Pit Bull to Join New York Police Force’s K9 Unit

-as an aside, in a way- jezie - u have a Rottie? -

I attended a celebration last week at our animal shelter. This is the shelter where I volunteer in behavior and training<particular program called *Mod Squad*> with some of the dogs, including so many wonderful Pitties. The celebration was marking the 1000th Mod Squad dog adopted in the last month or two, throughout the 5 years of the program - so the program has had 1000 successful "forever home" dog adoptions! At the party was a Powerpoint presentation that kept scrolling through the various dogs who've come through - often pictures sent in from their new homes.

One of the pictures was of one of my favorite dogs, who was a very sweet, mellow soul, a bit shy - gorgeous black and white large male bully type dog with a very soft face, soft eyes....he really got to me. In one of the "home" pictures of him, he's sitting on dad's lap. Dad is sitting in an office chair and the dog is sitting on his lap, with his head all cradled into the man's neck; another is of him in bed with the guy.
:D

Yes, I have a gorgeous rottie... But I may be a bit bias on that note... She is a sweetie, named Stien, at 2 years old she still has a little bit of growing to do. Rottweilers are an awesome breed... :) I also have a husky that adopted me... I named her Felon... She earned her name lol but she is awesome... I also have her daughter who is 16 weeks today... :D Hopefully no more dogs claim me... Maybe I will throw a picture up sometime... I know there is one of Felon somewhere in here... Not to derail too far, but what kind do you have?

:wave: I asked because Ive been in the breed for many years- we live with two females, our 2nd and 3rd Rotties. They're half-sisters. My big girl is 8 and the baby is 5. This is a set of Flicker photos from about 4 years ago ://www.flickr.com/photos/10458905@N02/sets/72157624426266984/comments/?rb=1

we also had a very mellow <in comparison> Black Lab through rescue, with our first Rottie.

Our neighbor at our previous house had a sweet elderly female Husky. Also beautiful dogs.
Seems you have a wonderful family

Would love to see any pic's :D

:wave: I asked because Ive been in the breed for many years- we live with two females, our 2nd and 3rd Rotties. They're half-sisters. My big girl is 8 and the baby is 5. This is a set of Flicker photos from about 4 years ago ://www.flickr.com/photos/10458905@N02/sets/72157624426266984/comments/?rb=1

we also had a very mellow <in comparison> Black Lab through rescue, with our first Rottie.

Our neighbor at our previous house had a sweet elderly female Husky. Also beautiful dogs.
Seems you have a wonderful family

Would love to see any pic's :D

Oh wow such pretty babies :D hmm have to look or just take some... :)
I have had rotties for the last 15 years. I had a boy and girl before by baby now. My boy had his natural tail. I love their tails and it is sad that breeders still dock them. I normally rescue all my pets, but I spoke with a breeder and got my boy from her when she agreed not to cut any of their tails for me. :) Have to get my computer up to show you. Gorgeous babies though...

I get nervous around rotti I know they spose be good dogs but seen them used as weapons by irresponsible people

:ty:Jezie, I love my girls! The baby goes in for ACL surgery tomorrow...
I love seeing the tailed dogs; unfortunately to compete in conformation and considered part of legitimate breeding practices here in the U.S, breeders are more or less forced to dock...many AKC judges will not judge a tailed dog. Or they don't know how to judge a tailed dog in relation to those that are docked. It's a huge controversy. Our breeders also compete and judge in Sieger, though, as well as multiple dog sports.

When we first started with Rotties we so new to the breed that we wanted a reputable mentor who could provide us with a lot of history and background, which is why we stuck with a breeder as opposed to rescue <where such information isn't always available>.

Look forward to seeing your pictures!:D

I love seeing the tailed dogs; unfortunately to compete in conformation and considered part of legitimate breeding practices here in the U.S, breeders are more or less forced to dock...many AKC judges will not judge a tailed dog. Or they don't know how to judge a tailed dog in relation to those that are docked. It's a huge controversy. Our breeders also compete and judge in Sieger, though, as well as multiple dog sports.

When we first started with Rotties we so new to the breed that we wanted a reputable mentor who could provide us with a lot of history and background, which is why we stuck with a breeder as opposed to rescue <where such information isn't always available>.

I once read the reason dogs tails were docked was to show they were working dogs and the owners didn't have to pay taxes on their dogs.
I don't recall where I read this or if it's true. Have you heard of this before?

That is sad. Many nations have or are making docking g illegal and/or nonconforming. Granted I am more informed on Germany's standards so... Take it with a grain of salt.

