DO COCHLEAR IMPLANTS PROMOTE CANCER? See cellphone uproar

mimi89

Reaction score
With all the news about the World Health Org. stating that cell phones are probable human carcinogens, does anyone have any concerns in that regard about cochlear implants? Apparently, CI's emit the same type of radiofrequency radiation as cell phones. The WHO report says that cell phone users who use their phones for 1 or 2 hours a day for 10 yrs are at double the usual risk for brain cancer - what about CI implantees who are permanently implanted? Does anyone have any scientific proof that CI's do NOT cause or promote cancer?? Has any study ever been done on this?

who cares, im happy to hear...

whoa that rhymed

but seriously, everyone has a cell on them so its not gonna make any difference

There was no discussion re Cochlear Implants are cancerous> It would be noticed a long time ago. Perhaps the strength of the radio waves probably makes a difference
I am not worried about brain cancer at the moment. Nor should anyone else!

implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

My mother in law has a cochlear implant for years and has been battling a brain tumor for the last 4 years. It had stopped growing thanks to chemo but is now as aggressive as ever. The tumor is developing on the cochlear implant side. I wonder if there are any statistics on the occurrence of brain tumors with cochlear implants.

Cancer or not...it will make no difference. You will be assimilated....one way or another....the multinational profit driven corperations of ci....will see to that...
Regardless of any ramifications..
Born.Deaf...the preasure to drill holes into your baby wll be applied heavy to you..resist, and your a piariah a Deaf miltant.....
Your baby will.be drilled into.......the money is in their bank by the billions....

Cancer or not...it will make no difference. You will be assimilated....one way or another....the multinational profit driven corperations of ci....will see to that...
Regardless of any ramifications..
Born.Deaf...the preasure to drill holes into your baby wll be applied heavy to you..resist, and your a piariah a Deaf miltant.....
Your baby will.be drilled into.......the money is in their bank by the billions....
Bah, we're all already cyborgs anyway Hoichi, with our smart phones and other technologies that augment our abilities. CI isn't that much different, just implanted... How long do you suppose it'll be before consumer tech offers implanted stuff to people?

More seriously though this would worry me slightly, but quality of life vs. risk/longevity is something everyone has to consider for themselves. I am by no means saying that CI can/will/does/should/might improve quality of life, or that not having one/two means you won't have as high quality of a life either.

It all still comes down to personal choice and weighing quality of life vs. the potential risks. If your life is good without it, is it worth it? Everyone has to answer that themselves.

With only 20-30 years of data on CI use and different models coming out all the time with new features there isn't a lot of data, or a lot of studies to show any correlation or lack there of between CIs and brain tumors/cancer. So who knows?

Bah, we're all already cyborgs anyway Hoichi, with our smart phones and other technologies that augment our abilities. CI isn't that much different, just implanted... How long do you suppose it'll be before consumer tech offers implanted stuff to people?

More seriously though this would worry me slightly, but quality of life vs. risk/longevity is something everyone has to consider for themselves. I am by no means saying that CI can/will/does/should/might improve quality of life, or that not having one/two means

you won't have as high quality of a life either.

It all still comes down to personal choice and weighing quality of life vs. the potential risks. If your life is good without it, is it worth it? Everyone has to answer that themselves.

With only 20-30 years of data on CI use and different models coming out all the time with new features there isn't a lot of data, or a lot of studies to show any correlation or lack there of between CIs and brain tumors/cancer. So who knows?

Your just bieng dismissive. Deaf Babies have no cboice..
Stick around this site, and youl come across a fair few who without any choice, where drilled into as babies and have suffered severely due to it, ,but it matters little....our babies will get Inflicted with the drill and a hole in their head. to hell with us them or us. so multi national corportions can reap a profit.
Along with that is the negative affects on our culture, where parents are berrted and preasured to keep their children away from sign lest they "revert to being Deaf',
Its just a "technology of normalization", where the actual data and numbers of how well implanted kids actually do, compared with Deaf kids given the proper resources is ignored...and the only measure is speech...
Hey..
Adults can get another asshole drilled into them for alll i care, but they come for our babies....and thats a line for me and many...
But its irrelavent. What i or any Deaf state on the issue.billion dollor multi nationals will dictate and get what they want...
To hell with us and our cuture.
Its cultural colonialism plain and simple.
As the drill turns.....

Last edited:
As a Nuclear Engineer, I'll weigh in a little on this one.

First, there is a statistical possibility that a cell phone could cause cancerous cells to form, since it does emit microwave radiation, that is just "barely" powerful enough to cause harm when living tissue is in direct contact for long periods of time. When cellular tissue is irradiated by some sort of ionizing radiation, it can have four possible outcomes.

