New info leaked on Berghdal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steinhauer

Reaction score
Bowe Bergdahl left letter at Afghan base saying he'd left 'to start new life' | Mail Online

Revealed: Bowe Bergdahl left letter telling comrades at Afghan base he was 'leaving to start new life and didn't want to fight for America' as Army announces he DOES face desertion charges

Sgt Bowe Bergdahl left a note for his comrades saying he did not want to fight for America any more and was leaving to start a new life
Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff today said 'it's premature' to think there will be no charges laid against Bergdahl
Army Secretary confirms there will be a full government investigation into the circumstances surrounding his 2009 disappearance
Will put Obama under more pressure after Susan Rice said he served with 'honor and distinction' and freed five Taliban commanders

Obama said today it's 'absolutely' possible the five prisoners the U.S. released from Guantanamo Bay as a trade for Bergdahl could rejoin terrorist cells
President added the US has an obligation not to leave any soldiers behind
Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton said she felt the 'tough' decision was justified
But former Vice President Dick Cheney was not convinced, saying the Taliban leaders will 'most likely' launch retaliatory attacks against the US
Cheney said the Obama administration didn't 'get a very good deal'
Former comrade who was there when Bergdahl disappeared five years ago broke a military gagging order to speak to MailOnline
He said: 'As far as I’m concerned Bergdahl deserted his men and should face a court martial'
‘Everyone looked at me like I was crazy but I was right, he had walked off’
Bergdahl was scheduled to be promoted in absentia for a second time this summer before he was found and could receive five years'-worth back pay

By Daniel Bates

Published: 10:13 EST, 3 June 2014 | Updated: 10:50 EST, 6 June 2014

Taliban Commanders Say They Found Bergdahl Cursing His Countrymen - NBC News

The Taliban found Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl walking alone, acting abnormally and cursing his countrymen before they captured him in Afghanistan in 2009, two men who were Taliban commanders at the time told NBC News on Thursday.

They said that Afghan locals first informed fighters about the soldier, and then the fighters rushed to capture him.

“Our people at the time couldn’t understand his language, but it was after he was shifted to a safe location, he said he wasn’t happy with his countrymen, but he didn’t intend to convert to Islam or join mujahideen (holy warriors),” one of the commanders said.

The commanders said that Taliban officers first thought it was a trick — perhaps an American soldier sent out alone to spy on the enemy.

“As we never saw their soldier patrolling alone … we would ask him how he managed to walk out of his base,” one of the commanders said. “He would tell us that it was personal issue.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back