CI Surgery approved today

This setting is great if you want just to listen, but not that much when you also want to speak, at least for me.
When talking on the phone, I need to hear myself as well to know if I'm not talking too silent or too loud..
well, she will figure it out to her likings. It doesnt bother me as wearing the phone clip on my collar I ask the person if they can hear me ok and adjust my voice accordingly to them.... so dont really need to hear yourself, at least I dont.

Praying this horrible earache is gone for good. I took a long nap and when I woke up my earache pain has decreased.

Any of my CI peeps experience an earache after surgery? If I didn't have the earache, things would have turned out great so far.

Praying this horrible earache is gone for good. I took a long nap and when I woke up my earache pain has decreased.

Any of my CI peeps experience an earache after surgery? If I didn't have the earache, things would have turned out great so far.

So, how's it going? Directly after my surgery I had an earache which ended up just dulling down to a feeling of pressure in my ear for awhile but it all passed eventually. And seemed to affect my balance a little bit so I did keep a cane close by for a few days just in case.

So, how's it going? Directly after my surgery I had an earache which ended up just dulling down to a feeling of pressure in my ear for awhile but it all passed eventually. And seemed to affect my balance a little bit so I did keep a cane close by for a few days just in case.

Thank's for asking....no more pain just some redness on the scar behind my ear. I just have zero energy, no appetite at all. I need to get out of this funk and get strong because are next out of state trip is coming up. I haven't even left the house yet. This weekend I will do something though.

Thank's for asking....no more pain just some redness on the scar behind my ear. I just have zero energy, no appetite at all. I need to get out of this funk and get strong because are next out of state trip is coming up. I haven't even left the house yet. This weekend I will do something though.

The fitbit is calling your name ;) You can do it. Activation will be soon and it'll make it all worthwhile :hug:

The fitbit is calling your name ;) You can do it. Activation will be soon and it'll make it all worthwhile :hug:

HAHA can you see me or something????:giggle: I put my fitbit on an hour ago and went for a walk. Not a long walk but a walk. We go to Chicago third week in August. My daughter who is meeting us there from Ireland likes to go go go go go go go. She doesn't like to just sit and visit. She is in the South of France right now, then she is going to Germany then meeting us in Chicago. Rough life......

Thanks for the positive motivation, feeling better already.

How is everything coming along Angel?
Hope all is well and you are feeling up to par now.
I was messing with my CI's last couple nights, the left ear ( latest ci done) is still robotic sounding, as it hasnt quite caught up with the first yet, so I need to leave the right CI off from time to time to make the left work harder and catch up, but its close, but behind for being the same time frame as the first one after activation. But with both going everything sounds normal, just different if only wearing one.
But I am waiting to see how fast you catch on with the second after activation, as I was hearing equally with both after about 2 weeks ( 2 mappings) with both CI's but again, sound different when only wearing one ( I got to make the newest work a little harder alone and I havent been lately)

How is everything coming along Angel?
Hope all is well and you are feeling up to par now.
I was messing with my CI's last couple nights, the left ear ( latest ci done) is still robotic sounding, as it hasnt quite caught up with the first yet, so I need to leave the right CI off from time to time to make the left work harder and catch up, but its close, but behind for being the same time frame as the first one after activation. But with both going everything sounds normal, just different if only wearing one.
But I am waiting to see how fast you catch on with the second after activation, as I was hearing equally with both after about 2 weeks ( 2 mappings) with both CI's but again, sound different when only wearing one ( I got to make the newest work a little harder alone and I havent been lately)

Hey Mike,
Thank you for asking....I'm feeling a lot better. Went out for a long walk at the mall today. I'm just slightly off balanced but nothing too bad. I probably won't be activated until the very end of August. My surgeon does a two week follow up, then four weeks later activation. We have vacation during then too.
Maybe he will let activation happen sooner this time? I guess it depends on how well my scar has healed.

I'm super excited reading your posts, you seem to be doing amazing. I've been completely deaf in the new CI ear for over four years, no sound at all. I think it will catch on really quick though. I think you are right, let the newer CI work by itself for awhile, maybe a few hours a day, then add the second one later on. I'm super excited for all the accessories. Right now, with just one CI, I really can't talk on the phone. I'm hoping with the new phone clip it will really help. I also hope the tv streamer works well as I struggle to hear tv right now.

I'm sure I will have so many questions for you once I get activated. You have been so helpful and very encouraging with me, so thank you very, very much.

