Jealous

Louby

Reaction score
Have any of you been envious of people who are able to hear? I've surprised myself by becoming very jealous of people who are able to hear which is completely out of character for me.

For Christmas my mother gave my father some sort of amazing all singing and all dancing speakers. I keep being told how wonderful the sound is, the amazing clarity of these speakers etc.

Last night when we were out, there was a lady singing. So many people were complaining about the woman singing out of tune. I want to hear. They are so ungrateful that they can hear. I want to hear her singing out of tune
I know that life goes on, that me being deaf is no one else's issue........

Any thoughts please?

I have kind of the same feeling. I am jealous about people being in one world. I want to either be 100% in the hearing or in the deaf world. I don't care which one. I was told at 7 years old I would be completely deaf in my early to late 20s. I am 22 and waiting, dealing with the slow and painful hearing loss. I see 100% deaf people and how they know who they are, and 100% hearing people not even knowing there is another world of people. That is what I am jealous of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

yes, of course. I wish I could hear the dialogues in the movies when there are no captions, the song lyrics,
when people speak to me in the dark or from afar, the supposedly beautiful birdsong, etc. etc etc
oh, well.

Fuzzy

I don't know if I'd call it jealousy. I'm not jealous about hearing all the racket at night while I'm trying to sleep. I don't envy the noise of traffic...but I do envy the wonderful things, and then, yes I do get jealous.

Laura

I am not jealous of people who is hearing. I feel peace and quiet without people make noise. I am proud to be full deaf.

Used to be jealous but it made my life miserable so I let it go and it has been all good. I have accepted that there will be some things that I will never get to do but that's ok.

Thank you all for replying.

It is nice to know I'm not completely abnormal with my thinking. Hopefully as I get used to being completely deaf, I will become like you 'Shell90' (I'd love to know how you "let it go" as I don't know where to begin??).

Thanks again everyone!

I'm kind of like Shel90, as a kid sure I was jealous (with the added bonus of feeling jealous of sighted/perfect vision/better vision too...). But over time you kind of learn more about yourself and all the other cool qualities about yourself and what you like to do (or not do). There's more to life than just hearing.

Of course these days I'm more terrified of losing my sight (a recent real dx did that...).

Thank you all for replying.

It is nice to know I'm not completely abnormal with my thinking. Hopefully as I get used to being completely deaf, I will become like you 'Shell90' (I'd love to know how you "let it go" as I don't know where to begin??).

Thanks again everyone!

Learned ASL and became a part of the Deaf world. No more hearing world 24/7 like before.

Jealous is an evil word.

Remember we will always have something that others don't have, and we too will always don't have something that others have.

I was very upset took along time get over it but I had Down's child more or less at same time and condition that cause deafness caused other things to.
Yes obviously would like all my senses as I know what was lost.Most people born Deaf accept what they never had so no point getting jealous or you get bitter

Back