using minutes. When you're in a 4G you'll be fine but when you're in 3G only or Roaming you will not be able to use voice and data at the same time!
(I went to Sprint's website and confirmed this via live chat with a customer support person.)

That is why I have two smartphones to use Webcaptel. One phone for talking and other phone for texting. Works good!

Well, you have a computer and the phone. You talk on the phone while you see the captions on the computer. With my smartphone is the same thing as a computer only a internet screen you read what the caller says on the screen while I'm on the other phone talking to the caller.

Well, you have a computer and the phone. You talk on the phone while you see the captions on the computer. With my smartphone is the same thing as a computer only a internet screen you read what the caller says on the screen while I'm on the other phone talking to the caller.

I guess I mean how do you get the two phones connected to the person's one number that you are talking to?

I guess I mean how do you get the two phones connected to the person's one number that you are talking to?

Hamilton CapTel: Web CapTel: Placing Calls

Look at the above site for web CapTel. If using that with two cell phones you use the browser in one to go to their site and the Place Call Form. In one box you enter your other cell phone number. In the other box you enter the number of who you want to call. The Hamilton site calls your other cell phone first, after you answer it the call is placed by Hamilton to the number you put in as who you want to call. When they answer you get captions of what they are saying on your first cell phone (the one with the browser open that you used to start all this). You use the second cell phone to talk (with your voice) to whoever you called.

I have done this with two phones both of which happen to use Verizon towers but are activated with Tracfone and Page Plus. It does not matter who your phones are activated with.

Edit: It is nice if you can hear enough to know when the other person quits talking when they first answer the call. There is a bit of a lag while the captionist is typing to you and the person called may hang up during that period of silence if you don't go ahead and give them a voice greeting explaining what kind of call you are making. You don't have to understand what they are saying to do this; just know when they quit talking.

Last edited:
I use the Sprint CapTel app on my Evo 4g. You have to download another app called Adobe AIR for it to work, and it does that for you when you download the captel app. It works nicely.

Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint800

I have put the Wireless CapTel by Sprint on a Droid 2 that is activated on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) in a Verizon 3G area. But . . . I cannot give much feedback about it as I have only made a couple of test calls using it. It did work.

Edit: As I also added to my prior post it is nice if you can hear enough to know when the other person quits talking when they first answer the call. There is a bit of a lag while the captionist is typing to you and the person called may hang up during that period of silence if you don't go ahead and give them a voice greeting explaining what kind of call you are making. You don't have to understand what they are saying to do this; just know when they quit talking.

Back