TTY to TTY (PC Software)

bburton2841

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a deaf individual who works for the State of Oregon. We are looking to open a direct TTY line here at my agency so our deaf and hard of hearing customers could contact us directly without having to use a relay while using a TTY.

TTY systems seem to be quite old and they could have difficulty for use over VOIP lines which is what my agency has. I'm looking for an alternative. Is there a computer software that allows my computer to act as a TTY? It would need to allow people to call me from their TTY since I am a 'Customer Service' person. So a TTY to TTY PC Software that allows sending and receiving calls both ways would be ideal.

What would be another good route to go to provide customer support for the deaf and hard of hearing within our agency? (Take in consideration that I am deaf as well.)

Thank you all for your input.

- B

If this is for internal (deaf) employees to contact you, you could use some kind of online chat program such as gtalk, aim, etc. I can't think of anyone making or selling TTY software anymore. There used to be FuturaTTY back in the old days, but you would also need a Baudot modem. Another option would be to check out NexTalk... I tried to use their software a while back but could never get it to work. Maybe they went under.

If this is for internal (deaf) employees to contact you, you could use some kind of online chat program such as gtalk, aim, etc. I can't think of anyone making or selling TTY software anymore. There used to be FuturaTTY back in the old days, but you would also need a Baudot modem. Another option would be to check out NexTalk... I tried to use their software a while back but could never get it to work. Maybe they went under.

No. I'm looking for something where our deaf and hard of hearing customers can contact me. Just like anyone would call a customer support number if they needed help. Internal isn't really a problem.

Hello everyone!

TTY systems seem to be quite old and they could have difficulty for use over VOIP lines which is what my agency has. I'm looking for an alternative. Is there a computer software that allows my computer to act as a TTY? It would need to allow people to call me from their TTY since I am a 'Customer Service' person. So a TTY to TTY PC Software that allows sending and receiving calls both ways would be ideal.

The only software that I know of is Nextalk:

NexTalk.net- Sign up and get started with NexTalk and Ip-Relay

My understanding is that it lets you place TTY calls from Nextalk's modem banks using PC software over the Internet using Nextalk's phone lines.

I've never used it myself, and I have no idea if it still works, but it sounds like what you are looking for.

Other than that, I'm not sure of another Internet "cloud" service that does what you're looking for.

There is software out there that allows a computer to "act like a tty", allowing it to use V.18 and 5-bit baudot code, but it does require a modem and a phone line (though I'm pretty sure a G.711 VoIP line would work just fine at that bitrate, even with packet jitter - so you probably wouldn't need a "real" copper POTS line).

I am looking for website that allow a old fashioned TTY to call me on my computer TTY..I remember I used it long time ago, but I forgot where! Nextalk, I downloaded it last week, and been waiting for 10 digits number for me that I can give anyone my number for them to call me but it took so forever to get 10 digits, still waiting..grr!! The jail place still using TTY old fashions, thats why I need communication with jail person direct to direct, I don't like relays..tty called relay then relay called me on vp..it took so forever to wait for that person to type. sucks, hope anyone can find right one for us!

You should try an old fashioned TTY at your desk.

You mention that you have VoIP in your office, but VoIP in an office setting is not like VoIP at home. You only have VoIP within your building and some where it's connected to a high quality ISDN line or something similar. Also because the VoIP packets aren't going through the public Internet (like Vonage for example) there's really no concern about latency or packet loss, which is most of the problem with TTY or Fax over VoIP.

If your VoIP phone at your desk provides an analog RG11 jack, just plug the TTY into it and that should do the trick. If not, use the hand set and the couplers. (Good luck getting a modern featherweight handset to fit on a TTY though)

Back