Increasing Abortion Rates

Vance

Reaction score
Abortion rates have increased under George W. Bush. This article suggests why this is so.

In the article excerpt below we see a strong pro-life professor concerned that abortions have been increasing in the years of the Bush administration and that may be because the "abortion rate is directly tied to economic and social conditions" and inadequate health insurance. Now this is the kind of analysis with which I completely agree. If we really do want the abortion rate to go down, as I believe most do, indeed, want, it will not work to simply make them illegal (which would generate a whole set of other problems) but to do something about the economic and social conditions within which people have to live and provide adequate health insurance. (Magatsu's comment: And yet Bush & his brain-fart gangs FAILED to see the problem and used the wrong solution. It will backfire on them soon or later. What are these morons thinking? Seriously...)

A study done by Glen Harold Stassen, a professor of Christian ethics at Fuller Theological Seminary, and Gary Krane, an independent journalist, examined whatever state data were available for the last few years (since federal reports go only to 2000). They found that although abortion rates were at a 24-year low when President Bush took office, that trend appears to have reversed.

Michigan's rate increased by 11.3 percent from 2000 to 2003, and Kentucky's by 3.2 percent. The number of abortions in Colorado went from 4,463 in 2001 to 9,852 in 2003. The number even went up in the President's home state of Texas.

In fact, of the 16 states for which data were available, only seven showed a decrease. And since most of the data came from conservative Midwestern states (with better reporting systems), Stassen thinks the national picture would be far more alarming.

As an ardent pro-lifer, he is alarmed. Stassen contends that the abortion rate is directly tied to economic and social conditions, and that women are more likely to terminate a pregnancy if they are unemployed, unmarried, and without adequate health insurance.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/editorial/10149899.htm (registration required)

Source: http://www.pubtheo.com/page.asp?pid=1374

I got this from my date. That's what I was saying again, again and again in politic debate with conservatives/neocons.. They are attacking on wrong problem and used the wrong solution. Remember coat-hangers? Many victims from coat-hangers & rapes? That's what will happen. Women are the one who will suffer.

Edit: I want to use my date's quote: Bush Voters have been calling liberals 'baby killers'... it is our turn to call Bush voters 'women-killers' from now.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
Abortion rates have increased under George W. Bush.

"...Stassen contends that the abortion rate is directly tied to economic and social conditions, and that women are more likely to terminate a pregnancy if they are unemployed, unmarried, and without adequate health insurance..."

Just because event "A" happens during the same time as event "B" doesn't prove a correlation of cause and effect.

Last edited:
Reba said:
Just because event "A" happens during the same time as event "B" doesn't prove a correlation of cause and effect.

The reason most women have abortions is because they are promiscuous. They (and their guys) just want their pleasure without any responsibility. They don't have enough self-control to wait until marriage to have a sexual relationship.
Um, I suggest you reread a bit. It is economy. E-C-O-N-O-M-Y. How can you support your baby if you and your husband lose your job to some corporations and couldn't find any job since under Bush's term, job creation rate is quite low, in fact it is record low. There are plenty evidences & studies float thru internet and newspapers that abortion rates does skyrocketed under Bush's term while abortion rates were decreasing under Clinton's term, thanks to his wonderful economy policies. I just don't see how can you not see that. I just don't know how. Well, we will see more in next four years.

But still, either economy (fact) or your 'opinion', women are going to get killed. We are waiting for you people to play the blame game as usual.

Reba said:
The reason most women have abortions is because they are promiscuous. They (and their guys) just want their pleasure without any responsibility. They don't have enough self-control to wait until marriage to have a sexual relationship.
I want to make a separate post for that. Your logic is severely flawed. Why not that happen under Clinton's term? Why does abortion rate got decreased under Clinton's term, not Reagan or Sr. Bush?

I have to say again, your logic is severely flawed.

Reba said:

I agree with that. My grandparents had 5 children. They were always poor, but always had a way to maintain their children and keep them tidy.

I totally agree it has to do with promiscuity. It's so lame that women don't take responsibility of what happens to them.

IMO, the economy or money should not be the controlling factor in just playing around. Its all about personal responsibility.

*sigh* my friend, moderate republican is right. People just do not see that way. *shrugs* I am going to leave on that.

