Ah, the USA needs this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"some areas" outnumbers "throughout the USA" by miles. that's why you see spanish translation pretty much wherever you go.
If people want to cater to Spanish speakers for business or social reasons, that's their prerogative but it shouldn't be a legal requirement.

If Spanish speakers want to limit their opportunities by not learning English then that's up to them.

If people want to cater to Spanish speakers for business or social reasons, that's their prerogative but it shouldn't be a legal requirement.

If Spanish speakers want to limit their opportunities by not learning English then that's up to them.

and now that's the American way.... "it's up to you"...

the Artisans Association's agenda is not in agreement with the American way.

It might seem like that in some areas but it definitely is not true throughout the USA.

If Spanish-speaking people move to the United States for permanent residence, then they should learn English just like the Germans, Russians, Poles, Chinese, Portuguese, etc., did before them.

People are always adapting to the environment they are living in. However, as you should know, the more immigrants move to a specific community, the bigger the presence of their native language. Although this is no reason to be alerted.

Just go to any Chinatown, Little Italy, etc., you will find that people aren't speaking just English. However, people should not be in fear of English vanishing. Although it is always evolving even as we speak. It should be noted English today is not the same English people spoke a hundred years ago. In fact, a lot of words in English are French, Latin, etc.

It's just amusing to see how people get all worked up over a spoken language. Hee.

in Mexico, it is the law there that any foreigners who want to work must speak and write Spanish. Same thing to be a citizen of Mexico or Japan, one must know Spanish or Japanese. Is that legal????

Jiro, have you ever been to any fast-foods places where a worker behind the counter CAN read your written order??

in Mexico, it is the law there that any foreigners who want to work must speak and write Spanish. Same thing to be a citizen of Mexico or Japan, one must know Spanish or Japanese. Is that legal????
that's why Japan or Mexico is not a melting pot country.... America is.

Jiro, have you ever been to any fast-foods places where a worker behind the counter CAN read your written order??
yes. you?

...It's just amusing to see how people get all worked up over a spoken language. Hee.
If you really want to be amused, visit the threads where people get all worked up over ASL vs. SEE.

English speaking, yes.

I didn't see anything that said immigrants had to convert to Christianity. The writer said that immigrants coming to a nation where Christianity is widespread shouldn't expect all signs of Christianity to be hidden or removed for them.

no. the writer is basically saying - "ya'all should get used to our Christian belief or get out". I'm disturbed by his language -

‘Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.’

‘This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, ‘THE RIGHT TO LEAVE’.’

again - that is against American Constitution - the Separation of Powers. This is the country that respects ALL religions and ALL cultures under one flag. We do not ask them to respect our Christian belief. This is the country where people of all races, religions, and colors can live together in harmony and govern this country without a certain religious affiliation.

Last edited:
We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.’

Love it

‘This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, ‘THE RIGHT TO LEAVE’.’

Like it

If you aren’t happy here then LEAVE. We didn’t force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.

Wanna Marry it

but... that goes against the American Dream.... the melting pot country
Sharia law goes against absolutely everything that is American. It is the antithesis of the American dream. Sane Muslims are welcome (and as far as I'm concerned, invited) to come and make their contributions to American society. However, the fact that we're the melting pot does not mean we have to sit idly by while crazies try to impose sharia law. Fortunately, most of our Muslims are sane, so the imposition of sharia law isn't any danger now. However, the same can't be said for Europe. Their leaders have pretty much figured out that multiculturalism (which is the opposite of the melting pot) is garbage.

Sharia law goes against absolutely everything that is American. It is the antithesis of the American dream. Sane Muslims are welcome (and as far as I'm concerned, invited) to come and make their contributions to American society. However, the fact that we're the melting pot does not mean we have to sit idly by while crazies try to impose sharia law. Fortunately, most of our Muslims are sane, so the imposition of sharia law isn't any danger now. However, the same can't be said for Europe. Their leaders have pretty much figured out that multiculturalism (which is the opposite of the melting pot) is garbage.

That doesn't sound Navajo to me.

can anyone show me an example where a group of Muslims have wanted to impose Sharia law in the United States?

No, that reinforces the melting pot philosophy. As new immigrants (ingredients) arrive (are added to the melting pot), their uniqueness (flavor) is blended into the existing culture (stew). They add spice to the stew but they don't stand out of or take over the stew. The stew maintains its basic character with all the new ingredients blended in.

Oh the food is so delicious in my soup that I made with these ingredients. I love the spicy food, and it is better to be mixed with the different ingredients. Oops! I thought you were talking about food. ;)

Would anyone have a problem with people practicing Sharia law ON THEMSELVES only while still being American-law abiding citizens?

don't be silly. use your common sense.

beside... plenty of other things to worry about like... Branch Davidian... some extreme right-wing paramilitary groups...

Never once have I seen a European promote multiculturalism, and any preaching of tolerance is rooted within the horrors of the Holocaust and the fear of a repeat. In fact, many of the countries in Europe are largely homozygous compared to the East and the New World. I am sorry, but this seem to be more of an Asian or Canadian thing to say, not a European thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back