florida deaf community?

ASLstudent

Reaction score
i heard from someone that there is a big deaf community in florida. does anyone know anything about that, like where, or if it's even true???

ASLstudent said:
i heard from someone that there is a big deaf community in florida. does anyone know anything about that, like where, or if it's even true???

I think you are talking about St. Petersburg Community College.
It was formerly known as St. Petersburg Junior College.

http://www.spjc.edu/

I am aware of at least part of the answer to ASL Student's question re: the "big deaf community in Florida" : There are many retirees there. As for the rest, dunno...

I am from Florida myself, and I am a student at SPC (St. Petersburg College). Anyway, to anwer your question, YES! There are thousands of deaf people here in Florida. Many of them are in Tampa/St. Petersburg, Orlando, and Miami area. High numbers of deaf people also exist in Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Fort Myers. There are also small numbers of deaf people all over the state of Florida. Hope that answer your question!

FitnessGuru said:
I think you are talking about St. Petersburg Community College.
It was formerly known as St. Petersburg Junior College.

http://www.spjc.edu/

It's not St. Petersburg Community College...

It's St. Petersburg College. SPC was a community college until last year when they had a lot of students and new four-years B.A. degree programs so they can't be a community college anymore. SPC is offically a college now.

Hello

Hello everyone. I have been searching all over. Kind of new in Florida. If anyone point way can be glad. Want to meet other deaf people close by at least. So, let me know if anyone know. Thank you very much

wolfleopard

I'm from Florida, too .. welcome! I moved to Florida several years ago. I'm still bit "new" here, too.

From what I was told that Tampa Bay area (Tampa, STP, and Clearwater) may be the largest deaf community in the state of Florida. I still believe so.

VP Directory should show you that there is a large deaf community in FL. Though not all registered on vp directory but in general speaking. FL is ranked 3rd in that vp directory for all states.

web730 said:
I'm from Florida, too .. welcome! I moved to Florida several years ago. I'm still bit "new" here, too.

From what I was told that Tampa Bay area (Tampa, STP, and Clearwater) may be the largest deaf community in the state of Florida. I still believe so.

VP Directory should show you that there is a large deaf community in FL. Though not all registered on vp directory but in general speaking. FL is ranked 3rd in that vp directory for all states.

I agree with this poster. :) I am from Florida too....and I knew that Tampa has a large population of deaf people there. There are many deaf people all over FL, not just in Tampa, STP, and in Clearwater. :) Even in St. Augustine where there is a school for the deaf. :)

Generally speaking, in a this order, the largest Deaf community in Florida is located in:

1) St. Augustine
2) South Florida (Miami Dade, Broward & Palm Beach)
3) Greater Tampa Bay Area
4) Central FL corridor.

And welcome to AllDeaf! I'm in South Florida. :)

I know a strong deaf leader in the Jacksonville area. He is a Fred Schreiber (sp) like personality who was smudged out of the NAD leadership circles few years ago by dirty tricks of the Kappa Gamma fraternity.

Richard

St. Augustine may be the most deaf-congested town but not as much numbered as the Tampa-St.P area and Miami-Broward Counties. I would like to know the fact of Florida's deaf population. I may find it but if you know of a source, let us know ok.

For the general population ranking .. it may surprise you bit .. Florida's largest city population (as of 2003):

1. Jacksonville 773,781
2. Miami 376,815
3. Tampa 317,647
4. St. Petersburg 247,610
5. Hialeah 226,401
6. Orlando 199,336
7. Fort Lauderdale 162,917
8. Tallahassee 153,938
9. Pembroke Pines 148,927
10. Hollywood 143,408

So does it surprise you? There is another surprise in the next post here on Jax's other stat.

I would like to know the fact on the deaf population in Florida. The above stats include hearies and all, ofc.

Attachments

• flacitypopul.jpg
    flacitypopul.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 37
Jax's city land area: compare it with other known large city areas

Jacksonville's Land area: 758 sq miles

Houston's Land area: 579 sq miles

L.A.'s: Land area: 469 sq miles

New York City's Land area: 303 sq miles

Chicago's Land area: 227 sq miles

Washington, D.C.'s Land area: 61 sq miles

Jax's land area is the largest in the U.S. mainland.
(That's another surprise .. just an interesting fact part of FL may have been overlooked)

Also I was just told not long ago that the Florida School for the Deaf (FSDB) is the largest deaf school in the U.S.A.

(by student popul. only)

Actually, Jacksonville, itself is small. The reason Jacksonville has more square miles, is because the city is consolidated with the county (Duval).

Based on zip codes in each city: The ten largest cities in Florida:
1) Miami: 1,657,002
2) Fort Lauderdale: 782,717
3) Jacksonville: 778,906
4) Orlando: 760,001
5) Tampa: 682,235
6) Hollywood: 417,796
7) West Palm Beach: 410,610
8) Saint Petersburg: 350,665
9) Hialeah: 341,160
10) Tallahassee: 246,810

So, it is safe to say that South Florida and Tampa Bay have the largest deaf population in the state.

