Seattle 6th Graders Can’t Get a Coke at School, But Can Get an IUD

I posted in the other threat, but these contraceptives are put in by medical professionals. It's not like they are buying them in a kit at the pharmacy and using them without any medical support.

I think it's a great program. I doubt it encourages girls to have sex. Rather, it allows girls who are having sex the ability to continue with their lives without the burden of a pregnancy. I would be absolutely fine if my young daughter did this. I would hope she didn't, because I would be perfectly willing to take her to the gynecologist with no judgement whatsoever. I would prefer my children were a little older before they had sex so they would be better able to emotionally and financially handle the repercussions of sex, but if they started younger I'm damn well going to make sure they have the medical support they need as someone who is sexually active.

Wrong this is a horrible idea ! The parents are the only that decide if they want their underage daughter to have an IUD not some stranger that know nothing about the girls medical history . I would had sued anyone that did this to my daughter !

Regarding STDs, these kids are also taught to use condoms and that the IUDs and the birth control implant is not a substitute for it.

No, IUDs do not need to be replaced yearly. The hormonal IUD needs to be replaced every 3 or 5 years, depending on which one you have. The copper IUD is every 10 years.

rockin' robin, the school isn't implanting anyone. Rather, these health clinics are in the schools so that kids can have access to health care that either their parents can't or won't take them for, or they are too embarrassed or afraid to go to their parents for. It's legally allowed for kids to get reproductive health care without their parents' consent.

Bebonang, where did you see that kids were being bribed with candy and soda to get IUDs? The lack of candy and soda in schools is because of the push against obesity, it has nothing to do with access to reproductive health care.

Reba, when the kids are in school, they have the health clinics right there at school for them. I checked, they are open year round. It's not like the IUDs and other contraceptive implants are given like a Ron Popeil's rotisserie chicken, "Set it and forget it." When they leave school, they are either adults or going off to college, and in either situation their health care is something they need to take care of.

Are they wanting sixth graders to have sex at they age? I was still too involved playing games and sports then. I understand puberty starts at that age but most girls are so emotional from that it is creepy. Poor kids.

Are they wanting sixth graders to have sex at they age? I was still too involved playing games and sports then. I understand puberty starts at that age but most girls are so emotional from that it is creepy. Poor kids.

it certainly ia creepy...in sex ed up here they nowbteach grade three anal sex...
They may claim the agenda isnt about wantinf.kids.that youngbto have sex....
But when they.start all.this nonsense.its rather easy to seebthriugh theie hype...
Also...
turns. out one of the main a archetects of the above (anal sex in grade three) was convicted of being a pedo....he was rsther high in thebgov.buy the gov claims his chikd.sex.programm after theyvstalked ir for obviouw backlash...will remain unchanged and implented...
The state owns your kids not parents..
your kids will.be assimilitaed....!!!!

There is no way I would send my child to a government school these days.

The earlier that you teach kids comprehensive sex ed, the more knowledge they have. I'm sure 8 year olds are taught about same sex relationships, the sexual part, the same way they are taught about the sexual part of opposite sex relationships. That is, they use appropriate terminology and give just enough for the kids to handle at that age.

Countries where sex ed is a normal and healthy part of the the education kids get results in a lowered pregnancy rate and fewer STDs. That's hard to argue with. Even in the US, the states wth the least comprehensive sex ed have the highest pregnancy and STD rates. We really need to stop thinking that sex ed is something that only older kids need. By that time it is too damn late.

The earlier that you teach kids comprehensive sex ed, the more knowledge they have. I'm sure 8 year olds are taught about same sex relationships, the sexual part, the same way they are taught about the sexual part of opposite sex relationships. That is, they use appropriate terminology and give just enough for the kids to handle at that age.

Countries where sex ed is a normal and healthy part of the the education kids get results in a lowered pregnancy rate and fewer STDs. That's hard to argue with. Even in the US, the states wth the least comprehensive sex ed have the highest pregnancy and STD rates. We really need to stop thinking that sex ed is something that only older kids need. By that time it is too damn late.

thats one way to look at.another is kids will be screwing themselves more like wee bunny rabbits due to the amount of sex ed and detaiks they get inundated with....
Why anyonw thinks thsts a good thing is any ones guess...
I dont buy the argument grade three kids need to know detwiks of anal.sex..
Toss all the.stats around you likE
Statistics are loke people, torture them long enough, they tell you whst you want.
Regardless..
The state wons youe children if the stste wnts to teach your grade three boy and dusghters the wonders of bum sex, it will..to hell with you...
Same goes with any and all of the rest of the agenda...iud, you name it, its all rather twisted really....

I am not sure if sex ed changes the amount of sex kids would have, but if they obtain proper sex ed at least they will know how to have safer sex...not using a candy wrapper or thinking certain positions prevent pregnancy... they...dare I say will have smarter sex if they so choose... but by how far is anyone's guess... just because a child is not taught about sex does not mean they will not give it a go....

A little more insight from someone in Seattle. Yes we are very liberal here. People also treat their kids as if they were capable of making their own decisions once they're middle school age. Kids make their own decisions all the time anyway, and people here just don't turn a blind eye to that. Giving young people legitimate ways to obtain contraceptive instead of shady (or no) ways is a whole lot safer.

The sex ed programs also give plenty of information in regards to safety, laws, the right to say no, etc. They've given up on the abstenance teaching because there have been countless studies that show it doesn't prevent teenage pregnancy, or STDs. There is plenty of evidence that shows educated kids make better decisions.

Personally, I don't have kids, but I was raised in a really open household. My folks answered all my questions and I had a decent sex ed program in grade school. I personally feel all that made me much more careful and overall healthy in regards to relationships. I'd be happy to send my kids to Seattle public schools if I had them.

Regarding STDs, these kids are also taught to use condoms and that the IUDs and the birth control implant is not a substitute for it.

No, IUDs do not need to be replaced yearly. The hormonal IUD needs to be replaced every 3 or 5 years, depending on which one you have. The copper IUD is every 10 years.

rockin' robin, the school isn't implanting anyone. Rather, these health clinics are in the schools so that kids can have access to health care that either their parents can't or won't take them for, or they are too embarrassed or afraid to go to their parents for. It's legally allowed for kids to get reproductive health care without their parents' consent.

Bebonang, where did you see that kids were being bribed with candy and soda to get IUDs? The lack of candy and soda in schools is because of the push against obesity, it has nothing to do with access to reproductive health care.

Reba, when the kids are in school, they have the health clinics right there at school for them. I checked, they are open year round. It's not like the IUDs and other contraceptive implants are given like a Ron Popeil's rotisserie chicken, "Set it and forget it." When they leave school, they are either adults or going off to college, and in either situation their health care is something they need to take care of.

Well, to my understanding what the article is saying that the kids can not have Coca Cola (pop) and Candy Bars as their treats but was banned last 2004. I did not see the year that banned them. I thought the kids were forced not to have their treats if they want them but instead of treats, they can get IUD implanted without their parents consent or knowledge.

Anyway, I thought it is odd that the 6th graders so young and naive had to pushed into the IUD without the consent of their parents. It would be okay if they were in high school like 8th grade if they start getting interest in boys and curious about their sexuality. That is my feeling, I guess. :hmm:

I reakon most of America taught same thing apart from bible belt this just been worded in such away cause big shock

Back