Hard of hearing folk

I sometimes have to have people repeat at work (I work at Chuck E Cheese. It's hella loud) and some people get unnecessarily annoyed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AllDeaf App mobile app

U interviewed that job and u didnt know that you have to work in noisy environment? Did interviewer know u are deaf? Did u lost ur hearing while you still employee of Chuck E. Cheese and did u let ur supervisor know?

I told people I work with and not only did they tell me I don't look hoh, but they scream at me from other rooms or try to talk while i am vacuuming . I can't hear what they say, but they continue talking. It would almost be better to introduce myself as deaf, but many people hear my speech and forget quickly that I need to see lips. I reply 85% of my conversation to be lip reading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I don't see it as a compliment, since that would be encouraging us to hide the fact that we don't hear well. Someone who doesn't manage to hide their hearing problems is NOT a worse person than someone who can. The person who tries to be open about not hearing is likely much more interested in getting the communication to work. If we cannot follow a conversation and people don't notice, it creates isolation and misunderstandings.

I agree. I learned that by being upfront about my hearing loss and how much I can or cant understand with my hearing co workers at my new job that I got last year, they are so much more understanding and willing to make accommodations to meet my communication needs. I do not want to be viewed as someone who is faking my deafness. No f*** way!

I don't take it as involving hiding the fact that we don't hear well but as a compliment that we are communicating well by whatever means we use.

Yea and that leads to people telling me that I am not trying hard enough when I cannot communicate well on some bad days. No thank you...I am upfront with them and tell it straight up that I am deaf and I will never EVER have full access to communication unless it is ASL.

Yea and that leads to people telling me that I am not trying hard enough when I cannot communicate well on some bad days. No thank you...I am upfront with them and tell it straight up that I am deaf and I will never EVER have full access to communication unless it is ASL.

there you go.

Something seems to be getting lost as what I posted is referred to further down this thread. Please go back to my post at #14 for the context of the post that has been quoted.

U interviewed that job and u didnt know that you have to work in noisy environment? Did interviewer know u are deaf? Did u lost ur hearing while you still employee of Chuck E. Cheese and did u let ur supervisor know?

I'm only hoh in my left ear but I function pretty well as a mostly hearing person. I just never realized how annoyed people can be over asking for a repeat. I just want to clarify that I heard you right. I've gotten pretty good at figuring out words I barely hear in loud environments. I don't have a hearing aid but I'm trying to get one. I didn't really bring up that I'm hoh but most people at work know I'm hoh. Doesn't cause too many issues just annoyed customers that I didn't hear them because they talk quiet. The bigger problem at work is my limited Spanish vocabulary when I try to help people who don't speak English. Haha

I don't see it as a compliment, mostly because I have never looked at it that way. But why not just point out the speech instead. Like oh well you speak every well, and I would have not noticed. I feel like saying I don't seem or 'look' hoh is kind of rude. Some time when people tell me I don't look hoh I reply with 'well you didn't look like a jackass, looks are deceiving.'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Yes, exactly. Like am I supposed to be dumb? I just can't hear very well out of one hear. I didn't know there was a certain way I'm supposed to be. The worst is when someone says something to me on my bad side and they think I'm ignoring them.

Yeah to me. Maybe They(hearing) might don't know the difference (HOH) but deafies know. They might think hoh still not deaf. Maybe U might don't wanna tell them that you r deaf or maybe u not make it easy for them understand the difference. They might see you can hear them and they might hear you talk normal without signing. You made them think you are not deaf. They might don't see u wearing hearing aids. they might think u just acting crazy that u can hear but u don't wanna to hear them. If U keep telling them u can hear, then they will generally think you're saying you can hear them. nothing wrong with ur ears. You said you are hoh. You're not deaf. <<<< that What make them (hearing) difficult understand what u mean.

I mean I function well as a mostly hearing person because my right ear doesn't have any loss. It's just annoying when people seem to think hoh people hear basically nothing and can't follow conversations at all. There's different degrees of it and every hoh/Deaf person is different.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AllDeaf App mobile app

I think that is something people forget about. Not ever hoh person is going to be the same, and not ever deaf person is going to be the same. I have meet people, mostly hearing, that are learning asl and think that all hoh and deafies know and are fluent in asl.I tried explaining that to someone once, that not ever deaf person knows asl, and they gave me a dumb look and replied "But it is their language, all deaf people are required to learn it." .......just wow.

I just tell people that I'm HoH, and my left ear is the better. They are usually understanding and compliant.

Back