The Origins of Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is baiting because I can no more sum up Jesus in one posting (or one thread) than I could sum up my life in one posting. I think you take a simplistic view of the Bible. It's not intended to be a historical record. It's intended to convey to you through stories and examples of how you should live your life. There are people here in AD that follow many of the rules set in the bible but do not practice Christianity. I think that should tell you something fundamental about the roll that the bible has played in our history and the shaping of our societies. This is why you should "bother".

Perhaps so, you can have a short or a long posting to sum up your life. Again, it can be done.

The Bible is a historical document, both the OT and NT. It is intended to be a historical record because it *IS* a historical document to begin with. When producing stories also means talking about what happened historically, a time when towns, events and people existed and transpired, especially Jesus Christ and His teachings. Archaeology has substantiated many of the Bible's historical accuracy. At the same time, it's quite apparent that the Bible is also intended to help people with their lives and how to live their life, and to seek their salvation. I'd say that for you to say that the Bible is not intended to be a historical record shows a far more simplistic understanding the role of what the Bible is about.

My point was they not exist. God, Santa, unicorns, Tooth Fairy, leprechauns, Jesus. All fictional.

Actually, Santa Claus was a real person. He was known as Saint Nicholas. He was turned into a mythical figure over the years though.

Jesus Christ is a different story since there is no definite proof of his existence. There are no historical evidence to prove that he ever existed. In fact, all of the evidence of his existence takes place after he had passed on. So in a way, there is more evidence to prove that Santa Claus existed while there is nothing to prove that Jesus Christ existed at all.

Perhaps so, you can have a short or a long posting to sum up your life. Again, it can be done.

The Bible is a historical document, both the OT and NT. It is intended to be a historical record because it *IS* a historical document to begin with. When producing stories also means talking about what happened historically, a time when towns, events and people existed and transpired, especially Jesus Christ and His teachings. Archaeology has substantiated many of the Bible's historical accuracy. At the same time, it's quite apparent that the Bible is also intended to help people with their lives and how to live their life, and to seek their salvation. I'd say that for you to say that the Bible is not intended to be a historical record shows a far more simplistic understanding the role of what the Bible is about.

A short post might sum yours up nicely. Most people, however, have a great deal more in their life.

Derailed much-

As an interesting side note 'the star of Bethlehem' was predicted well in advance by eastern astronomers and was likely (it fits along with the Eclipse) Jupiter in retrograde along the Pleiades cluster.

Anyway- There are women preachers at my church (well not at MY church at the moment), and we switch preachers every so often so that personal bias can't creep in a easily...

Anyhow- What does this have to do with homosexuality?

I have had a class (at school - *gasp* (elective) ) where we learned to read Jonah in closer to it's original form (well modern Hebrew) and it's gorgeous, the imagery the puns... the 'fish that was created to carry Jonah' (fish or whale the point is in the original it is pointed out that the fish was created for the purpose...) so much is lost and changes in translation- it was astonishing.

That was my much earlier point...

Actually, Santa Claus was a real person. He was known as Saint Nicholas. He was turned into a mythical figure over the years though.

Jesus Christ is a different story since there is no definite proof of his existence. There are no historical evidence to prove that he ever existed. In fact, all of the evidence of his existence takes place after he had passed on. So in a way, there is more evidence to prove that Santa Claus existed while there is nothing to prove that Jesus Christ existed at all.

I had forgotten all about St. Nick.

Prove it.

Funny thing tho', Jesus Christ was also mentioned in the Quran as a historical figure that existed calling him (considered Him only as a prophet) as "Jesus Christ the son of Mary." Two very different and separate documents pointing out a historical figure, the Bible and the Quran (from a historical perspective, not theologically), that existed. And then you have the historical documents called "letters" written separately by some of the Apostles (many years later after Jesus was persecuted on the cross) in various locations at different times who were witnesses to the existence of Jesus Christ. One good example is Paul's letters where he wrote the Book of Galatians describing Jesus. All this can be read in the New Testament.

On Paul's letters:
Codex Sinaiticus - Significance

And the date:

Codex Sinaiticus is generally dated to the fourth century, and sometimes more precisely to the middle of that century. This is based on study of the handwriting, known as palaeographical analysis. Only one other nearly complete manuscript of the Christian Bible – Codex Vaticanus (kept in the Vatican Library in Rome) – is of a similarly early date.
Codex Sinaiticus - About Codex Sinaiticus

And then you have other Apostles:

In studying the early history of the New Testament, historians have about 5,650 handwritten copies in Greek on which they can draw, many of which are distinctly different. As Christianity consolidated its power through the first millennia, the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John came to form the key elements of the New Testament.

Fragment from world's oldest Bible found hidden in Egyptian monastery - Africa - World - The Independent

In short, Jesus Christ is a real, historical figure of the time.

whatever. the bible says to rejoice the birth of Jesus - in other words, to rejoice his existence. Not his birthday and not on one day out of the year.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with this....

:lol:

So what? Unicorns mention hundreds separate, individual books. They real too?

Apparently you have not done any research or readings on this subject. You are just trolling trying to start arguments.

There are real historical evidences. :wave:

What historical evidence? The writings of the gospels were done more than a hundred years after the supposed passing of Jesus Christ with the exception of Paul's writings which was done around 40 years after the passing.

Other than that, there's no evidence, at least not physical. There's no historical documents that were created during Jesus Christ's lifetime.

His return has livened up the place. :laugh2:

The historical records you are referring to were created many years after the passing of Jesus Christ. Another thing about historical records is that they aren't always reliable if there is no physical evidence to add some credibility.

I have no doubt that Jesus was a spiritual master, but there were many throughout history. Buddha, Mohammad, Krishna and many others come to mind. I have learned that they all represent the same ideal, so it doesn't matter whom you focus on, as long as you are comfortable with it. I read the Bhagavad Gita along with the Bible, and really, I do not see what the big deal is over physical proof of their existence. I think I saw part of nirvana when I had my near death experience, and that is a great comfort to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back