Buried of Cremated?

Grummer

Reaction score
Two questions;

A) When you die how do you want to go? if you could (AND DONT GET INTO religious fights!) state your religion is this a reason for your choice, also if you could, say why do you prefer your choice if this is not church related.

B) Are you aware of 'green funerals' or does your Funeral director(s) in your town use liquid nitrogen? do they insist on cremation before casket option?
if you dont know the second question, dont answer- just leave it out, it is only optional as I doubt many people would be able to answer this.

Looking forward to see the results and no im not researching, this thread is just purely out of my curiousity although I Am studying Death and Dying, i only just so happen to thought its a good topic, but so please avoid any religious debates, this is NOT intended OK
so be mature about it OK folks.

Let me begin with myself, I honest dont know what I'd want but I guess I'd prefer to be cremated go in the urn for some time until the loved one decided where to sprinkle my ashes, probably at a place of significance. Why? because I think in this way it is better for their grieving process since 'holding on' for a length of time gives reason to know when to 'let go' and thus sprinkle the ashes, be it at the river, or over a new garden or whatever.
and as for second question, I am aware of it, I guess I could ask around to find out btu right now I dont have time. But i do know it doesnt 'really' exist here in the town which i live,since i have been to a number of funerals in recents years , up on recall I found it to still be fairly conservative traditional in the ways they organise it. Indeed, cremation is quite common -probably as much as burial. I dont think they are aware of 'greening' the rites.

Last edited:
I know it is scary to think about it that i plan to be cremated. people can have more grasses/lands. Hope someone will pour/sprinkles my ashes into the ocean in long island.

Last edited:
I wake up and see this...lol

I want to be either cremated or dropped in the ocean. Why? That way I go back to the earth faster.
I'm a pagan but my choice isn't influenced by it.

As for number 2 I have no clue.

We (my wife and I) discussed this before and we both prefer cremation. The reason for that is to save the lands and spaces. Also it's a simple process. Now as far as where to put it. When I asked her and she said that she wasn't sure but from knowing her I do know where to put it because of her repeated past memory of how much it impacted her. It require a significant travel time but I'm willing to do it. But the only problem men tend to die first before women. So, I added to the Will so that way one of our children willing to do it for her. Same goes for my wife, I put it in the Will of where I like my soul in place. She may not know where I like to be in but I can let her decided, if she's not sure of where to put it, then she will follow my Will.

My husband wanted to be cremated. Since our religion prefers the body to be at the funeral, I rented a casket for the viewing & the funeral. After the funeral his body was taken to be cremated. Since this was in the fall and my daughter needed to be back in FL for work, we waited till spring to bury his ashes (in my plot which my parents had bought when they bought theirs - I wasn't married at the time). Our cemetery allows a casket and up to 2 cremated remains (in appropriate containers) or 3 cremated remains in a single plot.
I think I prefer to be buried in a casket, but I told my girls it was up to them as I won't be here to care.
As far as I'm concerned, funerals are for the survivors, but, if someone has preferences, try to honor them.

Hubby and I are born again Christians and members of an independent Baptist church. Our religion doesn't prohibit cremation but burial is preferred.

We both prefer traditional burial. Years ago we bought and paid for our plots.

My parents were cremated. My dad's remains are buried in the same plot as his mother's cremated remains (actually, he died first). My mom's remains are in an urn on a shelf in my brother's house, with his Star Trek action figures and collectibles. My stepdad's cremated remains were buried under a bird bath in the backyard of a house rented by his daughter.

I visit cemeteries in my home state to gather genealogical information, and because they are historically interesting. Even ancestors who were lost at sea have tombstones/grave markers with their personal information even though there are no bodies buried there. There is a lot of interesting information there. It's kind of cool to see a tangible connection to the past. It's also very touching to see all the Flags on the graves of veterans on Memorial Day. It's a reminder of how many people have died their country over the generations, and how they came from every part of our country.

My viewpoint is that cemeteries are peaceful green space. I really don't believe our planet will run out of living area just because of cemeteries.

Cremate me! Spread my ashes in the Gulf. I do not want my family's last image of me be laying in a casket dead..To me that is traumatizing. Plus funeral, casket, and burial plots are more expensive. I want them to celebrate life with lots of food and the wonderful memories they had of me.

Last edited:
Cremation, absolutely! I do not wish to be buried into that cold, hard ground. And will request "no funeral", just cremation immediately after death. My ashes to be thrown into the winds at my favorite Beach, where I lived for 5 years and was most happy....I'll fly free, being the free spirit that I am.

Cremated, definitely!

