What GPS is deaf friendly

The Joker

Reaction score
Does Garmin have an GPS helps the deaf show where to go? Many have voice instructions and by voice is no good for me.

I have a Garmin Nuvi and it's great.
The instructions are clear, and it shows turnoffs in an very visible way.

You're not going to find something that does CC or subtitles, but really, my Garmin Nuvi works great (and I've travelled all across the country with it). My model also has the free lifetime updates, which has been very helpful.

Googlemaps and mapquests on smartphones show turn by turn steps and will list the directions so that may help. Tricky part is driving and looking at the directions at the same time (which I assume is why they probably don't do text or captions- driving and reading is akin to texting and driving. Doesn't the Garmin and similar do something like this as well?

Welcome to Deaf world, Joker!

Old version of TomTom is great, newer sucks. sick and tired of error message saying voice is not enabled, blah blah. I don't give a shit about this. I tried Garmin, and don't like it at all. Struggling trying to get used with Google map on dumb phone and it is "Alrighty" still better than new version of TomTom.

I eventually will need trucker GPS since I will be getting RV trailer soon, so height and weight will be critical when hauling RV trailer. Hopefully before the beginning of 2015 summer season so we could travel west again but with RV behind.

For now, I am sticking with old TomTom, and use dumb phone to find whatever I need locally.

Define "deaf friendly GPS"?

I use my own smartphone GPS. Google Maps does pretty good for me. It does walking, bicycle, vehicle, and transit routes.

I even like the rerouting feature.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

In about 31 days, I'll be testing just how good Google Maps really is when I head to Palatine. That should be an interesting day. Hopefully I won't have the same fiasco I had a few years back, although I am confident that I'll get to Harper College safely.

x_rm_etr_ca_c.jpg

Does Garmin have an GPS helps the deaf show where to go? Many have voice instructions and by voice is no good for me.

what? it has visual display to tell you where you gotta turn. or use step-by-step direction.

the voice instruction is telling you exactly what it is said on top of this gps
gps-navigation-system-4.jpg

That is what I have been using until about 5 years ago. I could glade at map and just drive, I have good memory on map. That is until friend of mine lend her TomTom 5 years ago. I was like what for? She said, just play and see for yourself. So, what did I find? I find that GPS offers more than just looking at paper map, where is gas station, where is food, where is sleep, and so on. I didm 't realize that it has advantages over regular paper map. I got used to it, until I had trouble with new TomTom, I discovered that google does very well, even better... its much updated at latest than any GPS.

I believe in near future, GPS will be obsolete, cause car will drive itself, just type in the destination, and it will take care the rest... Gee!

Thats what i have been wondering too... Perhaps joker just became deaf, and not sure what to do while we, the Deaf already used since birth and we would figure out anyway.

what? it has visual display to tell you where you gotta turn. or use step-by-step direction.

the voice instruction is telling you exactly what it is said on top of this gps
gps-navigation-system-4.jpg

That is what I have been using until about 5 years ago. I could glade at map and just drive, I have good memory on map. That is until friend of mine lend her TomTom 5 years ago. I was like what for? She said, just play and see for yourself. So, what did I find? I find that GPS offers more than just looking at paper map, where is gas station, where is food, where is sleep, and so on. I didm 't realize that it has advantages over regular paper map. I got used to it, until I had trouble with new TomTom, I discovered that google does very well, even better... its much updated at latest than any GPS.

I believe in near future, GPS will be obsolete, cause car will drive itself, just type in the destination, and it will take care the rest... Gee!

Good point!

Problem is that too many people rely on gps and will rely on gps all over again because they forgot where to go if GPS is broken or something. When reading map once, and if you go to same route you are more likely to go there without reading map. :lol:

Good point!

Problem is that too many people rely on gps and will rely on gps all over again because they forgot where to go if GPS is broken or something. When reading map once, and if you go to same route you are more likely to go there without reading map. :lol:
I use GPS more because I have a hard time following maps (or seeing it clearly- not well under stress lol).

With the GPS (audio and visual)- if it is a route that I will be using more frequently I will eventually have it memorized and won't need to use it anymore. If it's a trip that I am only doing once, it's a good thing to have.

Though not sure what I'll do when my cell is suspended for 90 days (my choice- I can't afford it).

Back