Removal Cochlear Implants

I am happy for him and wish him a speedy recovery!

I have several friends over for my birthday (they are watching TV right now -- we're waiting for a pizza to be delivered) and one of them told me a little about this video. She said my CI center/hospital was pictured, but couldn't tell me any more than that since there was signing involved. Shel, would you mind briefly telling me what was said in the video? I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)

I have several friends over for my birthday (they are watching TV right now -- we're waiting for a pizza to be delivered) and one of them told me a little about this video. She said my CI center/hospital was pictured, but couldn't tell me any more than that since there was signing involved. Shel, would you mind briefly telling me what was said in the video? I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Just basically said that this guy who has been suffering from headaches and balance problems from the internal parts is relieved to have it removed.

Also, said that after the surgery, he was finally able to get a full night of good sleep because he is not suffering from any tingling in his head.

Then he said for anyone who wants their internal part removed, they can contact the patient's doctor or that particular hospital.

Just basically said that this guy who has been suffering from headaches and balance problems from the internal parts is relieved to have it removed.

Also, said that after the surgery, he was finally able to get a full night of good sleep because he is not suffering from any tingling in his head.

Then he said for anyone who wants their internal part removed, they can contact the patient's doctor or that particular hospital.

Thanks, Shel. :) I hate to keep asking you and other ADers to describe videos and pictures for me, but I want you to know how much I appreciate it! Thanks again!

And by the way, I'm happy for this person. I have migraines myself, so I have some idea of the pain he was experiencing.

Thanks, Shel. :) I hate to keep asking you and other ADers to describe videos and pictures for me, but I want you to know how much I appreciate it! Thanks again!

And by the way, I'm happy for this person. I have migraines myself, so I have some idea of the pain he was experiencing.

It is not a problem at all. :)

Here's the full translation. I think I got the majority of it. There are some parts that I couldn't really quite understand, but I have the concept just about right...I hope!

Text says: "Remember this?" Then showed a short flashback video of Matt complaining why he wants the CI to be removed.

Then Mat, the guy who had the surgery removal - who ironically, wears a T-shirt that says "Stop Cochlear Implants!", says - "I had a huge scar, (showing scar from temple to neck....old days type of CI scar), and they had to open the entire thing."

"I told mom I don't want it anymore!"
Jack eyes says:

"Thank you all for watching "Jack Eyes". Last week got up at 3 am drove to meet a deaf guy name Darren Rob (sp?) at the gas station. Very good and hard working on camera. I went to hospital at 4:30 am to adult audiologist and meet with interpreter. Watch the story."

Then they showed a black and white video of the host of Jack's Eyes coming out of a car with a license plate that says "ASL", tossing a cigarette.

"I went to see surgeon." Jack eyes talked to Mat and says "Excited? I am rooting for you. I hope you feel good about getting it removed."

Mat says: "Thank you for your support. Hi my name is Matt, I am in the hospital, many reason why I want it removed. Finally, it's about time. I keep postponing it. I want to thank you all for your support, emails, vlops, etc. Thanks. Enough headaches! I hate the CI bothering me. 1 more hour until surgery!"

Then the doc wrote "Yes" on the side of removing the implant"
Mat gives a peace sign and rolled into surgery.
Jack is sleeping during surgery, and Mat's wife is sleeping...they both are in the waiting room.

Mat's wife goes up to interpreter and interpreter is signing to her while listening on the phone..."The surgery went fine. The implant has been removed." Then they showed Matt in the "jock strap" type of bandage in Recovery room, then everything becomes in color.

Jack says, "Yay! Finally color! It's been "black and white" for so many years! Finally, you see color!" (This is just film effect...I think it's a bit corny).

Surgeon says (through interp), "Med will go away and I will give you stronger ones."
Mat says, "Hello, finally awake. I feel a little pain. I feel great. Now I want to tell you a story. Those who have CI (he signed the CI with a little bit of hatred...I find that a little bit insulting, but that's just my opinion) with no benefit at all, come to this hospital, (signed the name of the hospital..I do not know this sign...it's signed as backward "russia"). Contact my doctor at 'wackym@mcw.edu, or tammy@mcw.edu'. "

Jack is showed walking outside of the hospital and driving away.
Jack says, "Now he went home on Sunday. Matt called me and said he had many visitors to his house. He was so happy talking about how he felt. In the past, he would have difficulty sleeping with the CI bothering him. He finally had a good night sleep. Feel less headaches. Feel his body is building stronger and a lot of energy. Before he was weak. I will keep you updated in one month. Thank you for watching!"

Text says "Jack's Eyes Teams wish Mathew a well recovery!"

Let me know if there's any other videos you want me to translate!

Lady,

Thanks so much for translating the video!

For some reason, the whole tone of the video seems anti-CI to me.

For example, why is Mat showing his scar? Nothing like trying to scare people into not having CI surgery.