What I would love to see in the next census count effort is a question:

Do you or anyone in the household know American Sign Language?

This would paint a near-accurate picture of how many Deaf people live all over America and can be broken down by geographical boundaries. Yes, I know hearing people are fluent in ASL, but what other method can be more accurate? Should there be a question like,

Do you or anyone in the household have hearing loss? If yes, does this person(s) know American Sign Language?

What I don't like is using the first part of the question above, "Do you or anyone in the household have hearing loss?", all by itself on a census. It could lead to many senior citizens counting themselves in that category and truly inflating the numbers of Deaf people (using ASL) and making for inaccurate census statistics.

Brian said:
Actually, Jacksonville, itself is small. The reason Jacksonville has more square miles, is because the city is consolidated with the county (Duval).

Based on zip codes in each city: The ten largest cities in Florida:
1) Miami: 1,657,002
2) Fort Lauderdale: 782,717
3) Jacksonville: 778,906
4) Orlando: 760,001
5) Tampa: 682,235
6) Hollywood: 417,796
7) West Palm Beach: 410,610
8) Saint Petersburg: 350,665
9) Hialeah: 341,160
10) Tallahassee: 246,810

So, it is safe to say that South Florida and Tampa Bay have the largest deaf population in the state.

You used metroplex using zip codes that shouldn't count as a city only. You included the area outside the city skirts.

Jax isn't that small .. over 770,000. It has about the same population as Indianapolis .. ofc, it ain't LA or Chicago, but Miami or Tampa ain't even as close.

Only thing I agree with you, is the deaf population in Tampa Bay area as the largest, more likely.

However, Jax has a lot of room to grow in near future, definitely. They were ranked 1st for the best business relocation in America last year. Also due to many hurricane victims are moving from south Florida to N.E. Fla area where Jax is located in. I believe that Jax will explode more in near future. There is already an explosion in southeast Jax area where these parts were ranked 3rd-4th fastest growing in the USA since last 2 years.

Speaking of deaf/HH community in Jax it ain't that great yet. Hope that they do. They (deaf) vary wide in ages and rather bit sleepy while in general population is mostly 30-40's. Also St. Augustine is just a 30-minute drive away.

web730 said:
Jax isn't that small .. over 770,000. It has about the same population as Indianapolis .. ofc, it ain't LA or Chicago, but Miami or Tampa ain't even as close.
Having visited Jacksonville numerous times, I humbly disagree with you. :) The city of Jacksonville is synomous with Duval County, so I'll go by county population figures according to 2004 estimates as done by the U.S. Census Bureau: (The major city is in parentheses)

Miami-Dade: 2,363,600 (Miami)
Broward: 1,754,893 (Ft. Lauderdale)
Palm Beach: 1,243,230 (West Palm Beach)
Hillsborough: 1,101,261 (Tampa Bay)
Orange: 989,926 (Orlando)
Pinellas: 928,537 (St. Petersburg)
Duval: 821,338 (Jacksonville)
[source: quickfacts.census.gov]

As you can see, Jacksonville (Duval County) ranked #7 overall in terms of population in Florida. However, as you correctly pointed out, Jacksonville has a lot going for them as opposed to South Florida or the Greater Tampa Bay region.

In a nutshell, thanks to the UDB restrictions, Miami-Dade & Broward counties are fast running out of expansion room. The UDB (Urban Development Boundary) is a necessary urban planning mechanism to preserve the beauty of nearby Everglades and at the same time, promote continued development. AFAIK, Jacksonville does not have a similar urban planning restriction, and has the largest landmass of any mainland U.S. city.

Plus, the South Florida region is prone to hurricanes, and I really can't recall when the last time a hurricane actually touched North Florida, let alone caused massive damage. The cost of living in North Florida is a whole lot less than the cost of living here in South Florida. The cost of doing business is also lower in North Florida, too! Heavy traffic woes also contributes to the worsening quality of life here in South Florida.

That all said, Jacksonville has to be careful with their urban planning endeavors, lest they wind up like Atlanta and its vast urban sprawl. That can't be a good thing. :(

Still, if I had a job I could work from anywhere and live anywhere in Florida, I'd rather live in St. Augustine. :)

You guys only speak of the metropolitian area which Miami leads, sure. I was pointing of a city size only (not by its mtreopolitian area), Jax leads. That's it, and it should answer this debate. :bump:

Yes, I rather agree that it's preferrable to live in St. Augustine for such reasons, you know. My wife and I plan to move there this late summer, actually.

Tell us of other cities in Florida which is ideal for the deaf community and the reasons ok.

Back