Institutions for Deaf with problem social ??

There can be a number of ways to deal "inappropriately-eg criminal activity" with sudden "disability/ lack of employment". I don't the "crime rate" follows from disability-at all.
I was not implying that. I was just taking a look at some of your on-line behavior. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone," and all that.

Personal note: My son was on probation for behavior while high, He tried that new legal K2 imitation marijuana, and went psycho (it made the headlines of the community newspaper). He will bear the physical scars of that episode for the rest of his life. His probation was revoked, and he spent the last four months in jail. He has just been released, and is greatly improved. No more dextromethorphan, went to Mass with me yesterday, and is generally the young man I wanted him to be. He only has to pay court costs for the psycho episode.

Yes, he does have other handicapping conditions. "Criminal" behavior can be a manifestation of other problems. That does not make the person a criminal (in the sense of evil). The justice system can force the individual to deal with those problems. That is the meaning of rehabilitation.

MCB-my online behaviour? I am just commenting at what I am reading.

In the actual world- only God can make the claim of perfection. We humans make laws which are somewhat "approximate of the 10 Commandments". As you are aware not everyone has "religious views" that wants to be debated. I believe is called "freedom from religion" at least in one's civil life.

In this world most of us make a distinction between "sin/moral evil freely willed"VS what is described as "crime in the civil world".
Not shifting to Theology in this discussion which I have some "thoughts" from prior study.
The study of "evil" has been around for a long time with much discussion-to say the least!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Yes, reconciliation of the problem of pain with belief in a loving God is a difficult task. My God gives me the responsibility to deal with the problem, in my life and others'.

MCB" I was not discussing "pain" but "evil" which to me is very different. As human we do have some ability to deal with various aspects of our individual life and seek "counselling for areas we consider to be less knowledgable".

I was not implying that. I was just taking a look at some of your on-line behavior. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone," and all that.

Personal note: My son was on probation for behavior while high, He tried that new legal K2 imitation marijuana, and went psycho (it made the headlines of the community newspaper). He will bear the physical scars of that episode for the rest of his life. His probation was revoked, and he spent the last four months in jail. He has just been released, and is greatly improved. No more dextromethorphan, went to Mass with me yesterday, and is generally the young man I wanted him to be. He only has to pay court costs for the psycho episode.

Yes, he does have other handicapping conditions. "Criminal" behavior can be a manifestation of other problems. That does not make the person a criminal (in the sense of evil). The justice system can force the individual to deal with those problems. That is the meaning of rehabilitation.

You'd better be careful, "drphil" Ontario has a strong public policy against hate crimes.
Ontario Fights Hate Crime And Supports Victims

You might want to be careful about who is casting what stones. Your not-so-subtle remark about hate crimes was uncalled for, IMO. That doesn't belong here.

You might want to be careful about who is casting what stones. Your not-so-subtle remark about hate crimes was uncalled for, IMO. That doesn't belong here.

:gpost: I am getting a bit tired of her doing that too. I think think thinks she has found the kid the popular kids pick on.

you might want to be careful about who is casting what stones. Your not-so-subtle remark about hate crimes was uncalled for, imo. That doesn't belong here.

+1

French social work with the deaf

My French friend, I have a couple of comments regarding you questions from personal experience. First I do still Hold a L.C.S.W Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I went on to get a more involved Degree but that would be my suggestion Canada abd the USA have some schools that start to qualify you as LCSW and then help you go on to specialize. Look online they are listed
If you apply for a grant University of Maryland offers social worker programs and I know Canada also has several. Johns hopkins is the ultimate as far as I am concerned but they have a lengthy waiting list. Second. I got to know someone oneline who turned out to have spent 4 yrs in US Prison in California.
He is deaf and told me that the deaf inmates are seperated from the general population...good idea he also had counseling available. he was an arsonist.I worked while I was in school for a domestic abuse shelter in my area..I was not deaf then..but there was on staff a social worker who signed so.....my point is you need some basic skills to work towards your goals..
to be able to sign..to start looking for a school that offers a certificate or degree in Clinical social Work....and then while taking those classes perhaps do a few hrs volunteering at several types of facilities til you find your niche
Good Luck....I do want to tell you that I personally would not pick workign with the current prison population after some of the things that can happen.
Peace to you in your search..M♥

Well Aurelie: more pertinent thoughts to consider from Midnight Sun.

