Hello from Chicago!

HungryGhost

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. Um, yea, sooo I’m Helen and I'm clearly not used to introducing myself on forums like this haha.
For starters, I can hear.
Why am I here? Ok, so this is kind of a long story and I totally understand if you don’t read further; I am a fiction writer. I began writing a teen book about a year ago and what started out as something of little depth began to morph into something very meaningful to me personally. It is a story of silence, but not in the literal sense. My main character is deaf and it is written from his point of view. So naturally, I began researching the deaf community in my area and I connected with some really awesome girls who have a lot in common with myself. We chat all the time although I do not speak ASL, not well enough to actually say anything important, but I have been able to communicate with them through email. I am currently learning ASL but I am no where near the level of actually conversing yet. :/ My friends have really opened up to me about their issues with living in a “hearing world” and the oppression that comes with being deaf in this society. I wanted to find other groups that discussed these types of issues and this group was mentioned by one of my friends. So here I am! Nice to meet you all!!!

Helen

I used to live near Chicago for 6 years.

:welcome:
Chicago is an amazing city, but I don't know if I can handle another winter gah. And my neighborhood is becoming more and more pricey. :/
San Fran seems so much nicer! XD

Chicago is an amazing city, but I don't know if I can handle another winter gah. And my neighborhood is becoming more and more pricey. :/
San Fran seems so much nicer! XD

San Francisco is much nicer and pricier. :D

but we have much things to do here for free (hiking, surfing, biking, etc) and the weather is warm and beautiful.

Welcome!

(For your book, nobody "speaks" ASL. It is signed.)

but we have much things to do here for free (hiking, surfing, biking, etc) and the weather is warm and beautiful.

I miss not living in Ca. ! You could just about have a garden all year long .

Hi :wave: !

It's so much nicer! The last time I was there I was so in awe with everything that I walked all the way to the ocean and had to limp my way back, eek. They don't make hills like that in the Midwest, I can't even imagine biking up those things, gah. And then I met some guy dancing in the street wearing only his thong; it was a life changing moment. lol.
Chicago is meh.

This.
FvKyA.gif

It's so much nicer! The last time I was there I was so in awe with everything that I walked all the way to the ocean and had to limp my way back, eek. They don't make hills like that in the Midwest, I can't even imagine biking up those things, gah. And then I met some guy dancing in the street wearing only his thong; it was a life changing moment. lol.
Chicago is meh.

Since you mentioned Chicago, Austin, why are you in Chicago during the winter time? :lol:

Welcome to the Ghosts Club :) I am a writer, and HOH too. Yesterday I applied for a position in Chicago and was wondering if it is good for artists and deaf/hoh people there. From what you say, it sounds more interesting place than the town I live in. By the way, most of the literature is deaf, since it gives more attention to images rather than to sounds. I wish I could write a book with detailed explanation of sounds :)

Since you mentioned Chicago, Austin, why are you in Chicago during the winter time? :lol:

I keep asking myself that same question. My business was started here in Chicago and its taken a little more time to make the transition to Austin. Honestly, I can kind of work where ever but this winter I ended up staying in the midwest. :/ I will be in Austin next month for SXSW, I can't wait to get out of this Igloo I call home. Hopefully, if this summer goes well, I will be able to move there by the fall. *fingers crossed*

Welcome to the Ghosts Club :) I am a writer, and HOH too. Yesterday I applied for a position in Chicago and was wondering if it is good for artists and deaf/hoh people there. From what you say, it sounds more interesting place than the town I live in. By the way, most of the literature is deaf, since it gives more attention to images rather than to sounds. I wish I could write a book with detailed explanation of sounds :)

Hey fellow writer. :D
Chicago is great for artist of all kinds! Although I am not well versed in the deaf/hoh culture, I have met some really great ladies who are very active in the community. I do know that there are a ton of hearing programs and even free ASL classes all over the city.
Even though I complain about the winter, Chicago is so amazing and so alive during the warmer months, with street festivals and free events everywhere you turn. I will truly miss it when I move away. The area that I live in (Logan Square) used to be a little patchy when I first moved in, like six years ago, but now it's very artsy; it's pretty much the place to be haha. We have these awesome beer-arcades and speakeasies, omg it's amazing.:laugh2: Message me and I can give you a list of trendy places to check out!
I think it's great that you're a writer, especially being HoH! Your perspective of the world would broaden the minds of your readers and I think we need more writers like you to push people into thinking beyond themselves. Literature is losing its meaning in our modern society, especially with the youth, I fear a lot of writers are selling out to make it rich. *sighs*
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your new job and writing career! XD

Hey fellow writer. :D
Chicago is great for artist of all kinds! Although I am not well versed in the deaf/hoh culture, I have met some really great ladies who are very active in the community. I do know that there are a ton of hearing programs and even free ASL classes all over the city.
Even though I complain about the winter, Chicago is so amazing and so alive during the warmer months, with street festivals and free events everywhere you turn. I will truly miss it when I move away. The area that I live in (Logan Square) used to be a little patchy when I first moved in, like six years ago, but now it's very artsy; it's pretty much the place to be haha. We have these awesome beer-arcades and speakeasies, omg it's amazing.:laugh2: Message me and I can give you a list of trendy places to check out!
I think it's great that you're a writer, especially being HoH! Your perspective of the world would broaden the minds of your readers and I think we need more writers like you to push people into thinking beyond themselves. Literature is losing its meaning in our modern society, especially with the youth, I fear a lot of writers are selling out to make it rich. *sighs*
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your new job and writing career! XD

Thanks, I am just little confused since I don't know if one can be creative and work for the government at the same time (Gogol & others have wrote a lot on how depressing is for the artists to work for the government :) But, there's no money for writers (especially for disabled ones) and every job is welcomed nowadays... let's see if I will have luck with my applications :)

I would like to move all the time and do whatever jobs, since traveling and new people seem to be the greatest inspirations for writers, but nowadays moving is not easy for anyone, especially for disabled people.

Back