The Deaf Community

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should the Deaf community accept hearing people calling deafness defective or that Deaf people need to improve themselves by getting CIs or seeking a cure.? Or that we should assimilate in the hearing world fully>
If so, why?

If not, why not?

For me...NO...because we have the right to be comfortable with our deafness and be respected as contributing citizens to this country. No, we may not live our lives the hearing way but as long as we are contributing to society, why complain about us wanting to stay in the Deaf community and using ASL as our language?

Should the Deaf community accept hearing people calling deafness defective or that Deaf people need to improve themselves by getting CIs or seeking a cure.? Or that we should assimilate in the hearing world fully>
If so, why?

If not, why not?

For me...NO...because we have the right to be comfortable with our deafness and be respected as contributing citizens to this country. No, we may not live our lives the hearing way but as long as we are contributing to society, why complain about us wanting to stay in the Deaf community and using ASL as our language?

Problem is: for deaf toddlers, all options are conveyed/explained to the parents and they make a range of decisions. Other than that, I agree with the spirit of your message.

Historically speaking, hearing have patronized the deaf. Feeling superior in the guise of their so called kindnesses. Paternalized the deaf under guise and pretense of knowing "what is good for them".

Bah. Soon we may begin to believe it.

I was of course born hearing as I am late deaf. It did not take long to discover that in some hearing peoples eyes my IQ dropped faster than my audiogram.
To answer your question - no. Why? I am quite capable of making my own decisions, have the right to my own opinion and have earned and fought for the right to make my own informed life choices.

I work hard, put up with prejudices and have earned my stripes. I am late deaf but none the less proud to be deaf. The last person to make decisions for me was my father. The dear man has passed on and so there went the last person respected enough to allow this liberty.

Problem is: for deaf toddlers, all options are conveyed/explained to the parents and they make a range of decisions. Other than that, I agree with the spirit of your message.

That is the intention, but from my own experience it depends on the ones who give out the options. I was never given the option to be introduced to the deaf community and to learn sign language. The hearing world inclines to give options that fit with their world. They would not consider the deaf community or sign language as a option, especially if the parents are hearing. I disagree with that. :deaf::ty:

That is the intention, but from my own experience it depends on the ones who give out the options. I was never given the option to be introduced to the deaf community and to learn sign language. The hearing world inclines to give options that fit with their world. They would not consider the deaf community or sign language as a option, especially if the parents are hearing. I disagree with that. :deaf::ty:

I hear you; some jurisdictions are worse than others.....sorry that happened to you.

Are you asking if the decision to wear a HA, get a CI, or to research hair cell regeneration should exclude someone from the Deaf community?

ditto, shel.

All I want is others to focus on themselve or their kids and leave me alone and my opinion with deaf community. Others who are sharing the same opinions with me that we can contintue to be part of the Deaf community are awesome.

I am sure that I will come back to this thread later.

Wirelessly posted

GrendelQ said:
Are you asking if the decision to wear a HA, get a CI, or to research hair cell regeneration should exclude someone from the Deaf community?

Not what shel90 said... she asked anyone some questions. OK, like, I ask you; why are you thinking being hearing is more important than being deaf? Why are your people think we should be normal humans like you?

That is what shel90 tried to say.

Wirelessly posted

Not what shel90 said... she asked anyone some questions. OK, like, I ask you; why are you thinking being hearing is more important than being deaf? Why are your people think we should be normal humans like you?

Who are "your" people? 33% of my immediate family is Deaf, what about yours?

I dare one person to find a single post by Grendel or me that says that Hearing is better than Deaf.

Wirelessly posted

Should the Deaf community accept hearing people calling deafness defective or that Deaf people need to improve themselves by getting CIs or seeking a cure?

All NOs to these questions! Too bad, normal people think so. :roll:

Or that we should assimilate in the hearing world fully?

No, any person don't have to. It is up to us.

If so, why? N/A

If not, why not?

Deaf people should feel comfortable for themselves. I hate how the way hearing people treat us like crap cos they think they know better.

Bah.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
KarissaMann05 said:

Who are "your" people? 33% of my immediate family is Deaf, what about yours?

I dare one person to find a single post by Grendel or me that says that Hearing is better than Deaf.

I'm not refered to you or anyone in here. I gave you an example for what she tried to say...

Last edited:
I d like to see more of CI users to challenge us who are pure deaf but only arguing by hearing parents. I wonder. :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

Oh boy... you don't get it. But I will answer your questions anyway.

Who are "your" people? 33% of my immediate family is Deaf, what about yours?"

Hearing people. :| And, my life is really not so important to you. So, I don't see why I should to tell you about my family and myself.

If they don't seek out the Deaf community, but instead live in the mainstream community, they wouldn't be here.

maybe.

maybe not, if they care about CI being useful then they could have tell us what they think of CI but they haven't. You tell me about it.

Back