Student sets fire to himself at school :(

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This was horrible. The audios of the 911 calls were chilling.

We were just at that school, in the same parking lot, less than a week ago for an event there. I know a staff member there, and some students. What a terrible experience for them.

That's a horrendous way to die. My heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine their anguish. :(

The Post and Courier logo
Student set himself ablaze, police say, burns prove fatal
By David MacDougall, Andy Paras

People in the tightknit Academic Magnet High School-School of the Arts community were pulling together Thursday, coping with the trauma of a student who was engulfed in flames at the front entrance, a horrific spectacle witnessed by dozens.

Now they must deal with learning that the student has died, and that he set himself on fire in an apparent suicide.

Aaron Williams, 16, was pronounced dead at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta at 3:19 p.m. Thursday, Charleston County Deputy Coroner Brittney Martin said.

North Charleston police said earlier in the day that the student had poured an accelerant on his clothing and ignited the fire himself. The announcement confirmed what witnesses already knew and many people suspected.

Charleston County authorities released a 911 recording of the incident, which revealed that students used a fire extinguisher to douse their burning classmate as teachers then wrapped him with a blanket until authorities arrived.

School receptionist Dora Hartsell called 911 about 8:20 a.m. Wednesday and told a dispatcher that a student was on fire in front of the administration building. She then calmly gave the address of the North Charleston school.

"Did you say a child on fire," the dispatcher asked Hartsell.

Asked how the fire happened, Hartsell told the dispatcher she did not know. Hartsell initially thought the student was a female.

"A teacher has already gone outside and covered her with a blanket and students have gone out there with an extinguisher," Hartsell said. The call ends when police arrived.

Williams was rushed to Medical University Hospital and then flown to the burn unit in Augusta.

A crisis team of about 30 counselors was on the campus Wednesday and Thursday, said Lisa Herring, the district's executive director of student support services. On Thursday, the counselors went through both schools, going from class to class, speaking to all the students and teachers, encouraging them to talk about what happened and to ask for help if needed.

"Overall, they are doing very well," Herring said. Somewhere between 50 and 100 students requested counseling. School counselors were prepared to recommend additional therapy for those students who might need it, she said.

The crisis team will be on campus today also, Herring said. "And into next week if needed."

Counselors were to meet with parents at 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. today, according to a note sent home to parents.

Williams was described by many as a friendly kid who was affectionately known as "Boombox" or "The Boombox Guy" because he carried a boombox with him wherever he went. His Facebook profile picture was a drawing of a boombox with the saying, "A boombox can change the world."

Many students wore white to school Thursday as the result of a late-night campaign via texting and Facebook. Many more are expected to wear red today in support of Williams.

After news of Williams' death reached school officials, the district released the following statement from Superintendent Nancy McGinley.

"Losing a child is an unspeakable tragedy. On behalf of the entire Charleston County School District, I offer my deepest condolences to the Williams family. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers," McGinley wrote. "We pledge our full and continued support for the Academic Magnet and School of the Arts communities, and are here to provide them with whatever assistance they need during this incredibly difficult time."
Student set himself ablaze, police say, burns prove fatal | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

There had to be witnesses there that had to seen that and I wonder why someone didn't take him down immediately? My guess is the kids stood there gawking, some snickering and laughing. Some prolly wanted to watch him on fire just for shits and giggles. Others were prolly afraid to be on fire themselves should they tried to stop him, but that doesn't mean it excuses them from stopping him from trying to kill himself.

Yiz

There had to be witnesses there that had to seen that and I wonder why someone didn't take him down immediately? My guess is the kids stood there gawking, some snickering and laughing. Some prolly wanted to watch him on fire just for shits and giggles. Others were prolly afraid to be on fire themselves should they tried to stop him, but that doesn't mean it excuses them from stopping him from trying to kill himself.

Yiz

It's not everyday people set themselves on fire....and I'm sure these "kids" had no iota of what to do! I imagine a lot of screaming and panic going on....Even some adults would be at a loss as of what to do! Plus, whatever accelerant he used, the fire spread quickly.

Yiz
It was during school time, so most witnesses saw what happened from the windows while they were inside the buildings.

Some students took action:

"...students used a fire extinguisher to douse their burning classmate...."

I've been to that campus. It's huge, laid out more like a college campus.

Also, some of the 911 calls were from students.

On TV, they interviewed some of the students. They were all upset about what happened.

It's not everyday people set themselves on fire....and I'm sure these "kids" had no iota of what to do! I imagine a lot of screaming and panic going on....Even some adults would be at a loss as of what to do! Plus, whatever accelerant he used, the fire spread quickly.
Yes. Also, he started running immediately.

It was during school time, so most witnesses saw what happened from the windows while they were inside the buildings.

Some students took action:

"...students used a fire extinguisher to douse their burning classmate...."

I've been to that campus. It's huge, laid out more like a college campus.

Also, some of the 911 calls were from students.

On TV, they interviewed some of the students. They were all upset about what happened.

Ah ok, just wish they got to him much sooner.

Yiz

One classmate actually saw Williams on fire and tried to save him. She's not looking forward to going to class Friday.

"(Friday) is going to be a bad day, a very bad day because I have him in all of my classes," said classmate Donaija Smith. "It's like you sit next to him and you're sitting next to an empty seat and to know that person will never come back to sit with you or laugh with you or talk to you."

Smith, a junior at Academic Magnet High School says the whole school has been shaken up by the death of Williams.

"Academic Magnet is one big family," Smith said. "When one hurts, we all hurt, when one grieves, we all grieve. You go through the day and let each other know that we're all here for each other."

Smith says Williams wasn't a popular guy, but he was well known.

"The unique thing about him is he walked around with a boom box like an 80's boom box and he'd have it on his shoulder and play like various types of music and blast it when we change classes and you'd just look at him like oh my god and laugh and smile," Smith said.
Students try to cope with tragic loss of classmate - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

What a horrible, traumatizing experience. My heart goes out to students and staff, and the family of the deceased. Thank goodness the crisis response team is there.

This was horrible. The audios of the 911 calls were chilling.

We were just at that school, in the same parking lot, less than a week ago for an event there. I know a staff member there, and some students. What a terrible experience for them.

That's a horrendous way to die. My heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine their anguish. :(

Student set himself ablaze, police say, burns prove fatal | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

I must say I'm with you on this one. It's a brutal way to die and I have no doubt that the witnesses will need counseling for quite a while after that. My heart goes out to their families and the dead student's family.

I must say I'm with you on this one. It's a brutal way to die and I have no doubt that the witnesses will need counseling for quite a while after that. My heart goes out to their families and the dead student's family.

It is pretty sad, but I'm sure there is a need for counseling across the board. Ach.

How horrible! I am at loss for words.

That's sad. You would thing that Boombox would have exhibited some signs of depression. But then again not every person presents the signs and symptoms the same way. Maybe he was able to hide behind his boombox?

My older grandson told me today that some of the kids at his school knew Aaron. They said that he gave no indication of being depressed or upset.

Yiz

I doubt you can do anything about it except stand and watch it in horror with great disbelief. I doubt this is something ANYBODY can help except a sick killer.

My grandson also told me that when he arrived at school this morning (Friday), several of his classmates were upset and crying. He found out that a student from his high school hanged himself last night! He didn't personally know the student but it was still upsetting.

Back