Converting English text to ASL gloss

mituser

Reaction score
Dear all,
I'm new in this forum. And I found it very interesting.

I'm working on sign language processing. So, I want to know how can i convert English written text to ASL gloss.
1/ Are there rules to respect ?
2/ Are there useful online ressources ?

Thank you.

That's a huge question. Of course there are rules to respect, and they are very complex and nuanced to the point that nobody could adequately describe them in a forum post. Try describing the rules of any language in the brief format of an internet post and you'd find the task similarly impossible.

As for online resources, Lifeprint.com is excellent.

That's a huge question. Of course there are rules to respect, and they are very complex and nuanced to the point that nobody could adequately describe them in a forum post. Try describing the rules of any language in the brief format of an internet post and you'd find the task similarly impossible.

Wow, an EXCELLENT reference point for my friends! Thanks!

Hey I love that link!

Oh thank you for the link.

My need is how to convert English sentence to ASL like this:
English sentence : What city do you live in?
In ASL : CITY YOU LIVE?

or:
English sentence : Do you like learning sign?
In ASL : YOU LIKE LEARN SIGN?

So, I tried to extract grammar rules of English sentences. Then, I want to convert the english written text to ASL.

Are there any useful ressources ?

Thansk in advance.

1/ Are there rules to respect ?
Yes. As you learn ASL, you will learn the rules of grammar and syntax. If you are taking an ASL class, your instructor should be explaining and using the rules.

2/ Are there useful online ressources ?
Others here have given some online resources. The book that I recommend for learning the grammar rules is from the Green Book Series, titled A Teacher's Resource Text on Grammar and Culture by Charlotte Baker and Dennis Cokely.

Oh thank you for the link.

My need is how to convert English sentence to ASL like this:
English sentence : What city do you live in?
In ASL : CITY YOU LIVE?

or:
English sentence : Do you like learning sign?
In ASL : YOU LIKE LEARN SIGN?

So, I tried to extract grammar rules of English sentences. Then, I want to convert the english written text to ASL.

Are there any useful ressources ?

Thansk in advance.

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly. If you mean a simple guide for translating English to ASL, you're unlikely to find anything like that.

And for the record, neither of those examples are ASL. I might translate the first one as:

CITY YOU FROM NAME WHAT?

and the second:

SIGN LANGUAGE YOU LEARN ENJOY?

The problem with translating into sign language this way is that, obviously, it's words and not signs, but also you're not getting any of the non-manual grammatical signals and affect that are a part of the language.

I'm new to this, but I've been wondering why don't glosses include commas (for where one would pause in their signing) and notations to indicate facial expressions?

I am an ASL 101 student in desparate need for a English to Gloss translator. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm new to this, but I've been wondering why don't glosses include commas (for where one would pause in their signing) and notations to indicate facial expressions?

The green books by Dennis Cokely have helped me a lot. At first I didn't understand, but one of my Deaf teachers explained it much better than a hearing teacher I previously had.

These books DO have notations to indicate facial expressions and direction references. It also has many other symbols and notations to represent various parts of the sentences.There is no "true" written form of ASL, but I find these green books very helpful.

The green books by Dennis Cokely have helped me a lot. At first I didn't understand, but one of my Deaf teachers explained it much better than a hearing teacher I previously had.

These books DO have notations to indicate facial expressions and direction references. It also has many other symbols and notations to represent various parts of the sentences.There is no "true" written form of ASL, but I find these green books very helpful.

There is one book titled "Linguistics of ASL" and throughout the book, one can find glosses of phrases that have symbols and notations to show face expressions and direction, location, and pronoun references. Also, there are certain terms that can be used for mouth morphemes such as CHA. :)

I am an ASL 101 student in desparate need for a English to Gloss translator. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There is no such program that functions as an English to Gloss translator. You will need to use help from skilled ASL users who have a strong understanding of linguistics to help in that regard. That's why we are here to help you!

Help

Hey, I've recently become enthralled with signing and the deaf community i realize tht as a hearing person i cant just step into the deaf world but it really interests me.
I'm wanting help to translate the song "how Deep The Father's Love For Us" into gloss.
here are the words:
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him ther
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Translating artistic expressions like music and poetry is a whole different matter than straight translations from English. You really need to look past the language and find the deep meaning of the text.