HAHA can you see me or something????:giggle: I put my fitbit on an hour ago and went for a walk. Not a long walk but a walk. We go to Chicago third week in August. My daughter who is meeting us there from Ireland likes to go go go go go go go. She doesn't like to just sit and visit. She is in the South of France right now, then she is going to Germany then meeting us in Chicago. Rough life......

Thanks for the positive motivation, feeling better already.

I'm psychic. So I read your mind
CrystalBall.gif

:D

It's two weeks post CI surgery. Stitches are fading and the scar is healing nicely. See the CI surgeon on Thursday and will schedule my activation appointment at that time. Recovery this time has been a breeze. Ahhhhhh..........

this was my butchering job... some docs are all drastic ?

Attachments

• 10862675_775851532488839_2644302023585632645_o.jpg
    10862675_775851532488839_2644302023585632645_o.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 24
They are surgeons aren't they all drastic? This was just after I got home the day after surgery. (They kept me over night.)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 021009_1047.jpg
    021009_1047.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 131
The techniques and procedures have changed over time and dependant on the model of implant. A surgeon will use the technique he is most comfortable with or has the least amount of complications usually based on his/her own experience

They are surgeons aren't they all drastic? This was just after I got home the day after surgery. (They kept me over night.)

attachment.php

Your's was very similiar to my last surgery I just had. Not quite sure about my first CI surgery, I had such an allergic reaction I didn't really notice the scar. One thing I've noticed about this latest surgery is that I don't have that indentation right behind my ear. It may be there, might be to swollen to notice it though.

I'm glad you and Mike shared your CI scars...let's others know what they might expect.

At what point was this picture taken? I'm going for surgery on my right ear on August 10th so I'm pretty curious about what to expect. I guess they use staples where I'm getting it done so I may have different results? Unfortunately they don't keep you overnight so I have a 2 hour car ride back home following surgery. How were you feeling immediately after? Not looking forward to this at all, just want it to be done with!

At what point was this picture taken? I'm going for surgery on my right ear on August 10th so I'm pretty curious about what to expect. I guess they use staples where I'm getting it done so I may have different results? Unfortunately they don't keep you overnight so I have a 2 hour car ride back home following surgery. How were you feeling immediately after? Not looking forward to this at all, just want it to be done with!

I had surgical glue and my incision was nice and neat and now you really can't even see it unless you are really looking for it.

With a 2 hour car ride home I would probably opt to stay in a hotel overnight and drive home the next day. My 30 minute ride home was bad enough. I don't do well with anesthesia though.

So good to read you are enjoying your CI. Must be overwhelming to hear so many sounds, but wonderful to hear your brain is recognizing Los sounds again.

Regarding noise while flying.. Just go to a lower program, or set the processor to a setting where it focuses on nearby sounds. (Or the "T" for the hearing loop..)
Otherwise, just take the CI off. Another possibility if you want to keep them on is to put earphones on and perhaps even listen to a book.. Another (expensive) solution is to use sound cancellation earphones. If you know someone that has them, try them out. The noise from the plane is really cancelled out, and you will only hear the voices of fellow travelers.
Lotte will not take them off, or even put them on a lower program.. But then, she is used to the sounds.

Regarding CI equipment. Make sure you have batteries /charger available. with Lotte we have backup stuff checked in, but the battery charger we carry with us. We need to charge the batteries even when our luggage is lost or delayed. After all, it could be days..

Enjoy your freedom.. ;-)
Does the CI really make a difference? How bad do you have to be to get approved for one? My problem isn't volume so much as understanding language. I'm asking because I just lost a job due to my hearing impairment. (Yes, that's the reason they gave)

Does the CI really make a difference? How bad do you have to be to get approved for one? My problem isn't volume so much as understanding language. I'm asking because I just lost a job due to my hearing impairment. (Yes, that's the reason they gave)

In the US the base is less than 50% speech scores and to medically qualify. There are other factors but that is a good starting point. As for the job, if hearing is a main function of your job and you can't do the job with reasonable accommodation (amplified telephone usually), they can let you go. I retired from my job because I could no longer hear on the phone. Ask your audi about getting tested for CI's. The first test is doing the speech testing in the booth and if you fail that test (get less than 50%) you move on to meet with the surgeon. If you don't score low enough, maybe new HA's??

Took everything out of the Cochlear suitcase, WOW a lot of stuff to charge and learn about. Getting it all ready for my Wednesday activation appointment.

Back