California high court set to rule on same-sex marriage case

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeTahoe

Reaction score
California high court set to rule on same-sex marriage case

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A ruling on whether California should legalize same-sex marriage is expected Thursday from the state's supreme court.
art.gay.marriage.gi.jpg

California's supreme court is expected to rule Thursday on whether to legalize gay marriage.

The decision will be announced about 1 p.m. ET, according to the court's Web site.

Several gay and lesbian couples, along with the city of San Francisco and gay rights groups, had sued to overturn state laws allowing only marriages between a man and a woman.

If the state justices rule in favor of the plaintiffs, California would become the second state to allow same-sex couples to legally wed. Massachusetts adopted the practice in 2004, and gay couples don't need to be state residents to wed there.

Five other jurisdictions around the world have legalized same-sex marriage: Belgium, the Netherlands and the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.

San Francisco officials in 2004 allowed gay couples in the city to wed, prompting a flood of applicants crowding the city hall clerk's office. The first couple to wed then was 80-year-old Phyllis Lyon and 83-year-old Dorothy Martin, lovers for 50 years.

"We have a right just like anyone else to get married to the person we want to get married to," Lyon said at the time.
Don't Miss

* Hospital ratings set by gay-rights groups
* Lesbos ladies launch lesbian lawsuit

One issue before the justices is whether San Francisco's laws carried legal weight when the rest of the state banned gay marriages. Gay rights advocates argued the state was violating their civil rights by limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples. The state law in question is the Defense of Marriage Act, Proposition 22.

Oral arguments in the case in March lasted more than three hours, a sign of the political and legal issues at stake. Six separate cases were consolidated.

Groups saying they were promoting a pro-family agenda had vowed to fight a statewide law on same-sex marriage.

"The government should promote and encourage strong families," said Glen Lavy of the Alliance Defense Fund. "The voters realize that defining marriage as one man and one woman is important because the government should not, by design, deny a child both a mother and father."

Regardless of the ruling, an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court is likely. The justices have never addressed the question of same-sex marriage

Wow that's great news, hopefully they are successfully. California have the highest GLBT population, it would be great for those communities in California.

Is that similar story to it that I posted this morning?

Same Sex Marriage

Yes and no.

It's same issues. However, you, TakeTahoe gave the news that are vote and what would happen. So, CCfan gave one that after vote and been told what happen that has already pass.

For myself, I'm disappointment on vote. Oh well. Life goes on.

TakeTahoe? it should be LAKETAHOE...:)

Ahh ok I got it. Thanks! :thumb:

Yes and no.

It's same issues. However, you, TakeTahoe gave the news that are vote and what would happen. So, CCfan gave one that after vote and been told what happen that has already pass.

For myself, I'm disappointment on vote. Oh well. Life goes on.

Repost, LakeTahoe already posted it, you need reply her post.

Just ask mod to merge it.

Yup, congratulation to homosexual about overturn the gay marriage ban, however it would have vote in November but I'm really doubt about vote would pass to ban on gay marriage due higher percent of liberal in this state.

Family Council is just blah, also I want pull gay issue out of politic because of personal, I don't support to bring personal stuff to politic, such as congress, supreme court and others, and gay marriage should legal in over USA and keep other's business out.

Last edited:
Another nutty California court decision. :roll:

now, what can I do to get my cousin to have the same "marriage benefits" as married people? Seriously, you can't tell if people are marrying as lovers or as friends.

now, what can I do to get my cousin to have the same "marriage benefits" as married people? Seriously, you can't tell if people are marrying as lovers or as friends.

Straight couples can sneak like that too. :dunno:

I meant them too. although if they had sex just for one night, they could easily get pregnant without a third party.

Speaking of children, my aunt helped my other aunt, who was single, raised her son . They lived together for a long time.. but there were no benefits that would have made it easier on them.

Another nutty California court decision
Reba, a hundred years ago, people would have said the SAME thing about gay people or black people marrying.
There is NO reason whatsoever why GLB folks shouldn't be able to marry. You don't like it? GOOD! It doesn't even affect you!

Reba, a hundred years ago, people would have said the SAME thing about gay people or black people marrying.
There is NO reason whatsoever why GLB folks shouldn't be able to marry. You don't like it? GOOD! It doesn't even affect you!

:gpost:!!!

On next hundred years later, people would have said the SAME thing about animal and human begin marrying. I guess that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back