For example, the first lines of the song, "How deep the Father's love for us; How vast beyond all measure" could be signed as GOD LOVE WOW-AWESOME; FOREVER LIMIT NONE

Of course nobody here is going to translate the whole song for you. Show us what you've come up with, and I'm sure you'll get some feedback.

Last edited:
Gloss Conversion

I too, at 57, am an ASL student. In the second year you have to convert fables to gloss and present to the teacher and another Deaf adult your production. The grade if not just for your signing, but your expressions (which hearing people do not use) and shoulder shifting and also a copy of your Gloss. It is hard work (which is why the assignment is given over the spring break. Many students are looking for Quick and Easy answers to this problem. BUT, if you can't do the majority of the work yourself, how do you plan on being an interpreter for the Deaf? It is a way to get you focused on what you need to do to succeed in the business! Good luck to all who are assigned this project.

At midnight, in the month of June,
I stand beneath the mystic moon.
An opiate vapor, dewy, dim,
Exhales from out her golden rim,
And softly dripping, drop by drop,
Upon the quiet mountain top,
Steals drowsily and musically
Into the universal valley.
The rosemary nods upon the grave;
The lily lolls upon the wave;
Wrapping the fog about its breast,
The ruin moulders into rest;
Looking like Lethe, see! the lake
A conscious slumber seems to take,
And would not, for the world, awake.
All Beauty sleeps!—and lo! where lies
Irene, with her Destinies!

Oh, lady bright! can it be right—
This window open to the night?
The wanton airs, from the tree-top,
Laughingly through the lattice drop—
The bodiless airs, a wizard rout,
Flit through thy chamber in and out,
And wave the curtain canopy
So fitfully—so fearfully—
Above the closed and fringéd lid
’Neath which thy slumb’ring soul lies hid,
That, o’er the floor and down the wall,
Like ghosts the shadows rise and fall!
Oh, lady dear, hast thou no fear?
Why and what art thou dreaming here?
Sure thou art come o’er far-off seas,
A wonder to these garden trees!
Strange is thy pallor! strange thy dress!
Strange, above all, thy length of tress,
And this all solemn silentness!

The lady sleeps! Oh, may her sleep,
Which is enduring, so be deep!
Heaven have her in its sacred keep!
This chamber changed for one more holy,
This bed for one more melancholy,
I pray to God that she may lie
Forever with unopened eye,
While the pale sheeted ghosts go by!

My love, she sleeps! Oh, may her sleep,
As it is lasting, so be deep!
Soft may the worms about her creep!
Far in the forest, dim and old,
For her may some tall vault unfold—
Some vault that oft hath flung its black
And wingéd pannels fluttering back,
Triumphant, o’er the crested palls
Of her grand family funerals—

Some sepulchre, remote, alone,
Against whose portals she hath thrown,
In childhood, many an idle stone—
Some tomb from out whose sounding door
She ne’er shall force an echo more,
Thrilling to think, poor child of sin!
It was the dead who groaned within.

While drawing in class Stagwood School, 12-year old Cal sees frog staring him through the window. Stranger than that, fact that this frog happens wearing glasses.

Cal his best friend, Soy, learn that the frog sought them out reason. When school administrator Ream reveals himself dragon, boys discover fairytales real, there magic afoot Stagwood. Ream their tail, trio must unearth powerful tool protected riddles and rile save fate all fairytales past. before Cal defeat Ream, he deal with Soy's knack for arguing with magical creatures, discover truth about Deli's identity, earn place hero story. Guardians Lore middle grade novel centers around two life-long friends, infusing humor fantasy-based riddles into modern fairytale.

My condition has to respect me! It needs to keep up with where I’m going. If I wanna ride the big ferris wheel in town, I’m gonna do it. If I want to have Sam drive me on the highway at a hundred miles per hour, I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna drink and smoke and love and feel life to the fullest, until this thing decides to get tired or dies without me cause I refuse, I refuse to be slowed down or have my life cut short for some untreatable illness. I’m gonna fight this thing and bend it, twist it and turn it to my will and I am not going to bow down to it! You understand me Momma? I want to live! This is my life and I have to see as much of it as I can while I’m still breathing.
Hey! I am deaf but have only been learning asl for a few years....
My acting teacher wants me to sign this monologue and I am having a really hard time glossing this!
Any suggestions?

Back