1. Nothing happens. Usually because the amount of radiation is too small.

2. The cell is damaged, and then repairs itself with no ill effects.

3. The cell repairs itself and is mutated, like a cancerous cell.

4. The cell dies, and scar tissue is left behind.

This is why studies continue in ths possibility of cell phone usage and links to cancer.

Now, cochlear implants emit such a minute fraction of radio waves through the skin, and at such low power level compared to a cell phone, which transmits its signal for up to miles away, the possibility of cellular damage from the magnetic driver is beyond worth calculating.

You'd probably have a higher statistical possibility of being struck by lightning.

Hair dyes can cause brain tumors also, yet you don't see anyone stopping that practice or having hysterics.

Your just bieng dismissive. Deaf Babies have no cboice..
Stick around this site, and youl come across a fair few who without any choice, where drilled into as babies and have suffered severely due to it, ,but it matters little....our babies will get Inflicted with the drill and a hole in their head. to hell with us them or us. so multi national corportions can reap a profit.
Along with that is the negative affects on our culture, where parents are berrted and preasured to keep their children away from sign lest they "revert to being Deaf',
Its just a "technology of normalization", where the actual data and numbers of how well implanted kids actually do, compared with Deaf kids given the proper resources is ignored...and the only measure is speech...
Hey..
Adults can get another asshole drilled into them for alll i care, but they come for our babies....and thats a line for me and many...
But its irrelavent. What i or any Deaf state on the issue.billion dollor multi nationals will dictate and get what they want...
To hell with us and our cuture.
Its cultural colonialism plain and simple.
As the drill turns.....
Not dismissive entirely, just that it's a personal decision and everyone's circumstances are different. I get why people would want them and I get why they don't. When/if the time comes I'm not sure which way I'd go. On the one hand I'm a big fan of technology and swore I'd never become an old fuddy-duddy about it, but on the other I'm terribly averse to surgery and prefer avoid it when possible, plus tech implants are fairly frightening and might be where I allow myself to be a fuddy-duddy. I also think my life can/will be full of joy no matter what happens.

Admittedly I wasn't thinking about the kids when I replied. That's a much different topic, and I have very mixed feelings about it. I don't know what I'd do as a parent (have no intentions to have kids though).

For anyone capable of making their own decision, my comments stand.

Hair dyes can cause brain tumors also, yet you don't see anyone stopping that practice or having hysterics.

Its good pot doenst cause cancer, it makes these fat joints so much more enjoyable.....
Mmmmmmmmmm
"-)

Not dismissive entirely, just that it's a personal decision and everyone's circumstances are different. I get why people would want them and I get why they don't. When/if the time comes I'm not sure which way I'd go. On the one hand I'm a big fan of technology and swore I'd never become an old fuddy-duddy about it, but on the other I'm terribly averse to surgery and prefer avoid it when possible, plus tech implants are fairly frightening and might be where I allow myself to be a fuddy-duddy. I also think my life can/will be full of joy no matter what happens.

Admittedly I wasn't thinking about the kids when I replied. That's a much different topic, and I have very mixed feelings about it. I don't know what I'd do as a parent (have no intentions to have kids though).

For anyone capable of making their own decision, my comments stand.

Indeed regardng individual adults....to each thier own as socrates, or some other bearded wise greek, once mused.....well...

I did not know about hair dye....I guess just getting out of bed put yourself at risk of something

Its good pot doenst cause cancer, it makes these fat joints so much more enjoyable.....
Mmmmmmmmmm
"-)

It causes lung cancers just like tobacco. (Sorry to say this as an ex cigarette smoker, but it does.)

I did not know about hair dye....I guess just getting out of bed put yourself at risk of something
Any sun exposure, or flying, or breathing polluted air, eating food sprayed with pesticide, etc etc. The ways we increase the odds of developing cancer are endless. It's just some ways are more prone to increase odds than others, and some things we have to do, like breathing.

Even with cancer people live pretty long lives now, I try not to worry about it. We all die eventually, what matters is how we live.

And yet ... over 1000 a year are stuck by lightning. ... and that is only within the US

That's my point. You'd be more likely to be struck by lightning in a population of over 300,000,000 people that walk outside everyday. The statistical probability of a cochlear implant causing harm is far less than the possibility of even a cell phone, because the radio waves in an implant are far less. So small in fact, it is just a small amount above the EM radiation produced by a hearing aid. And no one complains about HA's causing cancer.

That's how small the power level is compared to the microwave radiation emitted by a cell phone, which has to send a signal for up to 5 miles. There is basically no comparison between the two.

Back