I got to know someone oneline who turned out to have spent 4 yrs in US Prison in California.
He is deaf and told me that the deaf inmates are seperated from the general population...good idea he also had counseling available......Good Luck....I do want to tell you that I personally would not pick workign with the current prison population after some of the things that can happen.
Excellent suggestions. A minimum-security place where they do extensive work with those who can be most easily rehabilitated is probably the best option.

J'ai appris à connaître oneline quelqu'un qui s'est avéré avoir passé 4 ans dans la prison des États-Unis en Californie.
Il est sourd et il m'a dit que les détenus sourds sont séparés de la population en général ... bonne idée il avait aussi des conseils disponibles ...... Bonne chance .... je tiens à vous dire que personnellement, je ne prendrais pas travailler avec la population carcérale actuelle après quelques-unes des choses qui peuvent arriver. [/ QUOTE] excellentes suggestions. Un lieu à sécurité minimale où ils ne travaille donc beaucoup avec ceux qui peuvent être plus facilement remis en état est probablement la meilleure option.

My apologies for the comment about hate crimes. Part of my online activities and my personal experiences have to do with a group of people who encourage hatred.

Oh well back on discussion re Aurelie's future search FOR 2 months of "field work" as noted in her first query.

Is 2 months sufficient time for such a "massive study"?

No. I have spent ten years studying that form of bigotry. She would do better to narrow the focus to something like substance abuse.

Since she hasn't posted for a while, she may have already gotten enough suggestions.

Presumably the "study of bigotry" would entail the limits of what is defined as "bigotry" within what framework?
Dictionary definition: N-a person who holds an opinion or beliefs obstinately and is intolerant to those who do not. Oxford Canadian.
Guess we wait till Aurelie returns.

Implanted Advanced bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

its nice to see that someone is interested in helping deaf people. im getting married soon and my fiance is deaf and by experience i could tell you that its true that here in mexico the deaf are severly unfortunate. we dont count with educators like you. thats why most deaf people go on without education and work. my fiance works in the fields. i know he is really smart and could do better then that. he needs confidence and its sad to see he had no further help. not because he didnt want the help but because there wasnt any :S

I would suspect "amour" observations are true in many parts of the world.
Difficult to give "glib answers" to such a pressing on-going situation.

Hi Aurelie: I didn't recall much discussion re: deaf persons in federal prisons getting "special assistance".Never mentioned in any newspaper as a "problem". Don't recall any Deaf group making any comment if this is a problem.

Is this common in France, Europe?

Good luck Aurelie in your future education.

Once again, you are so very wrong. There is much research done on the topic of deafness and the penal system. It is a huge problem.

Please stop making such ignorant comments. You would do better to learn yourself before attempting to educate someone else.

Hello Aurélie,

First, I would like to apologize for DrPhil coming here and inputting on something he knows entirely nothing about. He is not even immersed in the Deaf community, hence ignorance is being shown.

Second, you're entirely correct on the fact there are problems in prisons, and deaf youths.

It is a well-documented knowledge, but the problem really is at getting to these people. Not many places will lend you the information on how to find the children on the streets (not that there are many here in general, as opposed to other places that I am aware of) and deaf people in prison - hard to access that information unless they tell you. Problem is that they usually have totally no communication with the outside world.

Third world countries probably is your best bet. I have a friend that works with a non profit organization that does that. Finding deaf children in poverty ridden areas and working with them. She says its tough.

Much blessings to you for taking up this task.

Very true. And to get into the prisons, one is generally not admitted unless they are doing research and backed by a particular institution, or are working on a dissertation.

There's a local ministry here for deaf people in the prison system. It's a serious problem.

Deaf children in rural areas in Mexico are severely disadvantaged. There are not enough resources available for them to go to residential schools. Special education is nearly non-existent in Mexico. These children grow up without any education, and only very primitive home-sign, which, of course, limits them to communication with family.

There are deaf communities in Mexico where hereditary deafness is common, and they do have their own sign language. However, this, of course, is uncommon.

If you want to develop programs for the deaf in a place where there is almost nothing, Hispanic America is the place to go. If you know Spanish, go for it!! You can contact Catholic missionary programs for further information.

The uncommon situation you describe in Mexico is generally an environment where the deaf end up to be more well adjusted and informed than many who are in the mainstream. The environment is specific to their needs. There is such a community in many Asian countries as well. I have done some research on the one in Bali. And, if you want a closer example, think Martha's Vineyard.

Back