I once read the reason dogs tails were docked was tom show they were working dogs and the owners didn't have to pay taxes on their dogs.
I don't recall where I read this or if it's true. Have you heard of this before?

I have not heard this before. The main reasons for docking that I am familiar with were to keep the tail from being used against or causing injury to working dogs.

I have not heard this before. The main reasons for docking that I am familiar with were to keep the tail from being used against or causing injury to working dogs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(dog) UGH ! the link won't I will try to find it again

"Historically, tail docking was thought to prevent rabies, strengthen the back, increase the animal's speed, and prevent injuries when ratting, fighting, and baiting.[2] In early Georgian times[clarification needed] in the United Kingdom a tax was levied upon working dogs with tails, so many types of dogs were docked to avoid this tax.[2] The tax was repealed in 1796 but that did not stop the practice from persisting" OMG ! People thought it keep dogs from getting rabies . I guess the world was flat then ! LOL!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about docking of dogs' tails. For other animals, see Docking (animal). For other uses, see Docking (disambiguation).

Boxers with docked tails. The dog in front also has cropped ears.
Docking is the removal of portions of an animal's tail. While docking and bobbing are more commonly used to refer to removal of the tail, the term cropping[1] is used in reference to the ears. Tail docking occurs in one of two ways. The first involves constricting the blood supply to the tail with a rubber ligature for a few days until the tail falls off. The second involves the severance of the tail with surgical scissors or a scalpel.[2] The length to which tails are docked varies by breed, and is often specified in the breed standard.

At least 17 dog breeds have naturally occurring bob tail lines. These appear similar to docked dogs but are a distinct naturally occurring genotype.

Contents [hide]
1 History 1.1 Purpose
1.2 Modern practice
1.3 Criticism
1.4 Influence of kennel clubs

2 Legal status 2.1 United Kingdom
2.2 Legal status of dog tail docking and ear cropping by country

3 See also
4 References
5 External links 5.1 Scientific research
5.2 Pro-docking organizations
5.3 Anti-docking organizations

History[edit]

Purpose[edit]

Historically, tail docking was thought to prevent rabies, strengthen the back, increase the animal's speed, and prevent injuries when ratting, fighting, and baiting.[2] In early Georgian times[clarification needed] in the United Kingdom a tax was levied upon working dogs with tails, so many types of dogs were docked to avoid this tax.[2] The tax was repealed in 1796 but that did not stop the practice from persisting.

Tail docking is done in modern times either for prophylactic, therapeutic, or cosmetic purposes. For dogs that work in the field, such as some hunting dogs and herding dogs, tails can collect burrs and foxtails, causing pain and infection and, due to the tail's wagging, may be subject to abrasion or other injury while moving through dense brush or thickets.

Modern practice[edit]

Docking to puppies fewer than 10 to 14 days old is routinely carried out by both breeders and veterinarians without anesthesia.[3] Opponents of these procedures state that most tail dockings are done for aesthetic reasons rather than health concerns and are unnecessarily painful for the dog. They point out that even non-working show or pet dogs are routinely docked. As a result, tail defects that docking proponents claim makes docking necessary in the first place are perpetuated in the breeds.[clarification needed] They point to the many breeds of working dogs with long tails that are not traditionally docked, including English Pointers, Setters, Herding dogs, and Foxhounds.

Criticism[edit]

Robert Wansborough argued in a 1996 paper[4] that docking tails puts dogs at a disadvantage in several ways. First, dogs use their tails to communicate with other dogs (and with people); a dog without a tail might be significantly handicapped in conveying fear, caution, aggression, playfulness, and so on.

Certain breeds use their tails as rudders when swimming, and possibly for balance when running, so active dogs with docked tails might be at a disadvantage compared to their tailed peers. In 2007, Stephen Leaver, a graduate student at the University of Victoria, published a paper on tail docking which found that tail length was important in the transmission of social cues. The study found that dogs with shorter tails (docked tails) would be approached with caution, as if the approaching dog was unsure of the emotional state of the docked dog. The study goes on to suggest that dogs with docked tails may grow up to be more aggressive. The reasoning postulated by Tom Reimchen, UVic Biologist and supervisor of the study, was that dogs who grew up without being able to efficiently transmit social cues would grow up to be more anti-social and thus more aggressive.[5]

Wansborough also investigated seven years of records from an urban veterinary practice to demonstrate that undocked tails result in less harm than docked tails.

