Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

I have left a two shinny penny tips ONCE.

The manager caught me on the way out and asked why-

After I went over what happened I also ended up with a coupon for my next visit.

She was not there when I returned...

But it was way more then water- we were seated then couple 'A' after us, then couple 'B', couple 'A' was eating before or order was even taken, couple 'B' was eating and couple 'A' paid and left before we were served.

According to the video, waiters/waitresses make $3 per hour, seriously? That's way low! I thought all employers were required to pay min wage by law so I did my homework and got more info. What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Interesting!

yes. employer argued that tip + hourly wage below minimum wage make up for it. that's why we should pay tip properly.

simple rule: 10% for bad service. 15% for regular tip. 20% for a group. and it's up to you to tip more if you want.

I often go a little less than 20% if service was good, a little more if it was great. 15% if it was passable. Less than 15% seems a bit cheap, so unless the waiter/waitress did a really bad job, then I go about 15%. Here in WI our state tax is 5% (individual counties and cities have their own additions to it, my area it is 5.5%) so I can "triple the tax" but 20% is even easier math. Take the first digit of the price, double it. Leave that many dollars of a tip. Easy peasy.

I have heard that teachers, demographically, are often the worst tippers. Other waiters and waitresses are, statistically, the best. (I'm a teacher. I don't know any who are consciously stingy tippers, but maybe subconsciously we have a hard time giving "extra" money for people doing their job well, since teachers often do so much extra work without any sort of compensation or whatever. I think I tip well, but that is a statistic I've heard, and my attempt to rationalize it so my colleagues and I don't seem like jerks.)

That 3 dollar an hour is what the whole rationale for tipping swings on!!

My dad (who was divorced from my mom) would not only give a 50+% tip, he would also get the waitresses' name and phone number. :roll:

He was a very demanding patron, so all his wait staff earned their tips from him. I admit, he was also generous with the waiters who served him well. For example, he refused to use salad bars (he expected service). He would tell the waiter what he wanted in his salad and let the waiter go get it and bring it to the table.

p.s. My dad could also make waiters cry.

Like I said, they earned their tips with him. :eek3:

When my Ex brother got married it was only the two families and we when out to eat after. My Ex brother new father in law and my father did not get along. The father in law thought he was better than my dad. When it can time to pay the bill both men fought over who was going to pay the bill. My dad called the waiter over and gave him money just so he could see the bill, and after dad saw how much it was he told the father in law he could pay it!! My dad paid at least $25 to the waiter just to read the bill! Your dad sound like my dad! My dad once told a young waitress that he was not going to pay and wanted to know where the back door was so he could skip paying for his meal! The poor girl was so upset and she did tell dad where the back door was! Dad could be a really bully!

I went out for dinner with my girlfriend the other day. The bill was about $25. Waitress was quick with food and service, but she forgot to give me water when I asked for it. I did not get water until I was almost done with my meal.

For that, I left a $1 tip. I wasn't happy about being forgotten--especially with water thing. My girlfriend gave me a big lecture about leaving poor tip and that being late with water is not a good reason to leave a poor tip.

She is trying very hard to learn about Deaf Culture so she asked me if it's something that Deaf people do---leave poor tips??? I told her I did not know. I cannot really speak for every one.

My girlfriend reminded me that waitress often has to wait 7 or 8 tables. She told me to remember to help waitresses because they get paid below minimum wages. Still, I had "bruised ego" from not getting water. Go figure.

I am trying to figure why you took is so personal about not getting your water. I would had gotten up and asked for it or asked another waiter for some water. My daughter was a waitress and she said it was hard work and most of her money came from tips and if there was a hostess she had to give part of her tips to the hostess. I really don't see what being deaf has to do with leaving bad tips!

I am trying to figure why you took is so personal about not getting your water. I would had gotten up and asked for it or asked another waiter for some water. My daughter was a waitress and she said it was hard work and most of her money came from tips and if there was a hostess she had to give part of her tips to the hostess. I really don't see what being deaf has to do with leaving bad tips!

Well I have heard it said a few times that deaf people are poor tippers....I am not saying it is true.....just what I have heard. I also know that one of the deaf HH's I have been to has mentioned in emails repeatedly that people need to tip at functions. Again I doubt it is true, but I have heard that out there.

I always tip 20% and if the service was poor, I try to think why it was considered poor and "talk" with the waiter in a constructive criticism method, maybe it could help the waiter to realise his errors and improve. Or maybe the waiter was just having a busy day. It's easy to do 20%. Just multiple the amount by .10 and double up. For example: if the bill was 19.00, then 10% would be 1.90, and doubling it up would be 3.80.

