How Is Everyone Doing in This Tough Economy?

yup, in order to compete theyre gonna bust all the unions and reduce everyone to slave labor. The chinese work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. no thanx

The only way to end outsourcing is to give major companies tax breaks as incentive for bringing factories back her to America and keep them here.

The reason outsourcing occurs is because the labor is cheaper overseas and often unregulated. Companies also don't have to pay taxes on money earned OUTSIDE of the US and it's territories. So they make a $145 pair of shoes in china for about $45 worth of raw materials and labor and the company pockets $100 from the shoes - tax free.

much less than $45.

our laptops costs on average $12 to make.

yup, in order to compete theyre gonna bust all the unions and reduce everyone to slave labor. The chinese work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. no thanx

I'm not much different. I work 6 days a week for up to 10 hours a day. It's called farm labor. To me it is better than no income. Many of the Chinese people know they either have to work a lot of hours for a job no one else wants or starve to death. A lot of the Chinese actually live BELOW poverty so I highly doubt that they are going to take over America anytime soon.

As for Unions, anymore the US companies such as Tyson only tolerate the union. They keep it very weak so as to not disrupt their production.

Here's an example: A man is a union rep and is very good at it. Well the Tyson management doesn't like this so they figure out a way to eliminate this man's job at the plant all in the sake of 'cost cutting'. The man is forced to take a lower paying position with less seniority and is effectively 'whipped' by the company to the point that if he complains, he's suspended then fired. So now the man is afraid to perform well as a union rep in order to keep his main source of income - the position at Tyson as a skilled blue collar laborer.

Also, Tyson maybe 'unionized' but ONLY ONE PLANT has a union - Dardanelle. The rest of them do not have unions. Why? For two main reasons:
1.) They can now sell their product to places where it is required they purchase from unionized companies. It looks on paper to say that Tyson does have a union.

2.) To make it look good for outsiders that think that a large company like Tyson has a union.

What they don't disclose is:
1. They NEVER mention the union during orientation.
2. They use scare tactics to keep the union weakened and overall ineffective.
3. If Tyson could, they would eliminate the union altogether.
4. They choose union reps who are either whipped or will side with the company more than the employee they represent.

Again, large companies look to cheap labor, unregulated labor laws, and the fact that any money earned outside of the US and it's territories cannot be taxed.

We need to offer really good incentives to encourage major companies to reopen factories and bring back jobs and keep them here. One way of doing is offering tax breaks to companies who have 80% of their workforce here in the US with at least 60% of them being in the blue collar skilled trades such as assembly, fabrication, and manufacturing. The more jobs they bring to the United States, the bigger the tax break should be like perhaps 1% for every 1,000 jobs returned to the US and kept here for at least 25 years.

Just a thought.

I agree.

What really annoys me is while doing all this outsourcing the rich executives are making record pay. aint right

The reason outsourcing occurs is because the labor is cheaper overseas and often unregulated. Companies also don't have to pay taxes on money earned OUTSIDE of the US and it's territories. So they make a $145 pair of shoes in china for about $45 worth of raw materials and labor and the company pockets $100 from the shoes - tax free.

Bunch of bullshit,if you ask me.

The only way to end outsourcing is to give major companies tax breaks as incentive for bringing factories back her to America and keep them here.

And to stop asking for huge raises and try to be content with what pay you have now.

However, that doesn't mean they should pay low wages either.

I say Congress shouldn't get a raise until they fix the problems we have now. I would rather they didn't get paid or compensated at all since they've done NOTHING.

Wow, bad times indeed. I guess I am still lucky that I am still working for the federal government and making enough income to support myself, and I've returned to school to take a couple of classes before returning in spring as a full-time student.

I don't believe we should punish the rich for their earned wealth by taxing them heavily...We need the rich people to stay in this country rather than have them pack up and take their money to elsewhere....which would leave this country a lot off worse. Rather, we should create more incentives for them to give out money or policies to benefit the others, such as others above had discussed about job incentives, taxes, etc.

Wow, bad times indeed. I guess I am still lucky that I am still working for the federal government and making enough income to support myself, and I've returned to school to take a couple of classes before returning in spring as a full-time student.

I don't believe we should punish the rich for their earned wealth by taxing them heavily...We need the rich people to stay in this country rather than have them pack up and take their money to elsewhere....which would leave this country a lot off worse. Rather, we should create more incentives for them to give out money or policies to benefit the others, such as others above had discussed about job incentives, taxes, etc.

I fail how to see ANYONE has ever proposed such things. In the 1960's, Corporations paid for 40% of the governments budget. Nowadays it's a mere 7%, and many companies such as General Electric, Bank of America, Apple and others all paid just ONE dollar in taxes. There is no issue of over taxation of any companies.

Most rich people aren't keeping the money in this country, beyond their war chests of wealth. Other legislation that would be necessary is to get rid of tax loopholes that give tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas. Even if the company wanted to keep jobs here in US, it can't because its competition will destroy it.

What is going on nowadays is very sad, seeing unions being blamed as the retardant of economic growth, and no serious discussion on getting rid of tax cuts for people who don't need them.

I'm barely out of poverty. Food stamps, child suport. the whole nine yards

Back