Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I went out for dinner with my girlfriend the other day. The bill was about $25. Waitress was quick with food and service, but she forgot to give me water when I asked for it. I did not get water until I was almost done with my meal.

For that, I left a $1 tip. I wasn't happy about being forgotten--especially with water thing. My girlfriend gave me a big lecture about leaving poor tip and that being late with water is not a good reason to leave a poor tip.

She is trying very hard to learn about Deaf Culture so she asked me if it's something that Deaf people do---leave poor tips??? I told her I did not know. I cannot really speak for every one.

My girlfriend reminded me that waitress often has to wait 7 or 8 tables. She told me to remember to help waitresses because they get paid below minimum wages. Still, I had "bruised ego" from not getting water. Go figure.

$1 is pretty shabby.

Your ego must be rather fragile if it's so easily bruised.

How many times did you remind the waitress about your glass of water?

"Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please...."

That's a pretty small box you're cramming everyone into =)

On the low end, I give a little more than 15% because I believe the people deserve it. On the high end, however, it's a little outrageous to give someone 15% on a $200 meal when they have done the same amount of work as someone who served a $30 meal. Still, I believe a tip should be given.

Getting poor service, however, is something totally different. I'm not for or against the $1 tip as it is entirely up to you.

Although, you should know that when on a date there is no end to the animosity when dealing with this situation. It's amazing to me that when I take someone out to dinner and have no problem paying they feel they also need me to not only pay for them but for the waitress as well.

When I'm a guest in someone's car I don't tell them how to drive.

Well...depends....

If the service was satisfactory, 20% is what I tip.
If the waiter does not make sure everything is fine and the food is okay, 15% tip.
If the waiter goes out of his/her way to make sure everything is good, 25% tip.
If the waitress has a nice big pair of boobs, 50% tip. :naughty:

Seriously....I am one of those people that tips based on overall service. There are a few deaf folks I know that don't tip at all...and I know a LOT of hearing folks that either tip too little or not at all.

Put yourself in their shoes.

p.s. I know a woman that pays waiters more if the waiters are cute. Kind of stupid, IMHO.

Well...depends....
If the waitress has a nice big pair of boobs, 50% tip. :naughty:....
My dad (who was divorced from my mom) would not only give a 50+% tip, he would also get the waitresses' name and phone number. :roll:

He was a very demanding patron, so all his wait staff earned their tips from him. I admit, he was also generous with the waiters who served him well. For example, he refused to use salad bars (he expected service). He would tell the waiter what he wanted in his salad and let the waiter go get it and bring it to the table.

p.s. My dad could also make waiters cry.

Like I said, they earned their tips with him. :eek3:

I went out for dinner with my girlfriend the other day. The bill was about $25. Waitress was quick with food and service, but she forgot to give me water when I asked for it. I did not get water until I was almost done with my meal.

For that, I left a $1 tip. I wasn't happy about being forgotten--especially with water thing. My girlfriend gave me a big lecture about leaving poor tip and that being late with water is not a good reason to leave a poor tip.

She is trying very hard to learn about Deaf Culture so she asked me if it's something that Deaf people do---leave poor tips??? I told her I did not know. I cannot really speak for every one.

My girlfriend reminded me that waitress often has to wait 7 or 8 tables. She told me to remember to help waitresses because they get paid below minimum wages. Still, I had "bruised ego" from not getting water. Go figure.

I see that you're still a fussy little baby and your girlfriend is being your mommy.

images

I think once or twice. I must have been in bad mood that night.

I never ever give $1 tip in my entire life at restaurants. Even if it's a bad service, you should never ever tip like that ever again. never. Just tip 10% if service was bad.

Normal tip is 15%. I typically tip a little more than 15% for overall good service and 20% for restaurant I frequent to.

Although, you should know that when on a date there is no end to the animosity when dealing with this situation. It's amazing to me that when I take someone out to dinner and have no problem paying they feel they also need me to not only pay for them but for the waitress as well.
no wonder you're having trouble finding a woman. no woman likes to go out with a stingy man and that's a fact. I will teach you how to be a gentleman.

I would if that driver is driving stupid.

... no woman likes to go out with a stingy man and that's a fact....
It does get a woman to thinking. If this guy doesn't have a generous nature, do I really want to spend my life with him? (There's a difference between being careful with one's money and not having a generous heart.)

no wonder you're having trouble finding a woman. no woman likes to go out with a stingy man and that's a fact. I will teach you how to be a gentleman.

I would if that driver is driving stupid.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in the ones on the street corners. Jiro, nice guys finish last for a reason. * shakes head *

And, there is the difference, you would actually get in the car with someone who drives stupid.

It does get a woman to thinking. If this guy doesn't have a generous nature, do I really want to spend my life with him? (There's a difference between being careful with one's money and not having a generous heart.)

Reba, I doubt you would respect a man who had no respect for himself.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in the ones on the street corners.
exactly why do you think why am I talking about the ones on street corners? and why do you expect girl to pay on first few dates?

Jiro, nice guys finish last for a reason. * shakes head *
actually - nice guys are the one with nice women in the end.... and happily married.

and since you're not a nice guy.... why is it that you're the last one in the race hhhhhmmmmmm?

And, there is the difference, you would actually get in the car with someone who drives stupid.
you don't know that till you get in the car with them and that's when I would correct their behavior.

Reba, I doubt you would respect a man who had no respect for himself.

that's right. no woman does. now you know how that woman feels about you. please have some respect for yourself.

why aren't you listening to any of these wonderful ladies in AD? they're telling you what they think of you based on what you wrote about your experiences with women and they're giving you many wonderful suggestions.

you haven't had much luck with what you're doing now. don't you think it's time to change your way?

...actually - nice guys are the one with nice women in the end.... and happily married...
:thumb:

you don't know that till you get in the car with them and that's when I would correct their behavior.
I would say, "Let me out!"

On the low end, I give a little more than 15% because I believe the people deserve it. On the high end, however, it's a little outrageous to give someone 15% on a $200 meal when they have done the same amount of work as someone who served a $30 meal. Still, I believe a tip should be given.

Getting poor service, however, is something totally different. I'm not for or against the $1 tip as it is entirely up to you.

My wife and I had a similar discussion not too long ago on tipping and we agree when it comes to tipping. It all boils down to the nature and quality of services rendered to us at a restaurant. If the service is bad (not the food which is not the fault of waiters/waitresses) then we give them a lower tip than normal. Great services, then more tip than normal. Our expectation every time we go out to eat at a good, quality restaurant is to get good, quality services at our table.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbOQgU_sSkk]TIPS.mov - YouTube[/ame]

Back