Marlee Matlin at Superbowl 50

You see million of hearing people do crab theory, why crab theory apply to deaf people? :lol:

I do not like Marlee Matlin long time ago since she is a long time supporter of oralism.

I have been frowned on her for years but I don't hate her, anyway.

You see million of hearing people do crab theory, why crab theory apply to deaf people? :lol:

I do not like Marlee Matlin long time ago since she is a long time supporter of oralism.

I never heard of it before. I probably should be embarrassed, but one person can't know everything.

I was too. CBS is too dependent on the live stream via internet- that's where they put the view of Marlee on. I think I mentioned elsewhere that's what I did last year- had the CBS site up for live stream and the TV on at the same time. Only saw the ASL 'singer' online.

Really stupid on their part.

Marlee Matlin disappointed by Super Bowl TV snub

Deaf actress MARLEE MATLIN was “genuinely surprised” to discover her stint signing for LADY GAGA at the Super Bowl was cut from the TV broadcast.

The Oscar winner took on the job of translating the singer’s performance of the U.S. National Anthem into American Sign Language on behalf of the National Association of the Deaf during the football extravaganza in Santa Clara, California on Sunday.

However, Matlin later found out her role had not been featured in the TV broadcast, and she fears millions of hearing-impaired viewers missed out.

“(I had a) huge number of responses on social media by fans – thousands of deaf, hard of hearing and hearing alike – who were disappointed in the decision to not show me signing during the TV broadcast,” she tells Etonline.com.

“Interestingly, in the stadium, the video of me signing was visible 100 per cent of the time… but for whatever reason, it was not visible during the TV broadcast.”

Matlin goes on to insist organisers of events such as the Super Bowl should do more to include deaf viewers.

“With 35 million deaf and hard of hearing people in the U.S., their families and friends, and a focus on diversity that’s been a hot topic in the news, I was genuinely surprised that the broadcast didn’t feature me in a split screen or square,” she adds. “But ultimately, that decision was not mine to make. I’m just so sorry for the millions of people watching who would’ve benefited from seeing the national anthem and America the Beautiful signed, just as it was visible in the stadium.”

However, the actress has nothing but praise for her co-performer Lady Gaga, and has even offered to teach the singer sign language.

“She was so lovely. When she finished the national anthem, I turned to her and signed, ‘I love you,’ and she signed it right back,” Matlin explains. “Later in her dressing room, she and I had a chance to speak, and I told her my kids were big fans of hers. She couldn’t have been nicer. I told her anytime she wanted to learn to sign to give (me) a call, and she said, ‘Yes!’”

http://blog.chron.com/celebritybuzz/2016/02/marlee-matlin-disappointed-by-super-bowl-tv-snub/

It stated there are 35 million deafies...and Yes, I was disappointed also...Mad would be another good word for it. ....

Even people that do not know sign (with or without any hearing loss) are probably also mad about this kind of treatment if they find out about it.

But I don't think I am alone when I say that not everyone that is deaf is comfortable with the term "deafie". I fall somewhere in between and also feel insulted by the term "hearie" they both come through as a "put down" to me. I know I seem to be a minority on this site but every now and then I can't resist stating how I feel.

Even people that do not know sign (with or without any hearing loss) are probably also mad about this kind of treatment if they find out about it.

But I don't think I am alone when I say that not everyone that is deaf is comfortable with the term "deafie". I fall somewhere in between and also feel insulted by the term "hearie" they both come through as a "put down" to me. I know I seem to be a minority on this site but every now and then I can't resist stating how I feel.

Being deaf for over 50 years, I still do lipread...and had to when MsGaGa was singing....One person quoted that she was "in tears" because she could not hear the song....as she too, was late deafened....:hmm:...the only reason for my tears was being Patriotic...

It does not bother me at all to be called a deafie....or to call someone who can hear a hearie....

I grew up oral mainstream and didn't come into the deaf world until college. 'deafie' never bothered me much either.

The only way I could understand Lady GaGa was the captions but even that was hard because the captions are TINY on my sister's big 42" tv for some reason. Or maybe it's my vision....(not liking that one).

I grew up oral mainstream and didn't come into the deaf world until college. 'deafie' never bothered me much either.

The only way I could understand Lady GaGa was the captions but even that was hard because the captions are TINY on my sister's big 42" tv for some reason. Or maybe it's my vision....(not liking that one).

Transpose the numbers that make up the size of her TV and you will know my biggest one (24"). But the point is that I have noticed a difference in size from program to program much more than it used to be. Also, if the TV is set for different fonts it can make a difference in how easy I find it to read even when it is set to the same size. You can also check to see how a particular TV handles analog vs digital. I have more than one TV (in different rooms) and how they handle what you would think are similar settings really varies.

Transpose the numbers that make up the size of her TV and you will know my biggest one (24"). But the point is that I have noticed a difference in size from program to program much more than it used to be. Also, if the TV is set for different fonts it can make a difference in how easy I find it to read even when it is set to the same size. You can also check to see how a particular TV handles analog vs digital. I have more than one TV (in different rooms) and how they handle what you would think are similar settings really varies.
I am not sure how old their tv is but the fonts/size setting is probably why it was so tiny. One of these days I may have to figure out how to sneak in there and see if I can adjust it lol. It may well be my vision too because I've had trouble with the TV downstairs for the last 7ish years too. My tv is a 27" (I think); only reason why I can actually read the captions on that one is because I'm less than a foot away from it lol.

Back