Influence of kennel clubs[edit]

Critics point out that kennel clubs with breed standards that do not make allowance for uncropped or undocked dogs put pressure on owners and breeders to continue the practice. Although the American Kennel Club (AKC) says that it has no rules that require docking or that make undocked animals ineligible for the show ring,[6] standards for many breeds put undocked animals at a disadvantage for the conformation show ring. The American breed standard for boxers, for example, recommends that an undocked tail be "severely penalized."[7]

The AKC position is that ear cropping and tail docking are "acceptable practices integral to defining and preserving breed character and/or enhancing good health,"[8] even though the practice is currently opposed by the American Veterinary Medical Association.[9]

Legal status[edit]

Today, many countries ban cropping and docking because they consider the practices unnecessary, painful, cruel or mutilation. In Europe, the cropping of ears is prohibited in all countries that have ratified the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals. Some countries that ratified the convention made exceptions for tail docking.

United Kingdom[edit]

Show dogs are no longer docked in the United Kingdom. A dog docked before 28 March 2007 in Wales and 6 April 2007 in England may continue to be shown at all shows in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland throughout its life. A dog docked on, or after, the above dates, regardless of where it was docked, may not be shown at shows in England and Wales where the public is charged a fee for admission. Where a working dog has been docked in England and Wales under the respective regulations, however, it may be shown where the public is charged a fee, so long as it is shown “only to demonstrate its working ability”. It will thus be necessary to show working dogs in such a way as to demonstrate their working ability and not conformity to a standard. A dog legally docked in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, or abroad may be shown at any show in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

In England and Wales, ear cropping is illegal, and no dog with cropped ears can take part in any Kennel Club event (including agility and other non-conformation events). Tail docking is also illegal, except for a few working breeds; this exemption applies only when carried out by a registered veterinary surgeon.

The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS), the regulatory body for veterinary surgeons in the United Kingdom, has stated they consider tail docking to be "an unjustified mutilation and unethical unless done for therapeutic or acceptable prophylactic reasons".[citation needed] In 1995 a veterinary surgeon was brought before the RCVS disciplinary council for "disgraceful professional conduct" for carrying out cosmetic docking. The surgeon claimed that the docking was performed to prevent future injuries, and the case was dismissed for lack of evidence otherwise. Although cosmetic docking is still considered unacceptable by the RCVS, no further disciplinary action has been taken against vets performing docking.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 makes the docking of dogs' tails a criminal offence, except for working dogs such as those used by the police force, the military, rescue services, pest control, and those used in connection with lawful animal shooting. Three options were presented to Parliament in March 2006 with Parliament opting for the second:
An outright ban on docking dogs' tails (opposed by a majority of 278 to 267)
A ban on docking dogs' tails with an exception for working dogs (supported by a majority of 476 to 63)
Retention of the status quo.

Those convicted of unlawful docking are liable to a fine of up to £20,000, up to 51 weeks of imprisonment or both.

In Northern Ireland legislation known as Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 2011made Tail Docking Illegal except for certain working dogs. .[10]

In Scotland docking of any breed is illegal. The Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 contains provisions prohibiting the mutilation of domesticated animals.

Legal status of dog tail docking and ear cropping by country[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(dog) UGH ! the link won't I will try to find it again

"Historically, tail docking was thought to prevent rabies, strengthen the back, increase the animal's speed, and prevent injuries when ratting, fighting, and baiting.[2] In early Georgian times[clarification needed] in the United Kingdom a tax was levied upon working dogs with tails, so many types of dogs were docked to avoid this tax.[2] The tax was repealed in 1796 but that did not stop the practice from persisting" OMG ! People thought it keep dogs from getting rabies . I guess the world was flat then ! LOL!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about docking of dogs' tails. For other animals, see Docking (animal). For other uses, see Docking (disambiguation).

Boxers with docked tails. The dog in front also has cropped ears.
Docking is the removal of portions of an animal's tail. While docking and bobbing are more commonly used to refer to removal of the tail, the term cropping[1] is used in reference to the ears. Tail docking occurs in one of two ways. The first involves constricting the blood supply to the tail with a rubber ligature for a few days until the tail falls off. The second involves the severance of the tail with surgical scissors or a scalpel.[2] The length to which tails are docked varies by breed, and is often specified in the breed standard.

At least 17 dog breeds have naturally occurring bob tail lines. These appear similar to docked dogs but are a distinct naturally occurring genotype.

Contents [hide]
1 History 1.1 Purpose
1.2 Modern practice
1.3 Criticism
1.4 Influence of kennel clubs

2 Legal status 2.1 United Kingdom
2.2 Legal status of dog tail docking and ear cropping by country

3 See also
4 References
5 External links 5.1 Scientific research
5.2 Pro-docking organizations
5.3 Anti-docking organizations

History[edit]

Purpose[edit]

Historically, tail docking was thought to prevent rabies, strengthen the back, increase the animal's speed, and prevent injuries when ratting, fighting, and baiting.[2] In early Georgian times[clarification needed] in the United Kingdom a tax was levied upon working dogs with tails, so many types of dogs were docked to avoid this tax.[2] The tax was repealed in 1796 but that did not stop the practice from persisting.

