Is it part of deaf discrimination?

IMO what you're experiencing isn't discrimination but common recruiter brush-offs. Like others have mentioned, they deal with hundreds of people and they just simply don't have the time to reply to every single person.

It's not quite proper etiquette but it is what it is. Just keep up with the job hunting, not everyone company is going to be nice and you can say it's a mixed blessing. If they don't treat people well then you don't want to work there anyway.

I don't like or agree with phone interviews they unfair but I am old fashioned

If the interview is held at an office you are able to see the person and you can get a better idea what they're thinking about you. I really don't think much of people if can't they interview a person face to face.

katie_leclerc_a_p.jpg

:Ohno: :roll:

whos' that?

Its hard to prove. You would have to have conversation recorded with thier knowledge so their reactions is on tape. Your gut feeling is most likely right that its a deaf discrimination, but you need to prove they hired someone else over you because you are deaf and that is tough. Trust me. I been there and done that. I had great interview when I called them and they didnt know I was deaf since I was using VCO and relay was not annouced. when they wanted to know the best way to contact me , the relay hear clearly that their tone changed when I said dont worry - just call my relay number for deaf - ill answer just like I am talking to them. I even saw relay "follow the interviewer" stuttering or at loss for words for a moment and it was clear right there. But CAN YOU PROVE THAT to a lawyer?! how?! you are in the same boat .. even without VCO.

indeed, that's the hardest part, need something very clear, and concrete...BOTH see through and see IT....a kind of quality that the "argument can be as no two ways about it"

I was told businesses get a tax break if they hire a person that hoh or deaf .This was years ago so I am not sure if it's still true. Has anyone else heard of this ??

I was told businesses get a tax break if they hire a person that hoh or deaf .This was years ago so I am not sure if it's still true. Has anyone else heard of this ??

Typical interview questions.

Interviewer: "Tell me why we should hire you?"

Deaf: "You get tax break. I help your business save some money." :D

Good question. I am pretty sure that's still going on.

That's true however, they're lazy to doing the tax stuff. Unless, they have good CPA service. tee-hee

I was center for deaf and hoh years ago trying to see about training to be a chef . I would had to cook a lot of meat and I was not eating meat then . The woman told the businesses get a tax break for hiring deaf and hoh people. This was over 40 years ago, damn that made me feel old .

yep.. I am experiencing everything during this job hunting.

The last time I was out of work for this long, I didn't have or use VRS or have a cell phone voice plan (not even a pager at the time)... so struggled a HUGE amount using the house landline phone. Amazingly (?!!) almost all of the jobs I've had I was hired after a phone interview (several were group conference calls too).

Yes, one can go to the office but that is fast becoming obsolete. More so in the IT market because recruiters are ALL over the country and their company has contracts with whatever client-- (for example ABC Consulting have MCI, BCBS, Voodoo Software for clients) so its impossible to go into the office unless you are very very lucky to have the corporate "Recruiter Central" Office in a city near you. I've done the "I'm willing to come in for a chat rather than telephone" bit and some recruiters are more than happy to accommodate that.

Now? Pretty much the same except that now I use VRS and my cellphone though I'm finding that my speech discrimination sucks big time and don't do well with ANY kind of direct telephone conversation anymore.. barely unless I get lucky and have someone I can understand well (women and those with higher pitched voices in a certain range)... so.. VRS it is. Some people seem to be okay with VRS others are a little...taken aback I think.

The email /response.. yes sadly that's common. I've talked to many recruiters who would promise to get back to me (either after submitting my resume or after I've done an interview with the client) and 99% of the time I never hear back unless I actually email them to ASK (that goes for both contract jobs and perm jobs).

All I want to do is work. Hire me damnit! I've got the skills and the experience! Don't pass me by because of a stupid gap...

