CI Seminar

sonocativo

Reaction score
I am going to a major CI Seminar tomorrow at a Hospital where one of the top CI surgeon and CI are located. Going to see what all can be done and maybe get the ball rolling. Just found out tonight a little information that if I wait about 2 months for getting the implants that CI will be rolling out some new products that will be WiFi compatible. Looking forward to this event tomorrow

WiFi compatible? How does that work ? I know what WiFi is but for CI, how would that be beneficial?

WiFi compatible? How does that work ? I know what WiFi is but for CI, how would that be beneficial?

I don't have 100% details but if using a cell phone you will hear it in stereo, wirelessly connect to TV and other stuff...

also think wirelessly mapping or something , supposed to come out in about 2 months, I may be able to get more info tomorrow?
from my understanding it is Cochlear N6 that will be wifi compatable

Isn't that blue tooth? I'm no techie but I thought wifi was internet connection. o_O

Are you sure you'll be able to "get the ball rolling"? I would think a seminar was just information about CI, and probably new technology going to be available.

Cochlear Nucleus 6 Speech Processor - Deafness
Cochlear Nucleus 6 Speech Processor

The Nucleus 6 Cochlear Implant processor has just been released. I currently have excellent sound with my Nucleus 5 Cochlear Implant processors, so why am I going to upgrade for the third time?

When I had my first implant the Cochlear Implant Speech G3 processor used analogue technology. I upgraded to a digital Freedom processor and this gave me better sound quality. Then I upgraded to the Nucleus 5 which gave me even better sound quality, particularly in noisy environments. It was also so much smaller and my ears hurt less. I have excellent sound, particularly in my usual day to day life work, family and home activities.

The Nucleus 6 processor is being released this week (Nov-13) in Adelaide and I’m going to the launch to find out more about it and why I would want/need it. However, I asked two people what they think. They have been the ‘guinea pigs’ testing this N6 system for the past couple of years.

“I regularly get asked about what are the benefits of upgrading to Nucleus 6, so I am going to share my experiences with you. The things important to me are the benefits I get from the new features and improved technology.”

The N6 processor feels slightly lighter– “this means it is easier to wear.”
Battery power consumption is slightly better – “so my rechargeable batteries last longer”.
The telecoil function is improved –“ making it easier to hear on the telephone”.
It has greater water repellent qualities –“ thus it is better protected should it get wet”.
More robust buttons -“this means I can feel them easier.”
There are two remote assistants – giving choice about how to control the processors. “they really take it all to another level.”
It performs better in noise., “It has enhanced my ability to hear in nearly ALL noise environments, a lot of places I could not handle are now back on :- Churches/Funerals, Restaurants are now 'dooable' as I can handle all the associated noises, but the BIGGEST improvement for me is I can now stay 'inside' the pre school (where I volunteer) for extended times whereas before I only lasted 5 minutes.”
N6 is Wireless Ready and is 5 times more powerful than previous processors. Cochlear says “Soon” the N6 will directly connect recipients to a wide range of 2.4GHz Wireless Devices. This means recipients can use Bluetooth-enabled devices without connecting accessory cords or neck loops.
The N6 keeps a record of the programs you use– “my audiologist can better program it for me for personal listening environments.”

But the GREATEST BENEFIT is the new SmartSound2. “Every second of your day your processor automatically scans your environment and adjusts programs. It does all of this without you needing to do a thing. It senses what listening environment you are in and adjusts your programs. This is a huge benefit especially for people who don’t want to worry about carrying and using their remote assistant. It’s also a fantastic benefit for children and seniors who may not be as technically minded and this way it is helping to make LIFE so much easier.”

“Let me explain:
If you are using EVERYDAY (HOME program) when you are at home and in quiet and then step outside or go into a Café or noisy Restaurant, it automatically adjusts your processor as the listening environment changes. “

If MUSIC is playing, it will automatically adjust to MUSIC program. ”I could not 'hear' or define the lyrics of songs clearly on my car nor could I be bothered trying to listen to ABC Radio at home, but now, that's ALL in the past....The ABC is on at home and car around the clock and when I want my country music, I play it......so it’s fair to expect you will hear it all clearer and more defined with the N6.”
So, will I upgrade. My opinion is that now
I hear with implants I MUST hear the best I possibly can and this means upgrading with new technologies. Every generation of processors improves and brings my hearing closer to normal and I want that.

Isn't that blue tooth? I'm no techie but I thought wifi was internet connection. o_O

Are you sure you'll be able to "get the ball rolling"? I would think a seminar was just information about CI, and probably new technology going to be available.

It is held at the hospital where one of the top surgeon is located, I am going to talk to them and get the ball rolling yes. Im there, might as well make the appointment and all too. Time to stop beating around the bush and hop on the bandwagon.