Thru the years, I've heard many complaints about tipping via the deafies....even some deafies skipping out of paying the bill. Even at coffee socials, some deafies won't even buy anything, just go to chat. That's why the coffee chat closed where I live.....But then again, I'm sure there are many deafies that do tip nicely.

Fact: It's not illegal to pay no tip.

Alot of deaf people live on government money so they are on a tight budget. They pay for the orders and don't want to pay tips. That's their choice. I bet that low-income senior citizens do the same.

What's more, the rich employers make up the difference as required by law.

Fact: It's not illegal to pay no tip.

Alot of deaf people live on government money so they are on a tight budget. They pay for the orders and don't want to pay tips. That's their choice. I bet that low-income senior citizens do the same.

What's more, the rich employers make up the difference as required by law.

if deaf people are tight on a budget, then why would they go to restaurant?

They can eat out when they afford it without paying tips. That's legal.

They can order a 12 dollar meal and not leave a 2.50 tip to a waiter making 3.00 an hour? :shock: That almost should be illegal, lol.

They can eat out when they afford it without paying tips. That's legal.

yes they can go to mcdonald or some fast food place where they don't have to pay tips but if they cannot afford meal + decent tip at restaurants... then they shouldn't go there. beside - why would they go to restaurant instead of fast food place if they're tight on money? fast food is nearly half the price of restaurant. you're not making any sense.

it's not a question of legality.... it's the manner and impression they impart to others. I refuse to take advantage of hardworking waitress's meager wage simply because I cannot afford tip. Have they no shame??????

over years, I have noticed that it is not a certain group of people that make them a bad tipper. it's not "deaf people" or "black people" or anything else.

it is those with self-entitlement attitude - gimme gimme gimme! regardless of sex, race, nationality, or religion.

Some people actually do not have any shame....they leave the table a mess, make demands on the waitress, even tho' she takes the time to get their order right. Perhaps those who do not tip, think of the waitress as a "maid".....

Even at home, I take the time to cook a good, nutritious meal. And all I expect from my boys is "Thank you, Mom"...and they help clear the table, and take their dishes to the dishwasher....I'm not their "maid" or even their waitress.

We always tip the waitress and even say "Thank You".....and I do know how hard those waitresses work, as my mother was one. She supported 6 kids, worked 2-3 waitress jobs, and those tips paid our rent. Her legs were really bad, varicouse veins broken in so many places for having to be on her feet for hours and hours.

Perhaps those who refuse to tip....should work several days as a waitress....get the first-hand knowledge as to how hard it is!.....It's more than just taking an order and bringing the food to the table. And for those deafies that do receive SSI or whatever, all they have to do is sit on their arse....at least these waitress/waiters are working.

yes they can go to mcdonald or some fast food place where they don't have to pay tips but if they cannot afford meal + decent tip at restaurants... then they shouldn't go there. beside - why would they go to restaurant instead of fast food place if they're tight on money? fast food is nearly half the price of restaurant. you're not making any sense.

it's not a question of legality.... it's the manner and impression they impart to others. I refuse to take advantage of hardworking waitress's meager wage simply because I cannot afford tip. Have they no shame??????
Don't you know that Denny's restaurants and others offer discount coupons occasionally? So low-income deafies take advantage of that because they can afford it. I know they should be expected to pay a tip but what if they don't have money to pay a tip? For example, I have $17 with me and I have a coupon that offers two meals for one price, $15 plus taxes, should I take advantage of it or not?

And for those deafies that do receive SSI or whatever, all they have to do is sit on their arse....at least these waitress/waiters are working.
You made me laugh but as you know, there's nothing we can do about it. They don't give a fuck about what you, me and others say. I know alot of deafies who live on SSI so what can I say to them about that? NOTHING! Just keep my mouth shut as long as they don't ask me to lend them some money.

Don't you know that Denny's restaurants and others offer discount coupons occasionally? So low-income deafies take advantage of that because they can afford it. I know they should be expected to pay a tip but what if they don't have money to pay a tip? For example, I have $17 with me and I have a coupon that offers two meals for one price, $15 plus taxes, should I take advantage of it or not?

If you don't have a measly 3.00 as a tip for this great discount, I'd say no, don't go.

You made me laugh but as you know, there's nothing we can do about it. They don't give a fuck about what you, me and others say. I know alot of deafies who live on SSI so what can I say to them about that? NOTHING! Just keep my mouth shut as long as they don't ask me to lend them some money.

Well, so you got a laugh...and believe me, my friends and I always tip. If they didn't, then I would not go out to eat with them.....so if you can afford to go out to eat living on SSI, then you can afford to leave a tip. Otherwise, if you can't, then go to a fast food place, or better yet, eat at home!...With the bill at a restaurant, you could buy 3 meals at home for that.

Back