Like you, I'm a bit offended that Mat signed the hospital name as backwards "Russia." (WTF? The correct hospital name is Froedert)

It also offends me that he would use an aggresive sign for CI. :roll:

Oh well. At least he's happy now.

Lady,

Thankyou from me too as I also benifit from this transcripiton as I cannot see vidio's.

I like to keep an open mind on CI but I think it is very useful to see both sides of the CI debate. I am deaf. I have bad migranes. I find having bad migranes a good deal worse then being deaf, or blind for that matter. This is just my point of view.

So I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who have migranes.

Lady,

For some reason, the whole tone of the video seems anti-CI to me.

For example, why is Mat showing his scar? Nothing like trying to scare people into not having CI surgery.

Like you, I'm a bit offended that Mat signed the hospital name as backwards "Russia." (WTF? The correct hospital name is Froedert)

It also offends me that he would use an aggresive sign for CI. :roll:

Oh well. At least he's happy now.

Yes - it is a bit of anti-CI. That's why I was just rolling my eyes when Mat signed "CI" in a harsh way. I cannot really explain it...it's really tactile type of sign, so it's hard to translate it that way.

Actually, I did not know the name of the hospital! It was just signed that way, so it's not insulting, I just did not know the sign of Froedert hospital (mat and Jack did not really use a lot of oral lip movements, so that was a little bit difficult, so I had no clue what the sign for the hosptial's name).

I agree that there will be some rare cases that it would be better to have the implant removed than to keep it. I just don't think CI should be 100% the blame for causing all of these issues. Mat was saying that the CI was giving him electrical simulations while he was sleeping and it was bothering him for a very long time, giving him sleepless nights. I highly suspect that it not the CI that's doing that...there's NO electrical simulation, moving parts, or anything whatsoever with the implant itself. So...
I don't know the whole story...all I can do is roll my eyes and happy he made the decision to have it removed. However, it should not be used as a scapegoat of why CI is bad. There is one more video that Jack's Eyes did that took CI issues way out of context.

There will always be people against CI's, and really nothing much we can do about it except to educate them that there are some things that are so false. In another video that Jack Eyes did, one guy said, "one girl had three CI removals. The first time it failed. Second time, battery was no good (WTF?! There's no battery in CI!), third time - she was suffering from too many headaches and migraines.

So, having said this, and being a migraine sufferer for many years...the CI actually helped reducing the migraines. I get severe migraines because of tinnitus, not because of CI. Since my tinnitus has gone down, my migraines has gone down. It's all relative.

For the people who gets headaches and migraines post-op - I wonder if they immediately blame the CI for that fact...everyone gets headaches once in a while. Migraines are caused by some brain stem issues...read it up on Wikipedia.

All CI does is the arrays are placed into the cochlea, your skull is shaved down a little bit to make little pocket for the CI to be placed in. That's all there is to it. There's nothing that I feel that CI can cause migraines or headaches.

I am just ranting because I hate it when people immediately blame CI for their migraine and headaches. It's a body function/hormonal issues (hence why it affect women more than men), it has nothing to do with having a device in your head.

Sorry if I sound like I'm not making sense...I have a headache now. :giggle:

Thankyou from me too as I also benifit from this transcripiton as I cannot see vidio's.

I like to keep an open mind on CI but I think it is very useful to see both sides of the CI debate. I am deaf. I have bad migranes. I find having bad migranes a good deal worse then being deaf, or blind for that matter. This is just my point of view.

Oh, I agree! However, you need to know the facts, not the myths...such as, "CI cause health problems." or something of the sort...

There are failures. There are people who had botched surgeries. There are people that CI just doesn't work as well as another person with CI. Etc...so while it is good to know both sides...however, I would not look at the extreme ends. Such as pro-CI may say, "CI will make your life perfect! CI makes you hearing! CI will give children a much better life than if they had HA's or was 'deaf'" and anti-CIers would say something, "CI destroys Deaf culture! CI is not good! CI makes deaf people hearing!" etc...those extreme ends, I would just ignore.

My migraines came from wearing hearing aids. Since I had ci surgery my migraines have disappeared. I even stopped all my medicine a few weeks after surgery. I had the opposite results.

I am just happy that the person in the video is happy. No one should live in pain.

but I think it is very useful to see both sides of the CI debate.
Oh agreed!!! And I mean I think it's possible that in some people the internal parts of the CI could cause autoimmune reactions.

Yes - it is a bit of anti-CI. That's why I was just rolling my eyes when Mat signed "CI" in a harsh way. I cannot really explain it...it's really tactile type of sign, so it's hard to translate it that way.

Actually, I did not know the name of the hospital! It was just signed that way, so it's not insulting, I just did not know the sign of Froedert hospital (mat and Jack did not really use a lot of oral lip movements, so that was a little bit difficult, so I had no clue what the sign for the hosptial's name).

