Growing Deaf Community on Google+

yizuman

Reaction score
There's a growing base of deaf users coming to Google+ which is much like Facebook, but much better.

Google has deaf employees that is working with the deaf community, garnering feedbacks from the community as to how to make G+ the best social network for the entire deaf community around the world and the results from the community has been very positive. There are hearing people working with the deaf community as well that works for Google with knowledge of sign language.

One girl Naomi Black, who is hearing, but has knowledge of ASL is communicating with the deaf community, she's working hard with us and sending feedback to Google to help improve the social experience for us.

I believe it's open to the public now, as it was said it would be open to the public on July 31st, right now, over 20 million users is using G+.

If G+ is still closed to the public, send me a PM with a preferred email addy and I will shoot you guys an invite.

I'm pretty excited about G+ and the endless possibilities that G+ will offer, especially for the deaf community.

Has anyone tried it yet? Lemme know what you guys think of it.

Cheers!

Yiz

Im on google+ I really like it. There are two things I wish I could change

1. Some sort of pop up notification instead of the number at the top turning on. Something like facebook has

2. On the phone app I wish you could change the vibrate settings like you can on handcent SMS. On handcent you can customize the vibrate pattern. Google+ app says it vibrates, but Ive yet to have my phone vibrate for notifications

Im on google+ I really like it. There are two things I wish I could change

1. Some sort of pop up notification instead of the number at the top turning on. Something like facebook has

2. On the phone app I wish you could change the vibrate settings like you can on handcent SMS. On handcent you can customize the vibrate pattern. Google+ app says it vibrates, but Ive yet to have my phone vibrate for notifications

You used the feedback button on the bottom right corner? They encourage users to use it so they can see what it is peeps wants, especially from the deaf community. Make it clear you're deaf so they can understand why this idea works.

Yiz

interesting! nice hear deaf community new google !

You used the feedback button on the bottom right corner? They encourage users to use it so they can see what it is peeps wants, especially from the deaf community. Make it clear you're deaf so they can understand why this idea works.

Yiz

ive sent in feedback twice.

I tried Google Plus but I don't understand how it would work. It looks so plain and not much to do?

I just joined thanks to the invite from YIZ. Still learning how to use it and find friends.

What I think I will love though - is the ability to control who sees what posts I make. Some of my friends on FB probably could care less about what I post and vice versa - mostly because we only somewhat know each other.

The first thing I thought of when I heard of public hangouts was "Oh hey, this would be awesome for group ASL chat!"

not open to the public yet and the site says exceed their capacity for people who've been invited already ..

not open to the public yet and the site says exceed their capacity for people who've been invited already ..

For right now, only those that are in can give out invites. All they need is an email address, you can PM one of us that you can see that are in for one and they'll shoot you an invite....

Yiz

No. Alicia is right. I have an invite, but I can't get in. It says it's exceeded its capacity and no new invites are being accepted right now.

No. Alicia is right. I have an invite, but I can't get in. It says it's exceeded its capacity and no new invites are being accepted right now.

Hmmm, whacked. Ok, sorry guys.

It'll open to the public soon, so be patient...

Yiz

Keep trying, maybe it's due to the traffic. Yiz sent me an invite and I was able to get in about an hour ago. :ty: Yiz!

On a side note I haven't quite figured out how to use it yet, but it look interesting. Hopefully I have more time to play around there tomorrow.

Well - I sent in a PM and never got the invite. I tried to go to the site and was told it's full.

it's open to all now! :D :D The google hangouts look nice for group chatting...

It would be nice to work for Google ;)

Google Hangouts looks pretty cool. Have no one to chat to on it right now. I guess will give it time until more people join Google+ I only have 15 in my circles.

Back