Is it part of deaf discrimination?

Mabbit

Reaction score
Okay let me tell you a summary of what's going on.

I was applying for jobs. One company emailed me that they are interested in me and offered me for phone interview. We made an appointment for phone interview on Tuesday. Also Rachel (fake name) informed me that there's other person will do the phone interview work and her name is Jessica (fake name). Rachel isn't responsible for phone interview.

After phone interview, Jessica discovered that I'm deaf via videophone which I'm okay with that because I have a lot of good experiences for that position.

Jess informed me that she will email me that week Friday or next week to see if I will get a job. She also claimed that if those people who applied for that position (I'm not only one) will still get email to inform them (me) that we aren't qualified or find someone's better qualify for the position than us.

Right now, It's been over a week and 4 days since I hasn't heard from Jessica. It's overdue.

I don't have Jessica's email so I followed up to Rachel to let her know that I'm still interested in that position. Rachel responded me fast and thanks me for following up and will forward my email to Jessica.

FYI, Rachel didn't know I'm deaf.

Now I waited for good extra 3 days. Jessica didn't response me back at all.

It's already been two weeks which is already overdue to info me if I get a job or not.

so my question is.. is it deaf discrimination if I don't hear response from her even tho she claimed to tell me that she will info me if I GET or NOT getting that job position?

Welcome to the job market.

Happens to everyone, including hearing people.

Not everyone has the 'common sense' of contacting the interviewee after the interview on if they do get the job or not.

I have been on many job interviews over the years. Of them, only 2 of them sent me a message, one sent a phone message and the other sent me a letter via mail explaining I didn't get the job. I sent a letter to both, thanking them for the chance of being interview and hopefully when another position opens, they might look me up.

The other Interviewers I never heard from again.

But look at things in perspective of a 'recruiter', their job is to screen people for jobs they need. They go through hundreds of applicants. When they finally find the one they need. The idea of messaging everyone they interviewed, will seem daunting.

Just keep your head up high, and keep job searching.

Just because she didn't reply doesn't mean it's discrimination.

Have you tried contacting Rachel again and tell her that you haven't heard from Jessica.

It here anyway you can talk to the person at their office? Was there a reason you had a phone interview and not in person? This does happen to all the time.

I don't like or agree with phone interviews they unfair but I am old fashioned

Welcome to the job market.

Happens to everyone, including hearing people.

Not everyone has the 'common sense' of contacting the interviewee after the interview on if they do get the job or not.

I have been on many job interviews over the years. Of them, only 2 of them sent me a message, one sent a phone message and the other sent me a letter via mail explaining I didn't get the job. I sent a letter to both, thanking them for the chance of being interview and hopefully when another position opens, they might look me up.

The other Interviewers I never heard from again.

But look at things in perspective of a 'recruiter', their job is to screen people for jobs they need. They go through hundreds of applicants. When they finally find the one they need. The idea of messaging everyone they interviewed, will seem daunting.

Just keep your head up high, and keep job searching.

Well I can understand how it works, I have been looking for job(s) for few months and experienced like that. However, this situation Jessica mentioned that SHE WILL contact me to info me if I will get a job position or not. Then never response back so.

I never experienced going through deaf discrimination with evidences before so that's why I'm here to ask to see if it is part of it.

Just because she didn't reply doesn't mean it's discrimination.

Have you tried contacting Rachel again and tell her that you haven't heard from Jessica.

Yes, already did and will have to wait till Monday for Rachel to response back.

It here anyway you can talk to the person at their office? Was there a reason you had a phone interview and not in person? This does happen to all the time.

Well lately I started to notice no one have face-to-face interviews at their offices anymore. It's all phone interview now even tho that job that I applied is only 10 minutes away from my location.

It's like apartment complexes around here, if you don't pay monthly rent via internet, you are out no exceptions. Same concept to companies, they want you to apply job online and phone interview no exceptions.

From my experiences, 5 out of 5 interviews were via phone calls.

I don't like or agree with phone interviews they unfair but I am old fashioned

Your point is......?

Before computer was invented, most/some people wouldn't like it because they are "old fashioned." Guess what? Almost everyone have computers in their apartment/houses.

Whatever traditional isn't traditional anymore. Face-to-face interview is out of dated. So get to used to it.