That explains absolutely nothing. :roll:

I agree with Manga.... MOST Deaf people actually do not need a terp... We're quite capable of getting along just fine day to day without one. What do you think, we all keep a terp with us in our pockets otherwise we are lost little Deafies?! So basically, none of us work unless we have a terp...? :roll: Oh hold on person talking to me, let me dig around in my purse and find my pocket terp before you start talking, I just can't understand a damn thing you say without her! :roll:

Yes, I believe they still get a decent tax break on hiring anyone with something the government views as a "disability" these days. Basically, if someone hires someone with a "disability" full time that is... the government will not have to pay them ( at least as much ) or if at all in disability ( depending on the individual circumstance, each case is different ) so, that business is given a break for that... from what I understand. That is my understanding of how it works, anyway. I don't believe it's a GIANT huge break or anything like that... but the more they hire... you know. :dunno:

Okay let me tell you a summary of what's going on.

I was applying for jobs. One company emailed me that they are interested in me and offered me for phone interview. We made an appointment for phone interview on Tuesday. Also Rachel (fake name) informed me that there's other person will do the phone interview work and her name is Jessica (fake name). Rachel isn't responsible for phone interview.

After phone interview, Jessica discovered that I'm deaf via videophone which I'm okay with that because I have a lot of good experiences for that position.

Jess informed me that she will email me that week Friday or next week to see if I will get a job. She also claimed that if those people who applied for that position (I'm not only one) will still get email to inform them (me) that we aren't qualified or find someone's better qualify for the position than us.

Right now, It's been over a week and 4 days since I hasn't heard from Jessica. It's overdue.

I don't have Jessica's email so I followed up to Rachel to let her know that I'm still interested in that position. Rachel responded me fast and thanks me for following up and will forward my email to Jessica.

FYI, Rachel didn't know I'm deaf.

Now I waited for good extra 3 days. Jessica didn't response me back at all.

It's already been two weeks which is already overdue to info me if I get a job or not.

so my question is.. is it deaf discrimination if I don't hear response from her even tho she claimed to tell me that she will info me if I GET or NOT getting that job position?

Happens all the time to hearing people as well, even if they said they will contact you to let you know either way, unfortunately! I just move on!
I do agree it would be nice for to be told but it just doesn't happen!

Yes, I believe they still get a decent tax break on hiring anyone with something the government views as a "disability" these days. Basically, if someone hires someone with a "disability" full time that is... the government will not have to pay them ( at least as much ) or if at all in disability ( depending on the individual circumstance, each case is different ) so, that business is given a break for that... from what I understand. That is my understanding of how it works, anyway. I don't believe it's a GIANT huge break or anything like that... but the more they hire... you know. :dunno:
I think a company that provides an interpreter for deaf applicants during job interviews, and for deaf employees during staff meetings, official discussions, trainings, etc can write it off (tax write-off) as an expense. Probably that's about it.

Well I can understand how it works, I have been looking for job(s) for few months and experienced like that. However, this situation Jessica mentioned that SHE WILL contact me to info me if I will get a job position or not. Then never response back so.

I never experienced going through deaf discrimination with evidences before so that's why I'm here to ask to see if it is part of it.

Yes, already did and will have to wait till Monday for Rachel to response back.

no can do...I may be old fashioned wanting to have eye contact if deaf even better...what in gods name is wrong with that
Well lately I started to notice no one have face-to-face interviews at their offices anymore. It's all phone interview now even tho that job that I applied is only 10 minutes away from my location.

It's like apartment complexes around here, if you don't pay monthly rent via internet, you are out no exceptions. Same concept to companies, they want you to apply job online and phone interview no exceptions.

From my experiences, 5 out of 5 interviews were via phone calls.

Your point is......?

Before computer was invented, most/some people wouldn't like it because they are "old fashioned." Guess what? Almost everyone have computers in their apartment/houses.

Whatever traditional isn't traditional anymore. Face-to-face interview is out of dated. So get to used to it.

what is wrong with eye contact if deaf even better...I will and refuse to accept it

Roots of unemployment in the D/deaf & HH population.

