The end of the free Internet?

I doubt it happens, but if it does, people will find other avenues for entertainment.

If ad-blocking software gets sophisticated enough to the point where ads can't support websites anymore then I think what is likely to happen is a sort of forced commercial in which when you first load a page it will show a commercial. That way it will always show an ad no matter if you have *******er software or not. As I recall forbes.com is using this approach, whenever you view an article it always forces you to view an ad.

yup Forbes does that. I think a few other sites are starting to do that too with a little pop up that you have to click away before you can even get to the site.

Even so-- people are creative people and will always find ways around it to avoid ads. I don't know if that will mean the end of 'free internet' or not-- people are already paying a chunk to cable/isp companies to access the 'net so in effect it isn't really free anyway...?

It don't bother me I just don't read them unless interested.There be ways around it bit of serendipity and plenty of money at secondary Internet

With all the data tracking I'm not sure why we don't see more truely dynamic product information married to out web content. Flashing banners and annoying pop ups have been around for 20 years! Product information relevant to personal interest AND the current url we're on is muchless obtrusive. I wouldn't even have an ad blocker if it followed that criteria

Back