Tail docking is done in modern times either for prophylactic, therapeutic, or cosmetic purposes. For dogs that work in the field, such as some hunting dogs and herding dogs, tails can collect burrs and foxtails, causing pain and infection and, due to the tail's wagging, may be subject to abrasion or other injury while moving through dense brush or thickets.

Modern practice[edit]

Docking to puppies fewer than 10 to 14 days old is routinely carried out by both breeders and veterinarians without anesthesia.[3] Opponents of these procedures state that most tail dockings are done for aesthetic reasons rather than health concerns and are unnecessarily painful for the dog. They point out that even non-working show or pet dogs are routinely docked. As a result, tail defects that docking proponents claim makes docking necessary in the first place are perpetuated in the breeds.[clarification needed] They point to the many breeds of working dogs with long tails that are not traditionally docked, including English Pointers, Setters, Herding dogs, and Foxhounds.

Criticism[edit]

Robert Wansborough argued in a 1996 paper[4] that docking tails puts dogs at a disadvantage in several ways. First, dogs use their tails to communicate with other dogs (and with people); a dog without a tail might be significantly handicapped in conveying fear, caution, aggression, playfulness, and so on.

Certain breeds use their tails as rudders when swimming, and possibly for balance when running, so active dogs with docked tails might be at a disadvantage compared to their tailed peers. In 2007, Stephen Leaver, a graduate student at the University of Victoria, published a paper on tail docking which found that tail length was important in the transmission of social cues. The study found that dogs with shorter tails (docked tails) would be approached with caution, as if the approaching dog was unsure of the emotional state of the docked dog. The study goes on to suggest that dogs with docked tails may grow up to be more aggressive. The reasoning postulated by Tom Reimchen, UVic Biologist and supervisor of the study, was that dogs who grew up without being able to efficiently transmit social cues would grow up to be more anti-social and thus more aggressive.[5]

Wansborough also investigated seven years of records from an urban veterinary practice to demonstrate that undocked tails result in less harm than docked tails.

Influence of kennel clubs[edit]

Critics point out that kennel clubs with breed standards that do not make allowance for uncropped or undocked dogs put pressure on owners and breeders to continue the practice. Although the American Kennel Club (AKC) says that it has no rules that require docking or that make undocked animals ineligible for the show ring,[6] standards for many breeds put undocked animals at a disadvantage for the conformation show ring. The American breed standard for boxers, for example, recommends that an undocked tail be "severely penalized."[7]

The AKC position is that ear cropping and tail docking are "acceptable practices integral to defining and preserving breed character and/or enhancing good health,"[8] even though the practice is currently opposed by the American Veterinary Medical Association.[9]

Legal status[edit]

Today, many countries ban cropping and docking because they consider the practices unnecessary, painful, cruel or mutilation. In Europe, the cropping of ears is prohibited in all countries that have ratified the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals. Some countries that ratified the convention made exceptions for tail docking.

United Kingdom[edit]

Show dogs are no longer docked in the United Kingdom. A dog docked before 28 March 2007 in Wales and 6 April 2007 in England may continue to be shown at all shows in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland throughout its life. A dog docked on, or after, the above dates, regardless of where it was docked, may not be shown at shows in England and Wales where the public is charged a fee for admission. Where a working dog has been docked in England and Wales under the respective regulations, however, it may be shown where the public is charged a fee, so long as it is shown “only to demonstrate its working ability”. It will thus be necessary to show working dogs in such a way as to demonstrate their working ability and not conformity to a standard. A dog legally docked in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, or abroad may be shown at any show in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

In England and Wales, ear cropping is illegal, and no dog with cropped ears can take part in any Kennel Club event (including agility and other non-conformation events). Tail docking is also illegal, except for a few working breeds; this exemption applies only when carried out by a registered veterinary surgeon.

