hearing aids squeaks because of volume?

dhn121

Reaction score
Have anyone heard of that?

My son got his hearing aids turned up 10db maybe 3 weeks ago. I've been having problems with his hearing aids before because the ear mold cracked. She replaced it. Today I went in to see her, to get the attachment for the FM system (she ordered or Phonak sent the wrong part) and told her that my son's ear mold is making a lot of noise. She said it might be due to the fact that it's turned up too loud. Really? it's the feedback/squeaking sound, not voices. Have anyone had this problem? I don't get it. We got super hearing aids but you can't turn it up? We're coming back Friday to get both problems fixed. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone have heard of this?

I'm still so new at this and there's so much to learn...

Kids grow really fast. His mold might be too loose.

Well, maybe time for a new earmold. It happens to me when growing up. It screeches and gives annoying feedback when I smile or something.

no...these are new ear molds. It takes 2 weeks to make/mail (she got them to mail it directly to me). We got them 3 days ago. They squeak from day 1.

no...these are new ear molds. It takes 2 weeks to make/mail (she got them to mail it directly to me). We got them 3 days ago. They squeak from day 1.

She should remake them. Loose molds are why you get feedback.

She should remake them. Loose molds are why you get feedback.

:gpost: The moulds may have been ordered wrong, made wrong, damaged, or ordered with the previous volume of hte hearing aids in mind. When you turn the hearing aid up sometimes that means you need to make a mould with a smaller vent (if applicable), longer horn or softer material to make a tighter fit. The new mould may have worked with the old volume setting but not with this one, but it is because the mould is a bad match for the power not that the hearing aid is too loud!! :eek3::eek3:

Rose, you are an excellent addition to AllDeaf forums. Your knowledge, and ability to communicate it are excellent.

Wirelessly posted

yeah, it's an earmold issue. If the mold seals the ear you can't get feedback. BUT the higher it is set, the more likely you will hear the feedback, and the more often it will happen.

It also could be that since they are new earmolds, they are not fitting properly in the ear canal. New molds can be a tighter fit than the ones that were outgrown. As a result, the ear mold may not be in all the way. When my son was younger, I'd put the ear canal part in first, then twist it up to the top part of the ear. Oto ease may help get it in if you're still having a hard time. It's a lubricant type substance.

It also could be that since they are new earmolds, they are not fitting properly in the ear canal. New molds can be a tighter fit than the ones that were outgrown. As a result, the ear mold may not be in all the way. When my son was younger, I'd put the ear canal part in first, then twist it up to the top part of the ear. Oto ease may help get it in if you're still having a hard time. It's a lubricant type substance.

Good point too, I tend to forget that it takes time to learn. :)

I think the earmolds are pretty loose there girl!
I may need new earmolds when they're old like everyone here LOL :)

Yes, that's also possible. bad piece of earmold and should be remade. That happened to me before.

If our son lost any weight that would made his earmolds too lose. did you check to see if the tubing is ok, maybe the earmolds is not all the way in the ear? I had a tiny crack in my HA and that cause me get fed back.

These are new ear molds...just got them a few days ago.

his hearing loss is pretty bad. So there are no vents at all in his. When I told her about it. She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, I put them on wrong. Because she told me the helix are thiicker this time and I have to be more careful when putting them on. I thought...ok. maybe I did it wrong. I don't know. Took 3 steps and I heard it go off. She put them in, so I figure, surely she can't say they're put on wrong that's why they're going off. We walked back in and that's when she told me it's because we turned the volume of his hearing aids up that causes this.

I think I just need a new AuD. ordered the wrong reciever for the FM. 5 ear molds in 6 months. can't get a good audiogram (I have to go to my ENT to get the hearing test done).

A squeaking or squealing noise is usually the sign of an ill-fit or that they are not in his ear correctly. It usually happens when the aid gets bumped out of place or something like that.

I'm with everyone else. It sounds like a bad fit--yes, I know you said that they're brand new. When I first got my current hearing aids, I kept getting feedback too. They molded to my ear just fine, the issue was that they would not STAY in. Basically they kept sliding out. What my audiologist did was get another mold of my ear and ordered a clear piece that she attached onto the original mold to help it stay in my ear. I have a different type of mold though, so I don't think your audi can do that for you.

Because your son is wearing a full mold (I'm assuming) that fills the outside of his ear, maybe it's something with his ear canal. I have a somewhat small canal, and sometimes my hearing aids wouldn't stay in when I was younger.

Also, I don't think turning up your hearing aid would make it have feedback. Never heard of that before!

These are new ear molds...just got them a few days ago.

his hearing loss is pretty bad. So there are no vents at all in his. When I told her about it. She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, I put them on wrong. Because she told me the helix are thiicker this time and I have to be more careful when putting them on. I thought...ok. maybe I did it wrong. I don't know. Took 3 steps and I heard it go off. She put them in, so I figure, surely she can't say they're put on wrong that's why they're going off. We walked back in and that's when she told me it's because we turned the volume of his hearing aids up that causes this.

I think I just need a new AuD. ordered the wrong reciever for the FM. 5 ear molds in 6 months. can't get a good audiogram (I have to go to my ENT to get the hearing test done).

"She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, " WTF just because the AuD didn't hear any feed back that does not
mean you are wrong! I think you should find a new AuD , the old Audu does not sound very bright to made a statement like that! When I told my AuD my HA was driving people crazy as it feed backing a lot , my AuD did something about it!

So I went in today to get the feedback issue resolved. She told me the button for feedback reduction was somehow not activated? So I asked shouldn't that be automatic? Who wants feedback? She went on to a different subject. But maybe I'm not understanding all of this since I"m new to hearing aids. But why would that even be an option? Shouldn't the "whistleblock" be automatic and not an option? What are the reason why anyone would want to have that not checked?

anyways...was search to see if what she said about having the volume up too high might be a reason for feedback and found this to be interesting:

Feedback in hearing aids

There are a few things that can increase the chances of a hearing aid producing feedback:

The volume – The higher the aid’s volume is set, the louder the sound coming out of the speaker is. Louder sounds can travel further – increasing the chance of them feeding back into the microphone.

What can you do to reduce feedback?
Turning the volume down is an obvious solution...

Anyways she ran somekind of test with the loopthing around my son's neck for a few minutes and made some minor adjustments. No more noise/feedback. Hope she didn't turn down the volume :crazy:

"She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, " WTF just because the AuD didn't hear any feed back that does not
mean you are wrong! I think you should find a new AuD , the old Audu does not sound very bright to made a statement like that! When I told my AuD my HA was driving people crazy as it feed backing a lot , my AuD did something about it!

I guess I'm new to all of this and don't really know what is "normal".

BTW, can you hear feedback or is only the people around you that hears it? I was telling her how terrible I feel everytime I go to give him a hug or kiss and his hearing aids makes that noise. I have a girlfriend with an older child who tells me her son tells her he can't hear it? Seems kind of strange since it's right in your ear, no?

Back