The unfortunate part of discrimination is having to prove it's discrimination. If that person hates you or doesn't want you there just because you're Deaf, you're going to have to prove that right there was in their mind when they decided not to hire you. Of course, when asked they're going to say they had a more qualified candidate or whatever, they're not going to SAY that they discriminated against you. So, again we go full circle around to proving it. Discrimination is incredibly hard to prove... also, it costs lots of money and fancy lawyers to do so most of the time. Welcome to the real world, we're discriminated against all the time sadly, all you can do is move on and keep your head up... thing will look up for you eventually, I'm sure. :)

The unfortunate part of discrimination is having to prove it's discrimination. If that person hates you or doesn't want you there just because you're Deaf, you're going to have to prove that right there was in their mind when they decided not to hire you. Of course, when asked they're going to say they had a more qualified candidate or whatever, they're not going to SAY that they discriminated against you. So, again we go full circle around to proving it. Discrimination is incredibly hard to prove... also, it costs lots of money and fancy lawyers to do so most of the time. Welcome to the real world, we're discriminated against all the time sadly, all you can do is move on and keep your head up... thing will look up for you eventually, I'm sure. :)

I have a lawyer friend and she is willing to help me to fill lawsuit if there's deaf discrimination. However, I had a chat with her today about my situation. She said I have no chance to fill lawsuit anyway. Unless Rachel response back next week with negative comments related to deafness then I can fill lawsuit.

Yea I know what you mean, I have seen signs like you mentioned from the employees so I'll have to keep trying to find someone who is open-mind for hiring deaf employees.

Have you/ can you go there in person?

Reread what I typed.

Its hard to prove. You would have to have conversation recorded with thier knowledge so their reactions is on tape. Your gut feeling is most likely right that its a deaf discrimination, but you need to prove they hired someone else over you because you are deaf and that is tough. Trust me. I been there and done that. I had great interview when I called them and they didnt know I was deaf since I was using VCO and relay was not annouced. when they wanted to know the best way to contact me , the relay hear clearly that their tone changed when I said dont worry - just call my relay number for deaf - ill answer just like I am talking to them. I even saw relay "follow the interviewer" stuttering or at loss for words for a moment and it was clear right there. But CAN YOU PROVE THAT to a lawyer?! how?! you are in the same boat .. even without VCO.

Its hard to prove. You would have to have conversation recorded with thier knowledge so their reactions is on tape. Your gut feeling is most likely right that its a deaf discrimination, but you need to prove they hired someone else over you because you are deaf and that is tough. Trust me. I been there and done that. I had great interview when I called them and they didnt know I was deaf since I was using VCO and relay was not annouced. when they wanted to know the best way to contact me , the relay hear clearly that their tone changed when I said dont worry - just call my relay number for deaf - ill answer just like I am talking to them. I even saw relay "follow the interviewer" stuttering or at loss for words for a moment and it was clear right there. But CAN YOU PROVE THAT to a lawyer?! how?! you are in the same boat .. even without VCO.

It's a shame. Why are people so scared of deaf people? Ignorance!

I had the same thing. I got a call via relay from a job interviewer. She paused when she found out it was relay and asked me if I wanted to come in for an interivew. I thought it was odd but didn't think of it until I didn't get the job that's when I realized her initial reaction explained it. The interview went very well I thought but no dice. Oh well.

However, this situation Jessica mentioned that SHE WILL contact me to info me if I will get a job position or not.

Hence the point of what I am saying. They can say 'they will call you.' But 9 times out of 10, they don't. Not every Interviewer has common sense. Not every Interviewer is professional.

The professional way, would be as you stated. They would call you or email you and say 'Thanks for coming in, but sorry to say we hired another candidate'.

I reread it, is there anything stopping you besides your perception of what is norm? From my experience going in person to follow up shows initiative and gets the job. Good luck Mabbit.

The biggest complaint I hear from all my children about job interviews is that they very rarely hear back from anybody after the interview. It's very frustrating especially if they were told they would hear something from somebody. Unless there's further interest from the company, it's seems to be normal business practice for most companies to never communicate any more. Sad that they feel it unnecessary to show common courtesy to job seekers.

Whether there's discrimination in this case is impossible to tell without a lot more facts most of which are likely to never be known because a person has a hard time proving discrimination in a case like this unless the company was stupid enough to say it's because you're Deaf, but otherwise qualified.

It's a shame. Why are people so scared of deaf people? Ignorance!

I had the same thing. I got a call via relay from a job interviewer. She paused when she found out it was relay and asked me if I wanted to come in for an interivew. I thought it was odd but didn't think of it until I didn't get the job that's when I realized her initial reaction explained it. The interview went very well I thought but no dice. Oh well.

katie_leclerc_a_p.jpg

:Ohno: :roll:

I have a lawyer friend and she is willing to help me to fill lawsuit if there's deaf discrimination. However, I had a chat with her today about my situation. She said I have no chance to fill lawsuit anyway. Unless Rachel response back next week with negative comments related to deafness then I can fill lawsuit.

Yea I know what you mean, I have seen signs like you mentioned from the employees so I'll have to keep trying to find someone who is open-mind for hiring deaf employees.

Reread what I typed.

If the negative comments are not in some form of print it's going to be hard to prove they where said.

Back