Deaf man surprised

This fantasy can become reality if you have a neighborhood/town built and populated with deaf people. Why is it that Christians have a "home area," Muslims do, too? Why Russians, Cosaks, everyone else but Deaf people? The Deaf do not have a single town/city/enclave built to accommodate this group in entirety.

That ad is awesome. <3 Samsung for that, totally great way to advertise. It really shows how people can care too, once they're informed.

This fantasy can become reality if you have a neighborhood/town built and populated with deaf people. Why is it that Christians have a "home area," Muslims do, too? Why Russians, Cosaks, everyone else but Deaf people? The Deaf do not have a single town/city/enclave built to accommodate this group in entirety.
Someone tried to make this happen not so long ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent,_South_Dakota

His ideas were lofty though; an entire city. I think starting with a neighborhood would be a more realistic approach. Clustering to a given area. It's how other minority cultures have done it in the past.

I don't think there are other examples like Laurent, where a minority culture tried to start their own city with a non-English language being the dominant language. We definitely do have minority language concentrations in areas in the US though, it's just typically more organic than that.

that would not be good idea

Mark my words:

You will forever be like an immigrant, a stranger in your own country, with no place to call your own. You cannot understand what the majority of the people say. This is very disempowering. You end up going underground, like I did.

The closest you will find to a 'deaf community' like mentioned above I think would be Martha's Vineyard though there are hearing mixed into it- but most know some degree of sign language.

Because of the ever growing mobility and technology (i.e. video, text, internet) of the world there's less of 'pockets' of deaf communities where you'll see a small concentration of deaf people within walking distance or at least short car ride distances.

But the story was about a deaf man who woke up one morning and all the hearing people he encounters on a daily basis communicated with him in his language, Sign Language. It is not about the Deaf isolating themselves behind locked gates and living in their own world, or creating their own town or city with nohearing people. I get that many Deaf people wish that most hearing people would drop dead and get out of the way. That is not what this story was about. It was about hearing people having respect for Deaf people and learning how to communicate in the native language of the Deaf person.

This fantasy can become reality if you have a neighborhood/town built and populated with deaf people. Why is it that Christians have a "home area," Muslims do, too?

I'm curious--where is this Christian "home area?"

Why Russians, Cosaks, everyone else but Deaf people? The Deaf do not have a single town/city/enclave built to accommodate this group in entirety.
One reason is that Russians are born to Russians, so each subsequent generation after another continues to populate the area.

Most deaf children are born to hearing parents and then have hearing children, so that generational continuity isn't there, except for a small percentage of hereditary deaf families.

Deaf people are free to set up their own community now, if they want to. But does every deaf person want to live in the same climate, same type of community (urban/suburban/rural), and have job opportunities limited by geography?

I hope that the people of that community continue signing and not let it become a one-day special occasion.

Back