My gf was a mortician... let's just say that after hearing about her old job, it makes me very secure about my choice in being cremated instead of buried!!!

I hated going to funerals of my grandparents and seeing open caskets. It was just very disturbing. Especially when it is very traditional to kiss the bodies in my family.

As for the "green" way of being cremated, wow never heard of it until now. Just googled it. It sounds pretty damn cool actually. I wouldn't mind doing that!!!

Cremated, definitely!

My gf was a mortician... let's just say that after hearing about her old job, it makes me very secure about my choice in being cremated instead of buried!!!

I hated going to funerals of my grandparents and seeing open caskets. It was just very disturbing. Especially when it is very traditional to kiss the bodies in my family.

As for the "green" way of being cremated, wow never heard of it until now. Just googled it. It sounds pretty damn cool actually. I wouldn't mind doing that!!!

OH have you ever visited funeral where mortician works before? I did! i went in the basement that keeps chilly and mortician showed me around and saw the corpse but it was covered for the privacy purpose. It is so fascinating to see how mortician did to the corpses.

Two questions;

A) When you die how do you want to go? if you could (AND DONT GET INTO religious fights!) state your religion is this a reason for your choice, also if you could, say why do you prefer your choice if this is not church related.

B) Are you aware of 'green funerals' or does your Funeral director(s) in your town use liquid nitrogen? do they insist on cremation before casket option?
if you dont know the second question, dont answer- just leave it out, it is only optional as I doubt many people would be able to answer this.

neither, I want to be put in a spaceship and sent into outer space on an endless journey! :P
chance of that happening by 2100? hope so...

OH have you ever visited funeral where mortician works before? I did! i went in the basement that keeps chilly and mortician showed me around and saw the corpse but it was covered for the privacy purpose. It is so fascinating to see how mortician did to the corpses.

Nope. She didn't work there anymore when we met. I'd like to check out where a mortician works.

cremated... for a few reasons actually....

I know that I would be gone by then but still I'm claustrophobic alive, I couldn't see myself in a casket. And all those buried alive movies just about killed any chances of me wanting to be buried even if I was gone.

It just makes since to me, to be cremated, and for my ashes to be sprinkled somewhere like the ocean or something.

What does she do now? I know you did not have a weak stomach so you should visit. It is very interesting!

Paint. lol.... economy is not so great!

She worked as vet's assistant for a while, but painting actually pays a lot more and is a lot less stressful.

She might get back into the mortician scene though. It pays a lot, but 1 problem: it is not a 9-5 job, you're always on call. Those decomposing bodies can't wait!

Have a deaf friend who worked in autopsy at a hospital....Jeez, some of the things he told me....Not for the faint-hearted or those who have queezy stomachs!...That's one job I would never have....

Paint. lol.... economy is not so great!

She worked as vet's assistant for a while, but painting actually pays a lot more and is a lot less stressful.

She might get back into the mortician scene though. It pays a lot, but 1 problem: it is not a 9-5 job, you're always on call. Those decomposing bodies can't wait!

Wow That is a tough job!! I agree about finding a job that pays good and 9 - 5. oh boy!!

Cremated but they gotta make sure that I am really dead first! I like the idea of my ashes scattered - maybe up in the mountains. I will have to find out if it is legal to scatter ashes in the mountains. Yes, I like the idea of me being free to roam after a lifetime of limitations placed by the hearing world. On the diabolical side, I get to annoy hearing people for a change by making them sneeze, poke them in the eye or something like that.

I just googled the liquid nitrogen. I will have to think about it some more. If there is no downside of the liquid nitrogen, I might switch to that.

Just to let you know that in the ancient Israel, they buried their deads in the tombs. When the body turned to bones, they would gather the bones and put them in the repository in the tomb - usually under the shelf where the body was laid. Much later on, they stopped using the repository and started using the ossuaries. They would put the bones in a small box (ossuary) and the ossuary would be decorated and might have name inscribed on it. It makes sense for them to use the tombs in the rocky hills as they need the good land for the farming.

Cremate! Better for earth. Actually no, donate body to science, then cremate. Might well let med students practice take my appendix out.

My family is Jewish and my dad wanted to be cremated but my mother had him buried. When my mom dies she wanted to be buried in a red dress , but that was not allowed in a Jewish burial . So we had to the red dress put in my mom coffin and we where told when she got to heaven she could put her red dress on. I am going to cremated and have my ashes mix with Finlay and Marty and taken Finlay and my favorite park. My mom had to be buried in a white shroud. We knew this but we where hoping our mother last wish would had be granted.

Back