I agree that there will be some rare cases that it would be better to have the implant removed than to keep it. I just don't think CI should be 100% the blame for causing all of these issues. Mat was saying that the CI was giving him electrical simulations while he was sleeping and it was bothering him for a very long time, giving him sleepless nights. I highly suspect that it not the CI that's doing that...there's NO electrical simulation, moving parts, or anything whatsoever with the implant itself. So...
I don't know the whole story...all I can do is roll my eyes and happy he made the decision to have it removed. However, it should not be used as a scapegoat of why CI is bad. There is one more video that Jack's Eyes did that took CI issues way out of context.

There will always be people against CI's, and really nothing much we can do about it except to educate them that there are some things that are so false. In another video that Jack Eyes did, one guy said, "one girl had three CI removals. The first time it failed. Second time, battery was no good (WTF?! There's no battery in CI!), third time - she was suffering from too many headaches and migraines.

So, having said this, and being a migraine sufferer for many years...the CI actually helped reducing the migraines. I get severe migraines because of tinnitus, not because of CI. Since my tinnitus has gone down, my migraines has gone down. It's all relative.

For the people who gets headaches and migraines post-op - I wonder if they immediately blame the CI for that fact...everyone gets headaches once in a while. Migraines are caused by some brain stem issues...read it up on Wikipedia.

All CI does is the arrays are placed into the cochlea, your skull is shaved down a little bit to make little pocket for the CI to be placed in. That's all there is to it. There's nothing that I feel that CI can cause migraines or headaches.

I am just ranting because I hate it when people immediately blame CI for their migraine and headaches. It's a body function/hormonal issues (hence why it affect women more than men), it has nothing to do with having a device in your head.

Sorry if I sound like I'm not making sense...I have a headache now. :giggle:

Lady,

I don't know why Mat didn't fingerspell the name of the hospital instead of using the backwards sign for "Russia." To me, that was entirely uneccessary.
That happens to be my CI center and I've never had someone sign the name of the hospital in that manner.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about CIs and migraines. I'm also a migraine sufferer and if anything, my migraines have lessened ever since getting my implants. I can't explain why, but that's what happened.

I also don't understand how Mat could have experienced electrical stimulations. I wonder if what he really meant was auditory hallucinations or tinnitus. After both of my surgeries, I experienced tinnitus and auditory hallucinations. At times, my auditory hallucinations sounded like an electrical current running through my head.

I'll be interested in Mat's update in a month. Hopefully he will continue to enjoy being headache-free. As a migraine sufferer, I really feel for him and am glad he finally had his implant removed in order to get some relief.

I just don't think CI should be 100% the blame for causing all of these issues. Mat was saying that the CI was giving him electrical simulations while he was sleeping and it was bothering him for a very long time, giving him sleepless nights. I highly suspect that it not the CI that's doing that...there's NO electrical simulation, moving parts, or anything whatsoever with the implant itself.

Yes, I think that some of the things he state is mostly psychological. Once the processor is off, there's no stimulation. I felt it was a bit of an exaggeration, so like you said, we don't know the whole story...but still some things sound extreme negative because we know he's anti-CI. That's expected from an anti-CIer.

It's good that he got what he wanted, and that he's happy.

I thought it was odd that his parents were not there and only his wife. I hope they still have a good relationship despite the CI.

Lady,

I don't know why Mat didn't fingerspell the name of the hospital instead of using the backwards sign for "Russia." To me, that was entirely uneccessary.
That happens to be my CI center and I've never had someone sign the name of the hospital in that manner.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about CIs and migraines. I'm also a migraine sufferer and if anything, my migraines have lessened ever since getting my implants. I can't explain why, but that's what happened.

I also don't understand how Mat could have experienced electrical stimulations. I wonder if what he really meant was auditory hallucinations or tinnitus. After both of my surgeries, I experienced tinnitus and auditory hallucinations. At times, my auditory hallucinations sounded like an electrical current running through my head.

I'll be interested in Mat's update in a month. Hopefully he will continue to enjoy being headache-free. As a migraine sufferer, I really feel for him and am glad he finally had his implant removed in order to get some relief.

Here's a thought, too... Could overstimulation of a nerve cause some of that? I know that with some CI users, they have nerve issues that necessitate the need for a new map. In that case, I would think that shutting down a couple of the electrodes would eliminate that feeling, no?

Here's a thought, too... Could overstimulation of a nerve cause some of that? I know that with some CI users, they have nerve issues that necessitate the need for a new map. In that case, I would think that shutting down a couple of the electrodes would eliminate that feeling, no?

OB,

Yes, the problem caused by overstimulation can be solved by turning off one or more of the electrodes. You can also avoid this problem by creating a map that has less power/stimulation.

However, in my case, it was confirmed by a doctor that the feeling I had (of an electrical current running through my head) was indeed caused by auditory hallucinations.

The guy must have had a bad or neglectful audie.

By the way, there is no backward sign for Russia anywhere in the clip; that was the sign for the great city of Milwaukee, a sign that might be as old as the city itself, :lol:

Back