Reba said:

i disagree with u on this Reba -- NOT all women who have had abortions are "promiscuous" :roll: -- they have their reasons for having an abortion -- no money, not ready for child -- remmy CONDOMS are not always safe -- they CAN break! birth control methods are the same -- they CAN inadvertly get a woman preggy :roll:

Magatsu said:
Um, I suggest you reread a bit. It is economy. E-C-O-N-O-M-Y. How can you support your baby if you and your husband lose your job ...
If a woman can't "afford" a baby, then she tells the man to zip up his trousers until they can. If they can't afford the children they already have, they don't kill them too, do they?

Last edited:
ravensteve1961 said:
If a woman cant afford her baby put it up for adoption.
There are many, many couples waiting for babies to adopt. They would love to adopt every baby available.

there are also TOO many OLDER and disabled children due to TOO MANY PEOPLE that wants "perfect" BABIES those under a year old! those older children also needs good stable homes and they dont get it cuz NOBODY wants to adopt older children! i feel bad for the older/disabled kids who were dumped at children's homes and/or to the state and abandoned then being raised by the sytem end up in a life being put in so many various foster homes without stable love, support and encouragement -- so yea i am all for abortion being legal and a woman's right to choose period

Fly Free said:
i disagree with u on this Reba -- NOT all women who have had abortions are "promiscuous" :roll: -- they have their reasons for having an abortion -- no money, not ready for child -- remmy CONDOMS are not always safe -- they CAN break! birth control methods are the same -- they CAN inadvertly get a woman preggy :roll:

Yeah, I think we're talking about women who aren't married or even thinking of having children but only sex. If women say they are ready to have sex, then they should be responsible if condoms break or birth control pills do nothing to prevent a child.

There are many, many couples waiting for babies to adopt. They would love to adopt every baby available.

Sure, but there are children who end up not being adopted and dumped from foster homes to foster homes. They don't always seem happy when that happens to them. They prefer to be adopted. There are parents who grieve for years for placing them in adoption. They feel so guilty. I couldn't do that. If women are not ready at all or can't keep in mind that there's always a possibility of ending up pregnant regardless, then women should keep their legs crossed including men if they can't handle children. It's no one's problem that they get pregnant for choosing sex. I know that's harsh...but what's to whine about? It's the nature of sex.

Wallet's going dry? Why not go solo?

Fly Free said:
there are also TOO many OLDER and disabled children due to TOO MANY PEOPLE that wants "perfect" BABIES those under a year old! those older children also needs good stable homes and they dont get it cuz NOBODY wants to adopt older children!
Not true! I know many couples who specifically want older and "special needs" children.

The reason many children are left in foster care, is that the birth family or the agency won't release the children for adoption. They are stuck in the foster system. I know about several families who want to adopt their foster children, but the birth families won't allow it, or the state won't allow it.

Also, adoption is a very expensive process. Many more families would be willing to adopt if they could get some financial help.

There are over half a million children waiting to be adopted. In an ideal world, all children will be adopted, but we do not live in an ideal world. We must face harsh reality, and that means facing the truth---a LOT of children will never be adopted because they are too old, have emotional/physical needs, etc., and if they make abortion illegal, then the number will increase.
Just google for the facts, just type in "too many children awaiting adoption."

Beowulf said:
There are over half a million children waiting to be adopted. In an ideal world, all children will be adopted, but we do not live in an ideal world. We must face harsh reality, and that means facing the truth---a LOT of children will never be adopted because they are too old, have emotional/physical needs, etc., and if they make abortion illegal, then the number will increase."
The older children waiting in foster homes have nothing to do with aborted babies. Making abortion illegal would not change the status of those children. They are stuck in the foster system because of bureaucratic red tape, lack of funds for adoptive couples, birth parents who refuse to release the children, inefficient social service agencies, etc. People want to adopt those children, but they are prevented by those obstacles. There are so many stupid rules that prevent adoptions. Some examples are, white couples not allowed to adopt black children, or non-tribe members are not allowed to adopt Native American children, or families that already have birth children are not allowed to adopt, or a child is not released for adoption because the dad, who is in prison for life, refuses to sign permission. True situations.

If you think that there are too many babies and children waiting to be adopted, why do Americans go to hurge expense and trouble to go overseas to adopt?

Last edited:
Back