It is held at the hospital where one of the top surgeon is located, I am going to talk to them and get the ball rolling yes. Im there, might as well make the appointment and all too. Time to stop beating around the bush and hop on the bandwagon.

Have you checked to see if that surgeon participates in your insurances network?

Have you checked to see if that surgeon participates in your insurances network?

yep, did the research and its covered 100% bilateral.
When I talked before on this and said the insurance would only pay $1000, well I found out that is because the insurance company was wrong, they were classifying it as a prosetic under hearing aids, CI isn't a prosetic as it is an implant, so falls under a different category and is covered so the audi and surgeon has to submit the paperwork to make sure it is done correctly and everything is covered.

I don't mean if your insurance covers the surgery, I mean does THAT surgeon take your insurance.

Like I'm going to have to go 235 miles to Houston, there's only one otologist in ALL of freaking Texas that participates in my HMO. HMOs suck. Actually I need to find out if he even does ABs. If he doesn't screw it, I'll wait til the end of the year and enroll in a different insurance.

If you go to the surgeons website you should be able to look at what insurance networks he takes.

I don't mean if your insurance covers the surgery, I mean does THAT surgeon take your insurance.

Like I'm going to have to go 235 miles to Houston, there's only one otologist in ALL of freaking Texas that participates in my HMO. HMOs suck. Actually I need to find out if he even does ABs. If he doesn't screw it, I'll wait til the end of the year and enroll in a different insurance.

If you go to the surgeons website you should be able to look at what insurance networks he takes.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, yes the surgeon is covered, I have talked to a few people who used him and have the same insurance company, so yes, its all covered.

My audiologist has been telling me how much better the N6 is over the N5. Having a processor that is waterproof would be amazing. N6 is wireless, N5 is not. So if I am out to dinner and it is super loud, I have to plug in my microphone and the wire is always in the way.

My audiologist has been telling me how much better the N6 is over the N5. Having a processor that is waterproof would be amazing. N6 is wireless, N5 is not. So if I am out to dinner and it is super loud, I have to plug in my microphone and the wire is always in the way.

Yes, but supposedly there is a new upgraded N6 that's coming out within 2 months ( this is from an inside source ) that will be wifi compatable or capable from my understanding , so I was told to wait til it comes out before getting implanted, I guess so I get the newer/better stuff?

Yes, but supposedly there is a new upgraded N6 that's coming out within 2 months ( this is from an inside source ) that will be wifi compatable or capable from my understanding , so I was told to wait til it comes out before getting implanted, I guess so I get the newer/better stuff?

Newer yes. Better maybe not. Anytime new technology comes out there is always a rough period to get the kinks worked out of it. Your taking a gamble getting new and possibly unreliable technology over the old time tested reliable stuff.

Newer yes. Better maybe not. Anytime new technology comes out there is always a rough period to get the kinks worked out of it. Your taking a gamble getting new and possibly unreliable technology over the old time tested reliable stuff.

I agree very much, always a glitch somewhere....

No, there is not a new N6 coming out in a few months with Wifi. Wifi on a cochlear implant processor is pointless. You are confusing Wifi with the wireless 2.4 Ghz capability.

What they are telling you is that they expect a software upgrade to roll out that can be installed on the N6 to enable the wireless capability. The wireless tech is already inside the processor, it is just not enabled yet.

Not to piss all over the excitement over the 2.4 wireless system, but there is a reason Phonak uses a wired loop in their wireless system. The Baha 4 system uses the exact same 2.4 system that Cochlear will be rolling out for the N6 so if you want an idea of how that is going over... look for feedback from Baha 4 users. What sounds good in theory may not sound good when using it.

No, there is not a new N6 coming out in a few months with Wifi. Wifi on a cochlear implant processor is pointless. You are confusing Wifi with the wireless 2.4 Ghz capability.

What they are telling you is that they expect a software upgrade to roll out that can be installed on the N6 to enable the wireless capability. The wireless tech is already inside the processor, it is just not enabled yet.

Not to piss all over the excitement over the 2.4 wireless system, but there is a reason Phonak uses a wired loop in their wireless system. The Baha 4 system uses the exact same 2.4 system that Cochlear will be rolling out for the N6 so if you want an idea of how that is going over... look for feedback from Baha 4 users. What sounds good in theory may not sound good when using it.
Nope, no more wired loop... seen it all today.

My father is going under the knife this Tuesday.

I will be calling this week to set up the appointment, with testing and all, it will be about 2 months total to get implanted from start to finish, then the activation/mapping begins.

Sonocativo
Could you please tell us more about what the seminar was like including what was covered, etc.? Was it just about the one brand? I am very interested because of where i live in Southern Illinois St. Louis seems to be the nearest city with larger medical centers.

Back