The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS), the regulatory body for veterinary surgeons in the United Kingdom, has stated they consider tail docking to be "an unjustified mutilation and unethical unless done for therapeutic or acceptable prophylactic reasons".[citation needed] In 1995 a veterinary surgeon was brought before the RCVS disciplinary council for "disgraceful professional conduct" for carrying out cosmetic docking. The surgeon claimed that the docking was performed to prevent future injuries, and the case was dismissed for lack of evidence otherwise. Although cosmetic docking is still considered unacceptable by the RCVS, no further disciplinary action has been taken against vets performing docking.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 makes the docking of dogs' tails a criminal offence, except for working dogs such as those used by the police force, the military, rescue services, pest control, and those used in connection with lawful animal shooting. Three options were presented to Parliament in March 2006 with Parliament opting for the second:
An outright ban on docking dogs' tails (opposed by a majority of 278 to 267)
A ban on docking dogs' tails with an exception for working dogs (supported by a majority of 476 to 63)
Retention of the status quo.

Those convicted of unlawful docking are liable to a fine of up to £20,000, up to 51 weeks of imprisonment or both.

In Northern Ireland legislation known as Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 2011made Tail Docking Illegal except for certain working dogs. .[10]

In Scotland docking of any breed is illegal. The Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 contains provisions prohibiting the mutilation of domesticated animals.

Legal status of dog tail docking and ear cropping by country[edit]

Oh wow... That is interesting... And sad... Here are some links for the history of tail docking... It does vary between breeds, purpose or job of the breed or dog, and social climate at the time.

http://www.cdb.orgg/case4dock.htm

Covers various reasons of tail docking

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/F...sked-questions-about-canine-tail-docking.aspx

This one actually covers more on what you were saying. The time line though says that ancient Romans were the ones to think this... And we'll as advanced as they were, many of the practices can be quite out there :)

Edit... Ah missed much of the last half of your post so kind of repeating you :/

I agree with some of what had been said in the above posts, but it's also important to remember ANY dog can do this, large or small, and of any breed. That's why I don't like the stigma against pit bulls. Shel provided a great example of how wonderful they can be. I've seen her FB photos and that looks to be one happy pit bull. :)

Thanks! Hannah thinks she is a lap dog! lol

:wave:Jezie, WDYS! and Shel,

many if not most of the Pitties I've met and worked with LOVE to cuddle:D

as far as the docking, people I think are becoming slightly more open-minded about it. I really hope we can someday in the U.S. have tailed and docked dogs treated equally in the conformation venue, which is where the majority of the really nasty strife seems to be, and it trickles into other areas.

Here's a gorgeous shot of Aussie <tailed> Rottie Stone, one of the dogs in the kennel of the Belbins in Australia, who also co-breed/work with, our breeder, who is in Canada: http://www.allerhochst-rottweilers.com/our-personal-dogs/males/stone/

:wave:Jezie, WDYS! and Shel,

many if not most of the Pitties I've met and worked with LOVE to cuddle:D

as far as the docking, people I think are becoming slightly more open-minded about it. I really hope we can someday in the U.S. have tailed and docked dogs treated equally in the conformation venue, which is where the majority of the really nasty strife seems to be, and it trickles into other areas.

Here's a gorgeous shot of Aussie <tailed> Rottie Stone, one of the dogs in the kennel of the Belbins in Australia, who also co-breed/work with, our breeder, who is in Canada: http://www.allerhochst-rottweilers.com/our-personal-dogs/males/stone/

Truth about pits... Seems rotties, pits, and many large dogs miss the memo about not being lap dogs. :D question... Have you heard or felt a rottie purr? I love that.

Yes, the bigger guys don't realize their "bigness" :lol: my big girl who is actually at the low-average end for adult female in terms of weight - at about 75 pounds - enjoys sitting on our laps on the beanbag <temporarily replaces sofa in family room>.

Haven't heard of Rottie purr, but Rottie grumble, for sure, all of mine have grumbled and snorted and various "talked". I'll look up that "Rottie purr"

Jezie, don't know if u will see other thread but I wanted to share with you a set of pictures of my first two dogs - probably from about 8 years ago now-http://www.esmondrott.com/cagney.htm

My pittie sunbathing on this beautiful Thanksgiving afternoon. :)

Attachments

• Hannah.jpg
    Hannah.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 6
Jezie, don't know if u will see other thread but I wanted to share with you a set of pictures of my first two dogs - probably from about 8 years ago now-http://www.esmondrott.com/cagney.htm

No I did not see the other thread which is it? I just rebuilt a computer and got it up and going... Should have my hard drive and all transfered and set up. I am just being careful because this drive has every picture and video of my baby girl that passed. So a few more days. :)

Shel- beautiful, she looks so content!:D

Jezie - there was another thread in the "pets" section that has a link to the same set of pictures as the one I posted just above this post - that "esmond" link, which shows my first two dogs-
<it's the thread about my girl having the surgery, one of the last couple of posts- but it's same as what's just above here>

Back