*FACEPALM* Are you really that naive? Anyone can start up blogs, Twitter accounts, and Facebook webpages. Just because the blogger, Sarah Terras, claims that the refusal to hire D/deaf and hard-of-hearing employees are rooted in the fact that there are interpreter expenses, difficulty with communication, and the "telephone culture" doesn't mean it is necessarily true for all employers. Nor does it mean that Terras is a qualified source of factual information. Terras is exaggerating here. Did you notice that she didn't even cite empirical studies, hard statistics or actual research? With that said, her fundamental arguments are based on personal opinions only and therefore remain invalid as is.

I am profoundly deaf and yet I have worked in an all-hearing company for the past year and half. Interpreters are provided for conferences or full department meetings, yes, but other than that I do just fine day in and day out. I communicate with my supervisor and my co-workers through text, e-mail, instant message, the use of pen and paper, the Notes app on the iPhone, the laptop, and the whiteboard with color markers. Some of my co-workers even took the time to learn signs just to interact with me. My supervisor even had me train the management on awareness of the Deaf culture shortly after I joined the team. I'll be damned if that isn't an employer who is open to the Deaf culture.

And may I add, that most of my professional history has been with hearing employers--all except one (an all-deaf corporation) were hearing. Employer discrimination in this case comes from the lack of awareness on the Deaf culture and the Deaf community and the lack of knowledge on accurate information, yes, but it is not as bleak or widespread as Terras claims.

*FACEPALM* Are you really that naive? Anyone can start up blogs, Twitter accounts, and Facebook webpages. Just because the blogger, Sarah Terras, claims that the refusal to hire D/deaf and hard-of-hearing employees are rooted in the fact that there are interpreter expenses, difficulty with communication, and the "telephone culture" doesn't mean it is necessarily true for all employers. Nor does it mean that Terras is a qualified source of factual information. Terras is exaggerating here. Did you notice that she didn't even cite empirical studies, hard statistics or actual research? With that said, her fundamental arguments are based on personal opinions only and therefore remain invalid as is.

I am profoundly deaf and yet I have worked in an all-hearing company for the past year and half. Interpreters are provided for conferences or full department meetings, yes, but other than that I do just fine day in and day out. I communicate with my supervisor and my co-workers through text, e-mail, instant message, the use of pen and paper, the Notes app on the iPhone, the laptop, and the whiteboard with color markers. Some of my co-workers even took the time to learn signs just to interact with me. My supervisor even had me train the management on awareness of the Deaf culture shortly after I joined the team. I'll be damned if that isn't an employer who is open to the Deaf culture.

And may I add, that most of my professional history has been with hearing employers--all except one (an all-deaf corporation) were hearing. Employer discrimination in this case comes from the lack of awareness on the Deaf culture and the Deaf community and the lack of knowledge on accurate information, yes, but it is not as bleak or widespread as Terras claims.

Just Curious.. is it worth buying this ebook??

Well lately I started to notice no one have face-to-face interviews at their offices anymore. It's all phone interview now even tho that job that I applied is only 10 minutes away from my location.

It's like apartment complexes around here, if you don't pay monthly rent via internet, you are out no exceptions. Same concept to companies, they want you to apply job online and phone interview no exceptions.

Whatever traditional isn't traditional anymore. Face-to-face interview is out of dated. So get to used to it.

You couldn't be more wrong... It's not "outdated." It is about money. And about being careless about the quality of the candidate for the job. They don't catch the ones who are VERY GOOD about lying/making up stuff because they can't see the body language that gives them away, you can't see how they dress and carry themselves as a person, and you can't get a "feel" for the person in front of you. Companies, being extremely western, have no connection at all with Inner Science, knowing the self. This is very short-sighted on their part. Just watch.

I couldn't have got out of the Western workforce at a better time.

Back