Cochlear device and exhaustion??

Danb

Reaction score
Does anyone else get really tired as the day goes on, when they use their CI?

I am finding that if i have to keep my cochlear device on and forced to "hear" all day without a break, I get extremely tired and wiped out.

Its like i'm running a marathon or something. I have to concentrate extremely hard in order to stay with the conversation. I hear the sounds fine, its loud enough but i have to force my brain to understand what i'm hearing. Its like a running "proof reading program" to make sure each sound is correct.

Its weird. I don't get as wiped out if i don't use my CI as much.

Its driving me crazy.

Yes, with my left, I get exhausted by end of the day. My right which I had for 16 years does not make me tired.

I have only one, on my left as well. Do you know why it makes us tired? Is this something i need to let my employers know so that i can work around it?

Hi: I have had my Cochlear Implant since August 2007. I was advised to keep it on all waking time. The reason so that one's brain can get "used the sound from everywhere".

To date don't feel "exhausted"-so far.

Possible for the volume to be "too high"? Comfortable mapping setting?

Discuss at your next audi visit-

Good luck

You're working harder to understand words and conversation probably. You probably need a new MAP or you need to maybe practice more at home with like audio books or resources from cohlear/AB and other sites for audio rehab so that words and listening gets easier! Have you practiced since you've gotten activated?

I have only one, on my left as well. Do you know why it makes us tired? Is this something i need to let my employers know so that i can work around it?

I think it just has to do with the brain just not used to processing the information that the processor creates. The brain does work "harder" when you have the implants on since its trying to make sense of the processed information. So therefore, when you put on the processor, the brain is using more brain power (than a normal hearing person) which causes you to become tired.

I don't think its something that can (or) effect you on a job unless it makes you really tired and start causing mistakes. In middle and high school, it was on the IEP which stated that I may become tired from a full day of constant hearing. In fact, I would have a double lock out (have study hall last 2 periods of the day) because I would be so tired for constantly listening.

Usually at the end of the day, taking off both processors is such a relief. So maybe if you want/can, have a good reasonable break during the day of work without the processor on.

Over the years, my right implant which has 16 years of experience, I rarely get tired mentally from it since I am so used to hearing all day with it.

However when I got my left implant (3 years now), if I wear it all day, by dinner time I will get so exhausted that taking it off feels like taking weights off of my shoulders - huge relief.

I only have a CI on my left side and totally deaf on the right. I get exhausted after a full day of trying to figure out what people are saying. I also get a massive headache. I have been told that with two CI's things would be much better but I am no where near ready for another one. I do have horrendous tinnitus 24/7 so that might be part of it.

If there is more then one person talking like when the family comes over, I check out early because it is just too hard to follow everyone. I do love my CI though.

Wow, what everyone wrote is exactly what i've been experiencing. I've had my CI for 5 years. Its been mapped a lot.

I guess its just something i'll have to prepare for throughout the day.

I'm relieved to hear people go through the same thing. I thought there was something wrong and i started to blame myself for being ungrateful or something.

Thanks everyone.

Lowering your volume and/or sensitivity probably will help. If you have a remote, set up one program as normal and the other as normal with reduced volume...this way, you can switch based on whether you really need to listen to people or not.

I do NOT use the maximum settings, ever. I keep my settings below max, just enough to understand people when they are talking to me.

Your brain is working overtime to hear and make sense of the "sound". Give it time. I get tired with mine... the first few weeks were the worst... every day got a little better, but now I have the second... I'm very tired again... and its only been on for about 4 hours...

Last edited:
Hmm, the audiologist told me to keep it max volume and moderate sensitivity. What blend of the two do you use?

I've had my CI for 5 years and i still can't seem to get a consistently good sounding program. Its like constantly changing, except in quiet environments.

Also I can upgrade to the newest Cochlear brand product but i'm just wondering if its even worth it?

Did the 2nd CI cause any problems with your balance? I've been offered a 2nd one but they are worried it could affect my balance permanently.

Adding on 2nd implant for me really disturbed my balance lol. But you get used to it, only downside is that you can't walk straight as if youre doing the drunk test, or you can't stand on one leg straight (these are usually the results from what I have seen among 2 implant users)

Does that go away?

Is it from the operation, or is it from the CI device somehow?

There is no way I could handle MAX volume or moderate SENSITIVITY. I guess everyone of us is so different. Most days my volume and sensitivity is only at 3-4. My audi wanted me to go higher at first but realized my brain just could not handle that.

I just tried turning up the volume to 10 and that is crazy loud!!!

maybe just maybe your audi isnt a good one, have you tried with another one?
i dont have CI, but i have HA and with a bad tinnitus for this reason (and strain as you mentioned) i decided CI is not for me...however , i think in your case, i'd think its high time -now- to get a second opinion from another audi becuase if you keep straining in a misguided manner you'd run a risk of getting tinnitus , seriously , and so to avoid the stress relation ear ringing onset to actually start (once it starts its IMPOSSIBLE to rid)...so..id go with re-mapping BUT with a diffii audi and see what they say and compare with what you're experiencing, my hunch is, fulll bore is a no-no, they are in a belieft with textbook(s) not experience...just my take on all this...do yourself a favour and save a lot of trouble get it re-mapped AND lower vol With a diff audi then it'd be safer...
just because it works for another person of similar audi-curve as you it doesnt mean thats what you need, your sensitivity is subjective not objective, that's the bit they seem to fail to realise...
good luck

Does that go away?

Is it from the operation, or is it from the CI device somehow?

Usually stays with the person for life, but you can always train yourself, workout and your balance will improve.

There a joke that goes around the deaf community, when you ask someone if they have a deaf child, will you implant the baby, and sometimes they'd say no because they don't want their child to lose balance lol

Does the 2nd CI make a large improvement? My high score in the audi tests is 85%. :) But i have to concentrate like a mad man.

not for myself to say, but I would try suss with the first one first, like dont go the whole trouble when you find out later that when you have now is all you needed, get it sorted first, then decide...dont make a haste decision, but only you know best

2nd CI didn't affect my balance, and it hasn't improved my comprehension at all... actually right now it is interfering with it... but then again, I have only had it for 3 days... only time will tell if it will raise my comprehension.

I got activated on my first CI about two weeks ago. The first week ...usually around 10 pm I'd get a headache and tinnitus....Hypersensitive hearing and would have to remove the processors a while. Now I only get tinnitus and it usually goes away after I lower the sensitivity and volume a bit.

Back