I predict deaf population will be smaller.

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Yes that's right you heard me.

Due to the advancing health technology. Deafness will be cured. There would be also less risks of deaf babies as well. CI will be obselete and stem cell will replace that. In about 25 to 50 years, deaf population will lose by 1/4 to 1/3 of the orginal due to aging boomers and deafness being cured.

Deaf schools will continue to close but at an alarming rate due to low enrollment.

Any other predictions you would like to add?

Only predictions that it would make the audists so thrilled if that happens. They would be jumping up and down with pure joy. Ughhh

It's not an audist thing. It's a fact. Naysayers don't believe it. Remember, they are advancing the technology to help blind people to see again. It's getting better and better but takes time. Ever seen a ex blind person drive a car?

I have to remind you guys again....nothing in health technology is like back in 1970's or 1980's. It's a big difference.

Smartphones is farrrr more powerful than several floors of computers in the mid to late 1990's.

Of course, audists will be jumping with joy when that happens. I just got tired of being a barrier from the hearing world. Everything being deaf costs more. That's why the audists are pushing deaf people off the edge as well not all deaf people will be able to hear again because of the cost and the insurance headaches.

I do agree with sequoias.

Of course there will be deaf people around for a long time - but they won't see the popularity as it was once back then, 40 years ago where a lot of deaf people were deafened due to measles breakout.

But I predict that deafness will start to become a thing of the past in about 40 years with stem technology and better neural implants. I won't be here.

So who cares? Why should you care? It's their future, not ours.

Right now, we focus on what we can do.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Some anti-science people are refusing to immunize their kids, which is bringing back a resurgence of childhood diseases. So far, there have been outbreaks of measles and whooping cough (that's especially alarming because it kills infants too young to be vaccinated yet). I don't know what this will mean for the deaf community, but it will effect everyone.

I generally agree that as medical science improves, d/hh will decrease. I'm not sure of the time scale though. If you would say 100 years from now, I'm more inclined to agree.

15 years from now, very hard to say. It's possible.

40 or 50 years from now, I'm more inclined to say it's likely.

100-200 years from now, very likely, I would say.

But, this won't be a steady march. There's different causes of deafness, and each of these would require it's own "cure" on it's own terms.

I'm kind of curious about what stem cell research would do for my cochlear deafness.

But I'm not sure I'd go for it. It's become a very integral part of who I am.

But among newborns, if there's an immediate cure available, I imagine most parents would use it.

So I'm not sure it would affect the present population much... it would affect the newborns. Those that *would* have been deaf if not for medical science.

Is it all bad? Depends. I should be dead. I was born premature. There was a medical procedure that saved my life. If I had been born 10 years earlier, i would have died.

My cousin had a baby boy born a few years ago, who was even more premature than I was. If he was born when I was, he would have died for sure. But he survived. That was medical science.

Bad or good... very difficult questions.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Yes that's right you heard me.

Due to the advancing health technology. Deafness will be cured. There would be also less risks of deaf babies as well. CI will be obselete and stem cell will replace that. In about 25 to 50 years, deaf population will lose by 1/4 to 1/3 of the orginal due to aging boomers and deafness being cured.

Deaf schools will continue to close but at an alarming rate due to low enrollment.

Any other predictions you would like to add?

... Yeah, I agreed. They definitely will do anything to get ruin of people with disabilities and/or "abnormalities" by reducing them within years and years... It is no surprise that they will get ruin of Deaf and hard of hearing people, too.

Sighs.

... Yeah, I agreed. They definitely will do anything to get ruin of people with disabilities and/or "abnormalities" by reducing them within years and years... It is no surprise that they will get ruin of Deaf and hard of hearing people, too.

Sighs.

They are already doing that now with all the in utero testing. :(

Deafness will be cured???? What is cure for cochlear aplasia? Do tell.

As far as I know there is no cure for deafness of any kind right now.

But medical science is trying to cure everything left and right. Most futurists are saying that 50 years from now, medical science will be able to extend the human lifespan to 150 years. So if you manage to stay alive next 50 years, you might be able to get medical treatment to extend your life to 150.

Then they say that if you manage to live long enough after treatment in 50 years, they'll be able to extend your life to 200 years or more. Because they expect that with the passage of time, they'll figure out how to do it.

So if one thinks about what it takes to find ways to extend life, and then think about whether there would be "cures" for deafness... I think, realistically, it's going to happen, given enough time.

I think this stuff is 50 years away, at best. 100 years is far more likely. But who knows?

I think we will always stick together, because of our experiences growing up and how we stick up for each other, no matter what happens.

It's the newborns that this will affect.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Some anti-science people are refusing to immunize their kids, which is bringing back a resurgence of childhood diseases. So far, there have been outbreaks of measles and whooping cough (that's especially alarming because it kills infants too young to be vaccinated yet). I don't know what this will mean for the deaf community, but it will effect everyone.

The rubella outbreak in south of England was disturbing.

It's not an audist thing. It's a fact. Naysayers don't believe it. Remember, they are advancing the technology to help blind people to see again. It's getting better and better but takes time. Ever seen a ex blind person drive a car?
Not quite. I predict that they will be able to cure late onset deafness and hearing loss, as well as late onset blindness/low vision, and late onset all kinds of disabilties. But, it's a LOT harder to cure or treat disabilty that is present from birth. I predict that we'll still be around for many many many more thousands if not millions of years.

This should help illustrate why I think it will start to happen within 40 years:

The Age of Spiritual Machines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And remember, virtually all of Kurzweil's predictions came true. He predicted CI's will be widely used in 2019 but I think he's predicting that too late. It already is.

He predicts that books, audio, and videos will be all digital downloads.. it's already happening. He predicts war to be mostly unmanned and it's happening with our drones. He predicts online learning... already happening... predicts text generation with speech recognition... we got Google to put captions... it only gets better over time.

And here's the thing... by 2020, a $1000 personal computer will have as much power processing as a human brain! He predicts that cars will be automated and it will happen with Google's experimental self-driving cars that prove to be extremely accurate and so far, when unmanned, no accidents.

He predicts that nanotechnology will become practical by 2019 but I think it will happen sooner.

Remember, it was just 10 years ago when it took 36 months (three years) to decode human genome costing millions of dollars. Now it can be done with less than 50,000 dollars. And in 5 years, it should be just $500.

This should help illustrate why I think it will start to happen within 40 years:

The Age of Spiritual Machines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And remember, virtually all of Kurzweil's predictions came true. He predicted CI's will be widely used in 2019 but I think he's predicting that too late. It already is.

He predicts that books, audio, and videos will be all digital downloads.. it's already happening. He predicts war to be mostly unmanned and it's happening with our drones. He predicts online learning... already happening... predicts text generation with speech recognition... we got Google to put captions... it only gets better over time.

And here's the thing... by 2020, a $1000 personal computer will have as much power processing as a human brain! He predicts that cars will be automated and it will happen with Google's experimental self-driving cars that prove to be extremely accurate and so far, when unmanned, no accidents.

He predicts that nanotechnology will become practical by 2019 but I think it will happen sooner.

Remember, it was just 10 years ago when it took 36 months (three years) to decode human genome costing millions of dollars. Now it can be done with less than 50,000 dollars. And in 5 years, it should be just $500.

Yep, technology is advancing faster than he predicted. It said in 2029 that the $1,000 personal computer would be 1,000 more powerful than the human brain. We'll see. *teeth chattering*

Back